Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ATT Uverse was charging dad $220/month for...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

ATT Uverse was charging dad $220/month for...

Sep 25, 2019, 10:10 PM

15mbps DSL service plus HD service that included two boxes. I heard that ATT Uverse changed their tune by offering ACCN today. Too little too late. Dad had Comcast Xfinity broadband serice installed today 100mbps. $30/month for the first year then jumps up to $60/month after a year. He then subscribed to YouTubeTV for $50/month.

$80/month now instead of ridiculous $220/month. He tried several attempts to ask Uverse for a more reasonable cost but they insisted that $220 was the best they can do. Glad he told them to eff themselves.

A side benefit is that he can block all those chitty channels that he never ever wants to watch AND he can arrange the channel list to group similar channels together and put his favorite channels at the top of the list. With chitty Uverse you had to jump all over the place to find the channels you want to watch buried in all the chitty channels.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ATT Uverse was charging dad $220/month for...

Sep 25, 2019, 10:27 PM

Throw that crap on the ground and switch your dad to YouTube TV and save him a bundle. it is pretty easy and best of luck. GO TIGERS

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2019, 10:29 PM

Your Dad is a smart man must have graduated College in top of his class

Dadgum, I did not realize Junior posted on Tnet. Call your

Sep 25, 2019, 10:31 PM

mother....

Wow that's a lot. I have 50mbps and 495 channels

Sep 25, 2019, 10:51 PM

including HBO and 2 receivers for $114 for Uverse. When my contract runs up and the price goes up I go to their website and find their deals, then call and ask immediately for retentions. Then I tell them I want the deal online or I will cxl and I am willing to extend 2 more years. They always give it to me. I've been happy with my service ever since I got it.

Deals like that are typically only offered...

Sep 26, 2019, 8:26 AM

...where there is competition like Google Fiber, etc. Unfortunately dad only has a choice of ATT or Comcast. And, ATT is only providing DSL and it maxes out at 15mbps on a good day. Some people like having 500 channels but dad figures that if 400 are garbage channels then it's just clutter he has to navigate around and it actually becomes less enjoyable. But, you got a good deal with Uverse.

Not true- I only have 2 options for internet also

Sep 26, 2019, 8:57 AM

And I do what the guy above states- every year they try to inch it up and I call - you have to get to the retention department. I pay $181 - all-in- 3 boxes- the # of channels mentioned above, their highest internet speed and unlimited phone service. I could save $30 by dropping the tv and subscribing to YouTube but I lose a ton of channels and the UI experience of U-verse over YT makes it worth it for me

Used to have AT&T DSL. Had about 3mbps. Then they called

Sep 26, 2019, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Deals like that are typically only offered... ]

me up one day and said "we are going to upgrade you to digital, and your bill will be less!". Sounded good. I asked the dude what it would do to my internet speed. He checked, and then his enthusiasm was immediately gone. He said, no lie, that it would make it SLOWER. He said he would put me on the list of folks not to upgrade. Luckily Comporium was running fiber down the street, and I now have fiber to the back of the modem with about 940mbps at my desktop. And a whole lot of streaming going on!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much is Comporium charging you?***

Sep 26, 2019, 1:09 PM

The internet (1gig) is $94 per month. You can get less speed

Sep 26, 2019, 1:32 PM

for less money if you like, but less does not make Lakebabe happy! She's been doing some work from home and it makes it quite painless.

Sep 26, 2019, 12:52 AM

I did the same with the Spectrum TV, but I had to keep their internet for $70 a month, and Youtube TV for $50 bucks. To me, Spectrum wasn't worth the $100 bucks more a month that they were charging me, and I was paying them $238 a month for something that just keeps going up, and you can never own it!!! Under those conditions cheaper is better and less money that you never see again bc, they are selling a signal that can't be owned!!!

With TWC/Spectrum, in 15 years I had over $40K invested in them, and I didn't own one Mega pixel of it!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2019, 8:55 AM

Pretty much did the same thing.
Charter internet for $70 a month (They claim 200mps, most I've seen is 180mps).
YouTubeTV for $50 a month (w/YouTubeTV you can set up 4 more family members under your account).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ability to sort the channels like I prefer, is one of

Sep 26, 2019, 1:04 AM

the best features of YouTube TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ability to sort the channels like I prefer, is one of

Sep 26, 2019, 8:57 AM

Yep, dropped off the Telemundo and cartoon garb then moved my favorite channels to the top.
Sweet feature that translates to whatever platform you want to watch it on.

Sep 26, 2019, 1:32 AM

And I thought my $185 monthly TW/Spectrum bill was bad. That totals up to $11,100 in five years. Was raised $40 over a five month period. Switched to PSvue several months ago and have been reasonably satisfied. The issue I have with them now is they reconfigured the guide a few weeks ago. Previously could scan both forward and back at least a week. Scanning forward made adding DVR selections easier. Now can't scan back at all and just an additional hour forward from the current time. Also the channels don't roll forward the same as the time progresses. Still like the available channels with the current package, but will begin checking out Utube tv.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Sep 26, 2019, 8:38 AM

I have playstation vue and I can scan back 7 days and scan forward 5 days. I'm not sure what happened with yours. If you are using a firestick or roku maybe you should reset or reboot the unit. I have no idea if that would work or not but you could try.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2019, 1:38 PM

Thanks I'll give it a try. There are a number of similar complaints on the PSvue forum.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Sep 26, 2019, 9:15 AM

Sorry but you dad wasn't paying $220 for just Uverse. My guess is that paying that for Uverse + internet + phone + 2 boxes. I pay about $250/month for Uverse 300, internet at 100mbps, phone and 4 boxes.

I've priced out Spectrum and there's no cost savings (in fact it was going to cost more for the same service). They are all competitive. They know what each other charges.

Did you even read the first sentence...says what's included

Sep 26, 2019, 9:24 AM

No phone service. Like just about 95% of the rest of the population now, he doesn't have phone service through the ISP. 15mbps DSL is a joke and that's the highest speed they can provide. He's paying $30 for 60mbps through Comcast Infinity although yesterday I read an article that Comcast is doing "free" upgrades to the next speed level. He had Comcast there yesterday to install ISP service and is showing 100+ mbps. Not bad for $30.

Sep 26, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: ATT Uverse was charging dad $220/month for... ]

What should be regulated by the state or feds is ATT being able to charge lease fees for those "TV boxes" @ $10 per month - per box.

TV boxes probably cost them about $30 - maybe as low as $10 - maybe as high as $45-ish (x the MILLIONS they purchase in bulk). To think I've paid them about $1,060 per year for 8 years of box "rental" (3 boxes) - it's just highway robbery.

Better solution is to take away their "protected" market

Sep 26, 2019, 10:21 AM

The vast majority of communities have just one "phone company" and one "cable company". And, this is the way it's been for over 50 years. Protecting these companies by disallowing others to come in just makes for lazy overpriced service unwilling to upgrade the infrastructure. Competition would force them to chit or get off the pot.

Sep 26, 2019, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: ATT Uverse was charging dad $220/month for... ]

That is what runs the bill up with Spectrum, and after you pay the monthly charge for whatever box you choose, they will charge another $4 bucks to record on the box that you have to get that will allow you to record if you pay the $4 record fee!!!!!!!!! :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are paying way to much- call the retention department

Sep 26, 2019, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: ATT Uverse was charging dad $220/month for... ]

- there are scripts online- if the first person in the retention dept doesn't do it - hang up and call back and get someone else. I pay < $185 and have everything you have minus 1 box(I have 3- 1 wireless)

Reading posts where the various alternatives to the big

Sep 26, 2019, 9:24 AM

providers are described is about the only time I regret moving to a mountaintop where the ONLY option I have is satellite TV and internet. . .

. . . $250/mo for paradise isn’t such a stiff price to pay!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Reading posts where the various alternatives to the big

Sep 26, 2019, 9:33 AM

Do you at least have decent wine for those making the trek to the top of the mountain to gain knowledge from your wisdom?

Sep 26, 2019, 10:26 AM

I dumped DirectTV at $150 a month. Now with YouTubeTV for $50. No regrets at all

Still hoping someone runs real internet at Mom & Dad's place

Sep 26, 2019, 11:11 AM

in the near future. They have directv via satellite and hughesnet internet also via satellite. SLOW SLOW SLOW internet!

ATT can suck it

Sep 26, 2019, 11:13 AM

They refuse to offer better deals because in so many places, they're the only feasible provider, so they make no bones about bending customers over the barrel because they can. Their customer service is the worst, too. I had immense trouble with them when I had to contact them just about a regular landline. I can't imagine how infuriating they are about other services like high-speed internet. I don't intend ever to find out, either.

Ditch ATT!!

Sep 26, 2019, 11:29 AM

I tell everyone I meet, ditch them. And this is coming from someone who's grandpa used to work for ATT, was a stockholder and I'm as loyal a customer to anyone as you'll ever meet. I've had ATT since it was Cingular in the early 2000's. They used to have excellent customer service, and with that, my plan grew from one cell phone to 2 phones, then cable and also internet. I was paying $400/month and was okay with that.. and then I got a bill and saw where it had gone up $50. I call and find out a promotion expired, and that another "promotion" would be expiring in October and it would go up $50 more. I couldn't justify paying $500/month, so that started my fight with them. In more than 20 conversations, I never spoke with anyone that had a basic grasp of English. They kept trying to shuffle my plan, to save me some money, but with that came different hardware. None of it was compatible with other things, I bought extenders and those weren't compatible, they missed 2 service appointments and I started getting charged for more things. My fight went on for 3 months and every month, the bill continued to climb. Even the retention people are Indian with an extremely limited grasp of English.

That was it - I cancelled my internet and cable. Called Xfinity and they had me set up in less than 15 minutes. Drove to a local office, picked up a router, plugged it in and it worked instatly. I bought Roku boxes for my entire house and subscribed to YoutubeTV. My original Xfinity plan was $50/month for ~60MB service (and then another $50 for YTTV). In the past week, Comcast/Xfinity has increased the speeds on their own; a test last night showed me at about 125/MB.

I still am paying about $125/month for my two cell phones, but I'll be cancelling those shortly also. But - had I known then what I know now, I would have cancelled ATT U-Verse/Internet months ago. For a couple hours of work, I was able to slash my Cable/Internet portion from around $275/month to exactly $100/month. An instant saving of $2100 a year.

For mobile take a look at Good2Go Mobile. $15/month...

Sep 26, 2019, 1:08 PM

...for unlimited talk, text, data. High speed data up to 1GB data then slower after that. I seem to only use 1/2GB at most every month because everywhere I go typically WiFi is available. I'm switching soon from Cricket at $30/month. Both Cricket and Good2Go Mobile are on ATT network so no difference in service.

Every time I read one of these I am glad Charter Spectrum

Sep 26, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Ditch ATT!! ]

Only charges me $101

Tv select package (no ACCN)
100 mb internet
1 box
No DVR
Other 4 TVs use roku and spectrum app

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Every time I read one of these I am glad Charter Spectrum

Sep 26, 2019, 3:24 PM

Something that I haven't heard anyone mention about the #1 ripoff that Spectrum does. After you buy the Gold package and the boxes for Digital HD and DVR. When you go to HBO on demand, part of that charges you to rent the new movies they add once a month. I am so glad and happy that I went with Youtube TV, there is no extra cost for any movie that I watch on their demand. Those movies that Spectrum would charge you fee to rent them, if I wanted to see it, I would use my Fire stick and watch those rented movies for absolutely FREE!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic