Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Watson considered frail by so many?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Why is Watson considered frail by so many?

Jan 12, 2015, 10:44 AM

Yes he has had 3 injuries in a short time but look at what they were.

1) Broken clavicle...the most frequently broke bone in the human body.

2) A broken finger (tell me some exercises that will strengthen those)

3) Torn ACL (frequent sports injury, even with bigger guys)

Will someone explain to me how more muscle is going to prevent any of those from happening? I think it was just a series of unfortunate events...a perfect storm that crippled Watson a few times this season. Don't get me wrong, I want him to bulk up (and he will) so that he can help pick up that tough yardage. I just don't see why so many assume he's a walking injury waiting to happen...I think it was simply a case of bad luck in the injury department.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's fine but I hope the coaches teach him to

Jan 12, 2015, 10:46 AM

slide like Marriota. Marriota runs a lot but doesn't take alot of big shots.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

This...plus he'll have a large cast of backs to help with

Jan 12, 2015, 10:51 AM

that yardage and blocking.

Re: He's fine but I hope the coaches teach him to

Jan 12, 2015, 11:00 AM [ in reply to He's fine but I hope the coaches teach him to ]

Speaking of Mariota...can you imagine what Watson would do in the Oregon system? He's a similar athlete to Mariota and shows a similar grasp of the game (if not better) and has a better arm

Re: Why is Watson considered frail by so many?

Jan 12, 2015, 10:51 AM

True and I think with some added muscle the collarbone is less frequent for athletes though still can happen (CJ). Finger was a freak unfortunate accident and I believe that the knee stemmed ULTIMATELY from it never fully healing after the state championship his SR year. Sprained his knee during that game. May not have rehabbed properly before enrolling and then underwent a college offseason of training with them possibly overlooking the severity. Even if it wasn't painful it still may have been weakened. Then, it finally sprained again in the GT game. After that the added stress led to the ACL tearing. An unfortunate series of events to be sure but a full offseason with both the S&C and training room should afford him every opportunity to recover and even comeback stronger.

I was wondering the same thing...something wasn't right...

Jan 12, 2015, 4:27 PM

...watching that ACL injury over and over. There had to be some compromise in that ACL from the past. Then he practices on the bad LCL and boom, the ACL finally gives way.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I don't know that more muscle would have helped in

Jan 12, 2015, 10:58 AM

those instances. He may always be injury-prone.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

How about how tough he is. He beat the coots will a torn ACL***

Jan 12, 2015, 11:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably because he is frail.

Jan 12, 2015, 11:21 AM

Nm

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've got a back that prior to this season, hasn't played

Jan 12, 2015, 11:39 AM

football in 2 years. Watson's had three separate injuries and still managed to start and play in several games this season. So would you consider Dye to be frail? Or Brooks? Or Choice?

My point is, health is a concern for ALL players. Watson is not the exception to the rule. Given, we'll feel it more with his absence, but that doesn't mean he is MORE injury prone. The hand injury may have went unnoticed if it happened to another player at another position say where they could wrap it in a cast and throw him back out there. His higher profile nature means that we'll hear about every hangnail and stomach bug that could potentially alter his performance.

Re: We've got a back that prior to this season, hasn't played

Jan 12, 2015, 11:57 AM

So far he is injury prone that's a fact. Here's to him playing all 15 games next season. Just bad luck or not it is what it is. We will need him more next year to stay healthy. We have 2 QBs coming in but will they be ready for big time football?

I'm not saying he's frail

Jan 12, 2015, 11:22 AM

I am saying that it seems like a lot of injuries in a short amount of time which is probably just bad luck combined with a player whose playing style leads to taking some hits (though the knee injury was on a play with no hit at all).

I hope that's the last of these injuries we will see, but until there is some time without injuries he will be thought of as injury prone (which is not a slight, just a fact).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

our opponents are HOPING Mr. Watson is frail....

Jan 12, 2015, 11:32 AM

they have so little to cling to......:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who cares what the injuries were, they're injuries

Jan 12, 2015, 12:00 PM

It should be concerning that so much depends on a guy who didn't make it through camp without an injury, then was injured again only a few games into his first season, then reinjured himself in practice. It's actually worse that bulking up probably wouldn't have prevented those injuries (except maybe the clavicle or the finger).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how bulking would prevent either of those.

Jan 12, 2015, 3:45 PM

Fingers do not bulk up. I myself have went from 140 lbs soaking wet to 200 lbs (fairly lean) and my fingers have not gotten that much stronger. I still injury them occasional doing maintenance work. My grip may have increased a bit but that's about it. If I were to jam my fingers in someone's face mask then fall to the ground awkwardly with my hand still in that helmet, I'd bet that would injury just about anyone. Maybe it's his technique. What makes it worse is that it was his throwing hand. Like someone said before...he needs to utilize sliding and/or using a fist to stiff arm...it could be a technique issue rather than a 'prone to injury' issue. As far as the clavicle, in the health profession, they say that is the most frequently broke bone of ALL bones due to its transverse lie and superficial nature. Not to mention he WAS a true freshman, straight out of high school. He still has a lot of growing to do and that includes his genetic cap with bone density...if that's what people meant by bulking then maybe I'd agree, but I'm willing to bet they meant hit the weights. All I'm saying is, 1) Lifting weights does not always prevent injury and 2) His injuries appeared to be a combination of common and freak incidents. I wouldn't be surprised to see Watson play all 15 games next season without injury and put this issue to rest.

It's also not unusual for so much to ride on that starting QB. Most teams across the country aren't an OSU where they are loaded at QB. We've had behavioral issues with one that would have been a gamer. Looks like Dabo made the right decision after his continued involvement with criminal activity. Take away a Mariota and you think Oregon would still be where they are?

You're frail until

Jan 12, 2015, 12:10 PM

proven otherwise. Time will tell.

I can understand that...but I got a good feeling he makes

Jan 12, 2015, 3:46 PM

it through all 15 games next season...

Injury prone - you left out injury in the last game of H.S.

Jan 12, 2015, 12:31 PM

Bulking up with conditioning and nutrition will help immensely - hope and expect it to solve problem

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bulking up ALWAYS help protect against injuries

Jan 12, 2015, 12:36 PM

The programs with best weight training systems im place have players with much less "down time".

I watched Marcus Mariota disasemmble FSU. He ran the ball

Jan 12, 2015, 1:33 PM

maybe once or twice a quarter, not 7 times in 7 minutes. That is what our coaches should do with Watson. He is just too valuable to make himself a target of destruction, and the coaches should make sure it happens.

That will happen when our RB situation improves***

Jan 12, 2015, 2:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And or O line, but it's not smart to use your QB to

Jan 12, 2015, 2:46 PM

compensate for your line.

Exactly, don't put him in situations to get injured and he

Jan 12, 2015, 3:50 PM [ in reply to I watched Marcus Mariota disasemmble FSU. He ran the ball ]

will probably remain healthy.

Jan 12, 2015, 1:55 PM

It fuels the propaganda flames by our opponents.And the fact he did get injuries that made him miss games will make their case if it continues to be a trend.
Take into consideration our most hated rival USuC's fanbase cannot stand the fact he beat them with an injury that would have set most players out for the rest of the year. So they especially will not commend him(though some may) on his toughness,they will instead call him weak in order to make themselves feel better. To think DW will not be there to win games for us and especially so they will not have to see him dismantle them again.

Jan 12, 2015, 2:48 PM

What I have read its mostly coots saying he is frail ,.,.

They already hope he gets hurt before next nov,. that's their plan to beat us ,,.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple!

Jan 12, 2015, 3:01 PM

That's the only thing about Watson that may even be considered a flaw. They did the same thing to Dabo when Chad came by saying Chad was the reason Dabo kept his job.

It follows the same logic that ESPiN and the sports writers use if they want to insult Clemson by using the term 'Pulling a Clemson,' or 'Clemsoning.'

They are no more or less than dung on the soles of our shoes. Wipe it off and carry on with winning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well it is a concern. I grew up playing with cherry bombs,

Jan 12, 2015, 3:26 PM

lawn darts, tri-fold chemistry set and being told by mom to be home by dark or you don't eat. I've only had one broken bone and that was my nose. He was 6'4" and I wasn't. Legit concern.

Now imagine going up against guys that are even bigger than

Jan 12, 2015, 3:52 PM

6'4" on a regular basis. It's amazing these kids don't get injured more often than they do...

Yep...that and becoming a running back every other play***

Jan 12, 2015, 4:18 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic