Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With the latest AP poll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,697

With the latest AP poll

Jan 4, 2021, 2:22 PM

The tigers are now (tied with Va Tech) as the highest ranked team in the ACC, does anyone know the last time we were the highest ranked team in the ACC?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With the latest AP poll

Jan 4, 2021, 2:50 PM

The answer to your question is January 21, 1997.

Clemson was ranked second in the country, behind just Kansas. We lost to fourth-ranked Wake Forest that week and dropped to the seventh spot in the next poll. We've had at least one ACC team above us ever since.

Jan 4, 2021, 2:51 PM

I should also clarify that we also lost at #19 North Carolina in that same week, which permits the drop to #7.

Jan 4, 2021, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: With the latest AP poll ]

We were at that game and it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself scream. At least I think we were, but the date can't be right, because our daughter was there and she wasn't born until Sept 1999. Yes she's 21 and no, I don't have any pictures. Am I thinking of another WFU game at LJ where we were both highly ranked?

Jan 4, 2021, 3:36 PM

You're probably thinking of the 2008-09 home game against Wake Forest. We went into the game ranked #10 (they were ranked #2). Both teams were undefeated (Clemson was 16-0). January 17, 2009.

Jan 4, 2021, 2:51 PM

In 97, we were ranked as high as #2. I dont think another ACC team was ranked higher at the time. We eventually lost to Tim Duncan's Wake when went on to be a good season for them but we finished 9-7 and took an early exit to maryland in the acc tourney.

Jan 4, 2021, 2:58 PM

That's a disappointing final narrative for that team. That team is arguably our best ever, as it finished with a Sweet 16 appearance, losing in double OT to eventual Final Four bound Minnesota. Along with 1979-80 (somewhat of a Cinderella Elite 8 run), 1989-90 (ACC Regular Season Champions and Sweet 16 heartbreaker against UConn) and 2017-18, I'd say 1996-97 is in the top-level class as far as seasons in our program's history.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,697
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic