Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Workplace converting to Unlimited PTO on January 2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Workplace converting to Unlimited PTO on January 2

Dec 23, 2020, 9:06 AM

Is this the beginning of the end like some Lungers say?

We are a VERY strong company, I think this is just a way to sell us on a benefit that actually isn't. I have a week and a half or so of vacation built up, looks like that gets frozen to be paid out when they eventually fire me.

LOLOLOLOLOL. Unlimited my ass

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ehhh, we did it a few years ago

Dec 23, 2020, 9:12 AM

our company tracks it religiously, I typically don't take all of my time and before, my boss would get on me for taking my vacay time, now ? No one gives a tdrake®.

Whatever you had at the time in vacay days is now your limit in "permissive time" so you can't earn extra time off. Luckily I was at 5 weeks, but I feel bad for the new comers

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is a limit? Who says?

Dec 24, 2020, 1:39 PM

I was told very much the opposite...no one tracks it. At least not in my immediate org.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

We have to track it.

Dec 24, 2020, 1:50 PM

Which is weird.

If its unlimited, what's the difference, amiright?

It definitely "tracked" but I think my manager

Dec 24, 2020, 2:03 PM

Was effectively saying she never looks at it. Nor has she been asked to.

I actually checked my own because I felt like I had taken a ton with the homeschooling nonsense, but it really was the same.

Most folks try to take what they were getting before the change. 3/4/5 weeks plus 5 personal days plus 5 sick days or whatever.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

We had unlimited for a while at my old company

Dec 23, 2020, 9:13 AM

I thot of it as an insurance policy in case you got farred. They later changed it to max 2080.

Anyways, was nice when I left to cash out 600 hours.

New company max is about 320.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm at 500hrs (almost ed zachary)

Dec 23, 2020, 1:43 PM

500.94 to be ed zack.

I'll quit and cash out before they try to pull any shenanigans

You guys are the reason they go to this type of policy. Why

Dec 24, 2020, 12:27 PM

not use your vacation?

500 hours of banked vacation? I'm lucky to get up to a two weeks accrued.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Under normal conditions, I usually take around 3 wks vaca a

Dec 24, 2020, 2:24 PM

year....a bro-ski trip, and then usually 2 (1) weeks stints in NJ...our TOWP / PTO also applies towards holidays and sick time, so we may accrue it a bit faster than average?

I also very rarely get sick beyond a cold...

Haven't done the bro-ski trip in a couple years, and any other travelling has been mostly put on hold this year.

Also, with WFH, I now have a laptop that I can take with me when I DO go somewhere, and make it look like i do enough work to warrant charging full time ;)

is that like 50 weeks built up

Dec 26, 2020, 12:31 AM [ in reply to I'm at 500hrs (almost ed zachary) ]

axin for a frand

Just the company making money and stripping you

Dec 23, 2020, 9:18 AM

of your benefits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yep, it's no longer that you get paid for days off if you

Dec 23, 2020, 9:25 AM

leave and it essentially caps your time at whatever you boss feels like you should have. OUr junior engineering positions were filled with all milennials a few years ago, they've all left. All. It's a crappy way to run a business

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not true, until you a person have fewer days

Dec 23, 2020, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Just the company making money and stripping you ]

approved than they took the year before.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The company will apply societal pressure to those

Dec 23, 2020, 9:37 AM

that take the unlimited PTO, thus encouraging people to work more and not use it. But the biggest buck is now you are not accruing anything that the company has to pay you out if you leave.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

The no accrual part does suck. Otherwise, take your time

Dec 23, 2020, 9:51 AM

and document any time given grief.

Unlimited PTO would not work in my job. Too many people would have to cover the work.

I need back in a job where I'm not on a "team."

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, clearly that strategy is understood by the CEO and

Dec 23, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to The company will apply societal pressure to those ]

CHRO/C Suite. I wonder how far down the org hierarchy they actually vocalize that strategy. Is there a level, at say Director, where it becomes a wink and a nod? There's a point where the Director (or manager or whatever level) is also the victim of the policy and not just the evil overlord applying it to workerbees.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of the summer in college that I sold cars...l

Dec 23, 2020, 10:18 AM

I had every Friday off and the dealership was closed on Sundays. Two guaranteed days off, right?

Nah fam, was normal to be taking that Friday off and get a passive-aggressive call that went like this.....”Obed, are you here today?” “No, it’s my day off”. “Oh, my mistake, I just figured that with a monthly goal of 20 cars sold, and you only selling 17 with one week left in the month, you’d be here on your day off”

I imagine that’s how “unlimited PTO” will go in some companies. Interestingly, (or not), this idea got shoved to the forefront by Netflix going with it about a decade ago. I think they rolled it out with actual good intentions, and along the way other HR SVP’s bastardized it into “how can we look good while squeezing them for more”.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. I'm just curious about how vocalized and obvious it is

Dec 23, 2020, 10:27 AM

at the top, and at what point on the food chain people stop pretending and start believing in earnest that it's a good idea because they're not in on the joke.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Find that sweet spot where the demarcation is regarding

Dec 23, 2020, 10:28 AM

Knowing about layoffs and being safe vs being surprised by them.....roughly the same strata.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That, and the level where bonuses/stock options are way

Dec 23, 2020, 10:32 AM

more valuable than banked vacation time.

Re: That, and the level where bonuses/stock options are way

Dec 23, 2020, 10:36 AM

Finally made it to that level after years of trying. Discovered it was knives out 24/7, people would screw you in a heartbeat to get your spot, and f-ing over people that rolled up to you was a requirement of the position.

Money was awesome but I missed being able to sleep at night.....it’s why I’m self-employed these days. Boss is still a dumbasss but I can handle him.

So, how do you do it? Are you logging in and out to have

Dec 23, 2020, 1:41 PM

this conversation, or do you have two separate computers setup with different IPs?

Do you type everything up in a word document and then copy and paste a "pre recorded" ###### you've come up with, or is this something you're thinking up on the fly as you talk to "each other"?

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hahaha, no friend, it's not easy. Right now

Dec 23, 2020, 3:27 PM

I'm making some wassel on my electric stovetop and doing the apples in the sous vide, and when I'm finished I will be heading over to Sean Brock's house for the greater Wando Bourbon and Circlejerk society's end of year meeting.

@$#@#$@#$. Delete!!!!***

Dec 23, 2020, 3:27 PM

Re: Hahaha, no friend, it's not easy. Right now

Dec 23, 2020, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Hahaha, no friend, it's not easy. Right now ]

19B he be stylin' on you.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like it, but I also have a really cool boss

Dec 23, 2020, 9:56 AM

so I think it depends on your boss and if you work on billable hours. Those two seem to be a huge swing in how it works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My utilization rate is around 95-98%. I am HIGHLY billable

Dec 24, 2020, 12:26 PM

and that is hopefully going to stay the same.

Re: Workplace converting to Unlimited PTO on January 2

Dec 23, 2020, 1:48 PM

Good luck brother.

unlimited time off is awesome***

Dec 23, 2020, 3:33 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like Manic said... it probably depends on your company/boss.

Dec 23, 2020, 3:48 PM

I do not have vacation time. Last year, one guy had about 2.5 months off from project work. During that time, he developed something that saves a lot of time and we were able to negotiate a fixed price for less than what we were doing it for on a T&E. Client gladly accepted it, we make more. I guess he didnt really take the time off, but he also got about a 35% bonus this year, in part, for the profit that his development made.

Another older gentlemen worked probably on average about 8 to 10 hours a week from home for about 4 months. There wasnt a whole lot for him to do, but I covered the rest for him. He was ever so grateful because unfortunately, his wife was dying of cancer and he was able to be home with her to help her those last couple of months of her life.

We are now super busy and both of those guys are taking like two days total these holidays to help. I am grateful for that, thus, when they want to take more than the 3-4 weeks off later when we are not busy, I will gladly let them.

It is truly mutually beneficial.

Also, they get bonuses based on the amount of profit they help generate. So if we are busy enough and they want to work a full 2000 hours or more in a year, they know that they will be rewarded financially.

2 reasons why they do it.

Dec 24, 2020, 1:32 PM

First of all..it's not really a benefit. They'll sell it like that, but its not. Maybe to them, accounting and shareholders (or the owners) it might be, but it's not to you. Our company made up a bunch of BS about "we often have to call people on PTO anyway, so this change makes up for that." Wut?

Anyway...

1)When/if they fire/furlough/lay off/RIF someone, they don't have to pay them out any accrued PTO, because there is none. Makes it easier to get rid of the folks who've been there longest. Also eases debt on the balance sheet.

2)Even though its "unlimited", most people end up taking less time than they did before because they don't feel like "I have 2 weeks this year, I need to take it all or I lose it". Less PTO = more working time.

Prior to us making the change, I earned 5 weeks of PTO per year. I'd never use it all, but I had it, (primarily a savings account if they fired me). They later told us that they'd "rather" not have anyone take more than 3 weeks a year. So basically, I lost 2 weeks of PTO per year. Counting the 4 days I've taken this week and next week, I've probably taken about 8 days this year, and 2 of those were when I moved.

I'd probably not last long at a with a company but unlimited

Dec 24, 2020, 4:22 PM

PTO would turn into several Fridays and or Mondays off plus a solid week a couple times a year. Or maybe sneak in a number of half days to make good weekend trips easier.

Most folks I work with don't manage to ever actually have an accrual of PTO. I try not to take any time off between 01/02/20 and when our raises go into effect each June. I feel like them being worth 2.85% or so more is about the only win I'll get.

Find out when reviews are.

Dec 25, 2020, 4:22 PM

Do good work 2-3 months before that.

Thats all anyone remembers anyway.

Re: Find out when reviews are.

Dec 25, 2020, 8:11 PM

Lots of truth in this in my job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's true in every job.***

Dec 25, 2020, 10:33 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic