Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would Bradon Galloway be eligible for the CFP?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Would Bradon Galloway be eligible for the CFP?

Jul 15, 2019, 11:41 AM

I keep getting the impression that he is gone for the entirety of the season, but I would have thought that since his suspension started with the CFP that he would become eligible again at the same time. I understand that he might not be game ready, especially at that level, but it would be nice to, at least, be able to use him in some situational spots.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would Bradon Galloway be eligible for the CFP?

Jul 15, 2019, 11:47 AM

I read earlier he would not be eligible

Jul 15, 2019, 12:16 PM

He was ruled ineligible on or about Dec 28, 2018. He would be reinstated on same date in 2019. That means could possibly be there for playoffs, but he will NOT play during this regular season.

Jul 15, 2019, 12:41 PM

That's correct, His suspension is for 1 year from the date of suspension. That means he would be eligible for the CFP and may end up playing if needed or in the case of a blowout. I couldn't imagine him becoming as starter at that point unless something happens to our depth at TE during the season. By the time we make it to the CFP we will have a TE that has a lot of experience and the need for Galloway to play would be minimal.

Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 1:21 PM

Thanks for confirmation on when his eligibility is reinstated. Like you I would not expect for him to play a lot, but I would also be surprised not to see him used some. I believe that he is still allowed to practice with the team, so I believe that in many ways he will be prepared when the time comes.

Jul 15, 2019, 1:19 PM

Can he practice and work out with the team during the season or has he been suspended from all football activities?

Jul 15, 2019, 1:20 PM

This question has been posed several times, and received numerous authoritative and logical responses.

Yet the question still remains, because only the NCAA can answer it, and i have not yet seen them cited.

The majority of responses have been that he will be reinstated in December when his 12-month suspension ends. Many media outlets have said that, too.

The problem with that interpretation is that that type of timeline comes from professional leagues, not the NCAA. The NCAA is a monster of a different breed from a professional oversight league.

The NCAA'S penalty was 'one full season of eligibility'. By that understanding, the fact that he was suspended for the end of his FR season has no bearing on his SO season; in other words, let's say his suspension occurred on Oct 15--would he then be reinstated after the following Oct 15? By the explanation i have been given by a friend on a football staff but who is totally unciteable--his suspension would actually be 'the remainder of the current season plus one full season of eligibility'. That would mean he can come back in 2020 as a JR.

I also believe BG is in murky waters with few precedents. If what I'm suggesting is the case, he might have been allowed to play in the CFP with the right kind of appeal. The Tigers and the individual players suspended may have 'misplayed' this whole situation because they had no idea that different legal strategies might be more advantageous for different persons. I think they were all so convinced they would be exonerated that they didn't adequately consider the various alternatives of action.

Jul 15, 2019, 8:29 PM

How much do you charge for a retainer?

Jul 15, 2019, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Would Bradon Galloway be eligible for the CFP? ]

This was a great, informative answer, RW, and I accidentally TD’d it. I wish I could fix it. So sorry.

The NCAAs own website says 365 days

Jul 15, 2019, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Would Bradon Galloway be eligible for the CFP? ]

"The penalty for a positive test for a performance-enhancing drug (PED) is strict and automatic: student-athletes lose one full year of eligibility for the first offense (25 percent of their total eligibility) and are withheld from competition for 365 days from the date of the test. A second positive test for a PED results in the loss of all remaining eligibility."

But i also saw it quoted elsewhere as a minimum of 365 days upon which the player must request and be granted reinstatement.

Either way I dont think he would play in the playoff after missing the entire regular season.

The playoff begins on Dec 28, 2019. He was ruled ineligible

Jul 15, 2019, 2:16 PM

on Dec 28, 2018 I believe. So it may depend on which time zone we play in. If we are ranked #2, we will play in Arizona in the later game. I would think he should be eligible for that.

If we play in Atlanta for the early game, then his year suspension may not be up until halftime.

Jul 15, 2019, 7:22 PM

For PEDs, the suspension is for 365 days from the date of the failed test. See link

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/topics/frequently-asked-questions-about-drug-testing

I scanned through the NCAA drug program site but couldn't tell whether practice with the team is allowed or not. Another link

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/SSI2018-19_Drug_Testing_Program_Protocol_20180706.PDF

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 9:42 PM

Thanks for the official link. It answers numerous questions, including the most important ones, but not all, since it does not address reinstatement at all.

Pretty sure BG will also have to score a negative reading--I.e., "pass"--another drug test prior to being reinstated. This would need to be an NCAA-administered test, not just a Clemson-administered test. Hopefully that would be scheduled to happen before the 365-day period ends.

So far as practicing with the team, I'm pretty sure that's the same as keeping a scholly--up to the HC discretion.

At UF, Will Grier said he no longer felt welcome at team activities, like practice, though the UF coach says he never kicked him off the team.

BG practiced this spring while his case was under appeal. Pretty sure Dabo has the freedom to get him practice reps. I also imagine he can lift and work out with the team; losing a year of eligibility would be bad enough, but losing a year of S&C could be catastrophic to professional aspirations. The guideline says he is to be 'withheld from competition'. So I'm pretty sure he cannot wear a uniform on the sideline of an official game now that his appeal was denied, but all else is good.

But hey! What do I know? I made the mistake of trusting a source who has never had a player suspended for PEDs.

Jul 15, 2019, 9:56 PM

No

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic