Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As a former athiest.... I think I understand the FFRF
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

As a former athiest.... I think I understand the FFRF

Apr 18, 2014, 1:32 PM

position. However, I never felt the urge to stamp out the beliefs of others. I simply thought christians were weird and delusional. There was no need to get upset about. I just laughed at "those people" and moved on. Who cares.

The thing is... if I was just a random accident and the product of millions of years of macro-evolution (i.e. ape to man), then life had no purpose or meaning anyway. I was less than dust. If there is no consciousness after death, then it would be as if I had never existed anyway. Think about that for a minute. As the apostle Paul and later Dave Mathews said: eat, drink and be merry... for tomorrow we die!

But some time after having children, I began to ask questions like "is this really all there is?", "where is the evidence for macro-evolution?" and "can I see design in nature?". I decided to look. Then I ran into Romans 1:20 and realized that design was all around me. I am a living machine. I had no excuse. I never did. There was a designer that had made himself plain to me through creation itself.

So why is the FFRF upset with Christianity at Clemson. The real root of this position is evil itself. The same evil (against God) nature that once ruled my life and that I battle every day. But I thank Christ my savior for showing me how much he loved me by going to the cross for my sins. I thank Him for reaching down and giving me something I could NEVER deserve or earn... Grace. I thank him for life and my existence. How amazing is it that we are alive and can ponder why. We take so much for granted every day.

My life now has meaning, purpose, and hope. I pray that you will ask the questions. I believe enough evidence exist out there to lead any seeker to the same reasonable conclusion. The new testament and books by former athiest Lee Stroebel ("The Case for Faith", and "The Case for Christ") would be good places to start your search.
You can read about another historical proof (The Resurrection) from the eyewitness testimony of Paul in 1 Corinthians chapter 15.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well put brother

Apr 18, 2014, 1:42 PM

i don't think bEing an atheist means

Apr 18, 2014, 1:42 PM

You have any idea what they are thinking. That is like me saying I know what the pope is thinking because I was raised Catholic.

If you start an organization that makes sure people follow the rules then that is what you should do. How you choose to do that is up to you. I don't know why they chose Clemson over any other school in the south but they did. Only they know why.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: i don't think bEing an atheist means

Apr 18, 2014, 1:52 PM

He means he can empathise with the atheist! The same way I understand fellow believers because we stand on the same moral ground and world view!

Re: As a former athiest.... I think I understand the FFRF

Apr 18, 2014, 1:45 PM

If I go before I’m old
Oh brother of mine please don’t forget me if I go
Bartender please, fill my glass for me
With the wine you gave Jesus that set him free, after three days in the ground.

I love me some Dave Matthews

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Wishing All a GOOD FRIDAY and Peace & Good Will to Men!

Apr 18, 2014, 1:50 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2014, 1:50 PM

Thank you for posting this. I think you should also send this to Annie Laurie Gaylor. The bottom line is that atheism is born out of total rebellion against God. It is simply man's attempt to live life with no moral accountability or consequence. This organization is evil, no doubt, but God said that what man meant for evil he can work for his good! How anyone can bring a child into this world and not be mindful of God is beyond me. It changed my life and I was already a Christian when my sone was born.
Thanks for sharing your testimony! I would encourage you to keep pursuing Gods will for your life!

can also say that Christianity is an attempt to live without

Apr 18, 2014, 3:17 PM

Consequences because no matter what you do all you have to do is say you're sorry and all is forgiven.

No. Christians don't believe there are no consequences. You

Apr 18, 2014, 10:13 PM

can do wrong, be forgiven, but still suffer the consequences.

Wow just when I thought I'd heard it all***

Apr 18, 2014, 10:29 PM [ in reply to can also say that Christianity is an attempt to live without ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You have to do more than just "say" it, you have to mean it.***

Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM [ in reply to can also say that Christianity is an attempt to live without ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, if there was a player who felt he was discriminated

Apr 18, 2014, 1:53 PM

against because he didnt attend church or bible study with the team, then he would have a great lawsuit. but why is this FFRF butting their noses in the team's business. Nobody has complained, the players come here because they like the family and faith aspect of the team and coaches.

But that aren't trying to stamp out your religion

Apr 18, 2014, 1:54 PM

They've just asked clemson not to violate the constitution.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

LOL! You give those people too much credit***

Apr 18, 2014, 2:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But that aren't trying to stamp out your religion

Apr 18, 2014, 2:06 PM [ in reply to But that aren't trying to stamp out your religion ]

Asking Clemson not to violate their interpretation of the Constitution.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

The Supreme Court's interpretation of the Constitution.

Apr 18, 2014, 2:12 PM

FTFY

Re: The Supreme Court's interpretation of the Constitution.

Apr 18, 2014, 2:48 PM

That could be the case in the future but it is not currently. I'm specifically speaking of the Chaplain. There very well could be an actual Constitutional violation occurring that I'm not aware of, but the chaplain is not one of them. The supreme court ruled in Marsh v. Chambers, 463 U.S. 783 (1983)That a Government funded Chaplain is not a violation of the Constitution. And James Trapps Postion as Life Coach is privately funded so that is even removed from the argument.

TO be fair

Apr 18, 2014, 2:08 PM [ in reply to But that aren't trying to stamp out your religion ]

They aren't simply asking them not to violate the constitution, they are making the assertion that actions are occurring at Clemson that violate the Constitution.

That is where I simply disagree with them.

I'm no fan of the hatred and misinformation aimed at them, but I also do not agree with their central thesis in this situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a fair point Thom

Apr 18, 2014, 2:18 PM

But you're clearly in the minority on that opinion from what I've read the past two days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I have no doubt I am

Apr 18, 2014, 2:23 PM

I find myself in that role quite often.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But that aren't trying to stamp out your religion

Apr 18, 2014, 2:57 PM [ in reply to But that aren't trying to stamp out your religion ]

And they aren't so move on!

Well said brother.***

Apr 18, 2014, 1:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2014, 2:08 PM

Post of the year my friend. May God bless you and your family and I hope that through your thoughts expressed here may provoke some folks on this site to question things just as you did. Happy Easter!

POTD***

Apr 18, 2014, 2:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Great Post First Look!! You said it! Well done

Apr 18, 2014, 2:16 PM

Thank you for sharing that experience

I too think First Look gets the POTD award!***

Apr 18, 2014, 2:19 PM

Apr 18, 2014, 2:28 PM

I'm sorry I have but one TU to give. Post of the year. I love Clemson, Clemson sports, and the Clemson family, but what you talk about in your post is what life is about. Thank you for sharing. You encouraged me today!

After reading your post I didn't see where you wrote about

Apr 18, 2014, 3:01 PM

how you understand the FFRF. I just read about you and how you went from being atheist to Christian. What do you understand about the FFRF's position?

He answered it, just not directly.

Apr 18, 2014, 9:56 PM

What he said was they are ignorant. Or to put it as John Newton did, he was blind, but now he sees. They're still blind.

Apr 18, 2014, 3:04 PM

Hallelujah to The Lamb of God!!!

Apr 18, 2014, 3:23 PM

GREAT POST!

Amen.***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2014, 3:27 PM

Kinda like Darth Vader.... Everyone wants to become the good guy when faced with eternal damnation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Children totally change your life

Apr 18, 2014, 3:27 PM

And that's not just a cliche saying. It's easy to understand the draw of atheism, abortion, and all the other evils in the world when you are not married, have no children, and have the "luxury" of being selfish and self-serving.

Marriage gets you half-way to being truly selfless, but children push you to 110%. Caring MORE about someone than you do yourself makes you see yourself and the world in a totally different way. But most importantly, it makes you a better person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2014, 7:34 PM

You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar. As a seminary student who has been sitting here trying to figure out how to draft what you have just put so eloquently, I will resolve to keep from posting and join you in a hallelujah and an amen. :)

Apr 18, 2014, 8:44 PM

Awesome post. Happy Easter!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope you don't mind, but I shared this

Apr 19, 2014, 10:24 AM

on my Facebook page. You can visit my page and add me as a friend. Travis Lee Hamrick. This way you can see that I did not alter any of the contents. Thank you for your intelligent approach to this matter.

PRAISE THE LORD!!!and GO TIGERS!!!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Would FFR be happier if the football coaches instead

Apr 19, 2014, 10:57 AM

Offered the players money and girls?

Crazy how prayer can twist some people's panties in a wad

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Apr 19, 2014, 11:23 AM

GREAT POST!! I am thankful for your salvation!I am reminded what Jesus said "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"...... this sure applies to this bunch of hate mongers!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen, Brother***

Apr 19, 2014, 1:16 PM

nm

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic