Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we agree that this will get worse, in some form,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Can we agree that this will get worse, in some form,

Jan 14, 2021, 11:09 AM

before it gets better?

We can argue about who first first decided that burning it to the ground was okay to get one desired political outcome. We can argue about which side has decided that freedom of thought is allowed only if it aligns with someone's standard. We can argue about who decided that all societal problems and personal insecurities should be addressed by a televised account of what happens inside the beltway. We can keep battling over who caused it while 'proving' that we're right anyway.

But are we not in a battle over how truth is defined and who gets to define it, and whether the individual is second to culture? That debate has been going on for centuries, but those who propose that society determines truth have both predicted and recommended that the battle be waged by group conflict. Is that not where we are?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And it will continue to get worse until we deal with it.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:26 AM

America has a white supremacist domestic terror problem. For the conclusion jumpers, if you voted for Trump it doesn't make you a white supremacist...totally not my point. Look at the most militant MAGA people, I'm talking about the ones that went to the Capitol to do damage and hurt people, the ones with the Auschwitz shirts, the 6MWE logos flying...those people are a serious problem. They will continue to be a problem after Trump is gone, they were given freedom to operate during Trump's administration because he hamstrung and politicized the FBI. You think what they wrote on Twitter/FB/Parler was bad...think what they were discussing on encrypted apps like Telegram and Signal. There were guns, molotov cocktails, and pipe bombs last week, thankfully they were found before they could do damage...but the people that brought them had a plan. We might not be so lucky next time, and there will be a next time.

Extremism in America needs to be addressed now, by everyday Joe's like me and you, and by municipal/state/federal law enforcement. Nobody wants the next Timothy McVeigh to be successful and thats what these people are capable of.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vaccines are in distribution

Jan 14, 2021, 11:28 AM

with more on the way. The virus is already better understood, resulting in more effective treatments.

Research is showing that it is indeed fairly safe for k-12 kids to be in school.

A change in political leadership is imminent, and parties are beginning to coalesce a bit around that shift. And that leadership doesn’t Tweet much (hallelujah.)

The summer olympics begin in July, when case counts should be remarkably lower.

There are a TON of exciting space missions on tap, between new countries reaching Mars, additional private companies competing with Space-X, and NASA’s confined work on the new moon mission.

I think there are lots of reasons for the public to be optimistic about 2021. We just have to learn to tune out the cynicism.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm optimistic that it doesn't get worse.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:37 AM

The idiots on the extreme right, I believe, took their shot last week and failed. The rounding up and prosecution of them followed by an even more emboldened Congress, and then also with a prepared National Guard for next week, will shut them down. Most are cowards, and the ones who aren't simply know they don't have the numbers of the firepower.

For the idiots on the extreme left, I hope measures have been taken to prevent more unrest (again, maybe just being overly optimistic) in cities, but ultimately, a calm message coming from the White House will keep both sides a bit more settled. I don't expect Biden to have an extremely competent presidency, but I do expect it to be one where the message that comes out of his administration remains docile and avoids inflammatory remarks.

At some point, we have to acknowledge that Trump only worsened the situation on both sides with his remarks and attitude.

As for defining truth, that's a pretty tough battle, and, as we know, not one we agree on. Again, I think it gets better without Trump--he didn't corner the market on political lying, but he was the worst in our lifetime.

But telling the truth and getting the people to believe the right thing hasn't been easy and won't be easy going forward. I still have faith in the better angels to win this battle in the end.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Why would there be more civil unrest

Jan 14, 2021, 12:14 PM

From the left?

They accomplished their assignment

What was their assignment?***

Jan 14, 2021, 12:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can we agree that this will get worse, in some form,

Jan 14, 2021, 11:59 AM

Tulsa,

I think misinformation and disinformation are one of the biggest and most difficult problems facing our country (the world?) today. I don't know how we should try to deal with it, but I don't see armed conflict helping in any way.

Curiously enough, I think some things NOT directly related to this phenomenon might be the keys to calming it down and quelling violence. A simple return to normal life would go a long way toward reducing the impact of disinformation on all forms of media. It won't solve the problem but it could reduce its impact.

If the Biden administration can get the vaccine out efficiently and if their stimulus package can help people get back to work as soon as it is safe to do so, only the most extreme would have time to keep fanning the flames. Most Americans will have more meaningful things to do in their personal lives.

And more face - to - face contact could help remind us that we are all human beings - with more in common than in difference.

The problem of misinforation will continue to be a serious problem for which there are no easy solutions, but at least we could turn the over-boiling pot down - to buy us some time to figure it out.

A lot to unpack here.

Jan 14, 2021, 12:08 PM

Yes, the fact that we can't agree on simple facts is a big issue right now. I don't see a solution until leaders on both sides put ambition and greed aside, and actually lead. I tend to go back to election reform and taking big money out of government cause that's how you end up with the circle of elected officials denying climate change and then big oil paying to have "evidence" published to support it. You can cast blame on the media all you want, but at the end of the day there's a market need for confirmation bias on both sides.

As far as individual vs. culture goes, there are some things that transcend political opinion. The framers did a really #### poor job at planning for a scenario where the majority of the Country is just plain wrong. FFS, the founders purposefully avoided the topic of slavery because they knew it was a divisive issue.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don’t worry AOC’s got this

Jan 14, 2021, 12:49 PM

Getting to truth starts with honesty

Jan 14, 2021, 2:58 PM

When every other word that comes out of someone’s mouth starts with a rhetorical flourish that evolves into an outright lie, we got problems.

When enough people are willing to subjugate “truth” to a blind allegiance to this kind of expert liar, we got even bigger problems.

The bigger the lies, the bigger the problems.

Let’s get back to first principles.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic