Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why hasn't coach BB been fired yet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Why hasn't coach BB been fired yet?

Feb 10, 2019, 4:59 AM

I laugh when I see the hate toward BB. He's building a positive tradition here. I would much rather see him than that idiot Rick Barnes who would lose his sh?t when he got schooled by Carolina. He's not coach K yes but has any coach at Clemson even come close to K or Smith, NOPE. Remember when Barnes tried to fight Dean Smith and got the 2 T's and ejected from the game. He never beat Carolina and so far BB hasn't as well but at least he's not going all Bobby K like Barnes did. Barnes never could handle that pressure.

So many people wanted his head prior to last year and he took a team that was projected to finish in the bottom half of the ACC to the dance, sweet 16, new contract. Still the haters were just waiting to come out and bash him. Then the ACC starts, heavy against Clemson in the first half and some of those haters come out now what are they saying?

If you support Clemson then you support the whole team which includes coach BB. If you don't support him then go to the Zion blue board

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with you about BB, but why the Rick Barnes hate?

Feb 10, 2019, 5:41 AM

While I didn't like how he left, I liked how he
stood up to Dean Smith when nobody else would.
Maybe it wasn't a good look, but it was entertaining
and called attention to how Dean had Lenny Wertz and
his zebra crew in his back pocket. Swofford was also
starting his tenure as ACC commish about this time and
even called them into his office one time and you can
imagine how that went.

He had to move on while the getting was good, but wish
he could have established some long term success at
Clemson like he did at Texas and starting to at Tennessee.
Guess he had hit his ceiling and couldn't break the
Tobacco Road bias. At least we own the ACC in football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree with you about BB, but why the Rick Barnes hate?

Feb 10, 2019, 5:52 AM

Not really hating on Barnes but looking at all the BB vs this coach and that coach it's stupid. I will say that under what Barnes had to deal with 2 of the best coaches all time, Smith And coach K. He held his own, He just needed to keep his composure

Never beat UNC?

Feb 10, 2019, 6:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmGyTDfNks

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never beat UNC?

Feb 10, 2019, 6:40 AM

No other Clemson coach has either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never beat UNC?

Feb 10, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Never beat UNC? ]

AWESOME. I cannot see too often.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i Agree, I really like Rock Barnes. Here’s a really good video of him

Feb 10, 2019, 7:29 AM [ in reply to Agree with you about BB, but why the Rick Barnes hate? ]

https://youtu.be/Mae_MPnbA58

Re: i Agree, I really like Rock Barnes. Here’s a really good video of him

Feb 10, 2019, 8:35 AM

Thanks for that post. I have never seen that before but I remember the incidents that led up to that Meeting very well. I miss Barnes tremendously. He was the best thing that ever happen to Clemson basketball and for those who complain about him, you are very wrong. Barnes would never have left Clemson except for the preferential treatment that The Tobacco Road schools receive in the league. He knew his style of ball would never be allowed in the ACC. Taking that first team to the 18 spot was unbelievable. Look at that lineup and see what he had to work with!

Brownell is Bowden...a nice guy who wins just

Feb 10, 2019, 6:39 AM

enough to keep his job. Also, you do realize that Rick Barnes is currently the coach of the #1 team in the country, right?

Re: Brownell is Bowden...a nice guy who wins just

Feb 10, 2019, 7:28 AM

Exactly

Re: Brownell is Bowden...a nice guy who wins just

Feb 10, 2019, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Brownell is Bowden...a nice guy who wins just ]

I wholeheartedly agree ; sure BB is a nice fellow but like Bowden ; I blame administration for most of basketball woes ; any other sports at Clemson had the track record of men's basketball would have been fired long ago ( and don't bring up last year ; that was a perfect storm ; weak ACC teams and Brad hit it lucky w transfers . No talented recruit will come to Clemson until admin gets serious about winning in basketball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that the administration is to blame when it comes to our poor basketball history.

Feb 10, 2019, 1:33 PM

But I disagree with you regarding how they have failed.

From my perspective, they are just starting to give Brownell what he needs to be successful. For the first six years of his tenure, he had horrible facilities and a paltry budget for assistant coach salaries. He wasn’t given the support staff he needed. Translation: huge uphill battle, destined to fail.

Only now are we getting to see how great we can be.

Imagine how unsuccessful Dabo would’ve likely been if he had not been given the best facilities in the nation and the highest budget for assistant coaches in the nation? Probably not nearly as successful, and that lack of success would be at a “football school” with great fan support, not the worst program in the conference historically (as is the case with our basketball program).

Comparing Brad to Tommy is ridiculous.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dabo wasn’t given everything we have now. He made it happen.***

Feb 10, 2019, 2:17 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well of course Dabo has a lot to do with our football success.

Feb 10, 2019, 5:50 PM

But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think our football traditions, fan support, the largest budget in the country for assistant coaches, the best support staff, and the best facilities in the country aren’t also huge factors in our success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I agree that the administration is to blame when it comes to our poor basketball history.

Feb 10, 2019, 8:00 PM [ in reply to I agree that the administration is to blame when it comes to our poor basketball history. ]

JK- I agree 100%! Great post and you absolutely nailed it. +1

You don’t understand the disadvantages Brownell has had at Clemson

Feb 10, 2019, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Brownell is Bowden...a nice guy who wins just ]

for most of his tenure.

Was I dreaming

Feb 10, 2019, 7:08 AM

last March when Clemson beat UNC in a packed house at Littlejohn? It was a good dream. Somebody pinch me. Lol Go Tigers!

Re: Why hasn't coach BB been fired yet?

Feb 10, 2019, 8:26 AM

CBB just needs to take us to the tournament this year. Will we do it? Time will tell. If we don't go this year, I think that means he missed out on 9 of the last 10 tournaments. That's why people complain. I think we go thus year. I called the tournament last year too. I like what CBB is building, but he has to go to tournaments to take the pressure off of him.

Feb 10, 2019, 9:08 AM

Carlsbad® said:

CBB just needs to take us to the tournament this year. Will we do it? Time will tell. If we don't go this year, I think that means he missed out on 9 of the last 10 tournaments. That's why people complain. I think we go thus year. I called the tournament last year too. I like what CBB is building, but he has to go to tournaments to take the pressure off of him.

They complain because they have a very low Clemson basketball IQ. They think we do it in football so why not in basketball without understanding the history or obstacles. They want a coach who is blowing up at a mid major school without realizing that coach is playing the dirty AAU game + JUCOs + guys who are sub par academically. None of which would fly at Clemson.

Feb 10, 2019, 9:17 AM

If you look at the film of the commitments we have for next year, you can tell that we will have a really solid backcourt in a couple of years. All 3 of those guys look like studs. I think CBB is building something good. If we miss out on the tournament this year and next year, people are going to freak. Going this year would take all the pressure off of CBB imo. He wouldn't hav to go next year while we rebuild some. We should have a really good team the year after next.

Feb 10, 2019, 10:19 AM

As long as he's been here he should be building something good.Can he sustain last year's success and recruit his tail off?Got to recruit recruit and know how to evaluate talent we need a big time scorer in this program without being a 5 or 4 star.Devoe was easily one of the best players in the tournament last year.Finally have a vision of what he wants Clemson to be.

Feb 10, 2019, 11:28 AM

We beat Kansas and probably Duke if Grantham does not go down last year. Elite 8 or Final 4, easily.

He finally got some semblance of support from the administration

Feb 10, 2019, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Why hasn't coach BB been fired yet? ]

in year six or seven of his tenure. We finally have good facilities, and he finally got some support staff he had been requesting since he was hired.

Want to compete at a higher level? Stop taking the easy way out and blaming the coach, and start looking at the tools he is given compared to his competitors. When you do that, you’ll appreciate Brownell and the job he is doing much more.

The real reason Barnes left

Feb 10, 2019, 11:17 AM

For those not old enough to remember. I will break down the numbers of why Barnes left:
5% -downward trajectory/ losing the locker room. ( similar to Frank Martin, once the ceiling was reached, his near abusive coaching style began to wear thin. His last year with a talented team, we were bounced in the first round

5% facilities and the inability to attract blue chip players

5 % Tobacco Road shenanigans

85% his shall we say, interpersonal relationships with females other than his wife. An ultimatum to move away from those relationships or to write her a check for 1/2 of everything.
Bottom line: he made a business decision in more ways than one

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The real reason Barnes left

Feb 10, 2019, 11:34 AM

Don't for get his wife attacking the condition of Morrison Elementary, which was in the works of being a non issue (new school on Berkeley Dr) at that time school year.

He is an excellent coach and it’s too bad many here are so critical of him.

Feb 10, 2019, 1:28 PM

Maybe one day they will realize what a good coach he is.

Re: He is an excellent coach and it’s too bad many here are so critical of him.

Feb 10, 2019, 6:07 PM

Most won’t. They’ll just hide behind empty statements and lob grenades, Fire Brad! There is way more to his ability than his record indicates...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing against Brownell

Feb 10, 2019, 1:45 PM

But to try to compare the careers of Brownell and Barnes is ludicrous.

Barnes may have underachieved in his last 7 years at Texas, but his first 10 included 2 sweet 16's, 2 elite 8's and a final-four at a school that certainly had resources, but had about as much basketball tradition as Clemson.

In 32 seasons as a head coach he's not been in the tourney just 8 times. I'd say he's as good as any of the coaches who have never won a title.

I'm fine with the defense of Brownell as a good coach, or the frustration that Barnes bailed out of here, but Brownell is not in the same zip code as Rick Barnes as a basketball coach.

To be fair, we should just compare their tenures at Clemson.

Feb 10, 2019, 1:49 PM

And even that isn’t a completely apples-to-apples comparison.

Barnes is our best basketball coach thus far, based on Clemson tenures.

How can you call 6 NCAA appearances in 7 yrs underachieving?

Feb 10, 2019, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Nothing against Brownell ]

That won't cut it at Texas, but if Rick Barnes did that at Clemson, the AD would build a statue of him.

I will agree there is no comparison of Rick Barnes and Brad Brownell.

One of the things I liked most about Barnes was how he stood

Feb 10, 2019, 5:54 PM

his ground against the pompous ### Dean Smith.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2019, 6:23 PM

Difference between Bowden and BB is Bowden had an elite offense coordinator that elevated the program. When Rich Rod left, Bowden never got the majuc back. BB doesn’t have anyone propping him up.

Message was edited by: Lexguy2003

Feb 10, 2019, 8:46 PM

BB is our best coach yet. Really. Have you been to Colorado lately. BB has never been able to recruit. Just look how weak our bench is this year. That's not recruiting. We have two decent years all with transfers. Smell the roses. We should have made the change three years ago. Set the program back for years. We have D Rad to thank for it. He is a facilities builder not great at hiring. Was same way at G Tech.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic