Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders?

Oct 7, 2018, 12:56 PM

How can they sit there and preach to the team about not focusing on outside noise and then our coaches address this crap? Who cares what they think? Right or wrong. In this case Desmond was right and 1 awesome game doesn’t change that. We’ve played 6 games and coach Scott wants to beat his chest over WF?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders?

Oct 7, 2018, 12:59 PM

No, Scott said that we’ve averaged about 390 yds/ game. Nothing specific about WF

Oct 7, 2018, 12:59 PM

Sorry, 300 not 390

Fat fingers????

Oct 7, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders? ]

He wasn’t beating his chest however he might want to reconsider responding to sports commentators. That is their job to create chatter....Just take the high road and do your talking on the field by your playing....

Oct 8, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders? ]

Only had 115 against Texas A&M....

Only lost to Kentucky for the 5th straight time***

Oct 8, 2018, 5:23 PM

Oct 9, 2018, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders? ]

That'd be because Kelly Bryant was running it most of the time, as a matter of fact, 4 in a row in the 4th quarter...oops.

Oct 9, 2018, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders? ]

Who won?

i think it’s just reacting to comments

Oct 7, 2018, 1:00 PM

that they perceive as a slight. They all want to be in the playoffs. While I agree that I wished that he hadn’t responded, our players actually see it as our coaches taking up for our team and having their backs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when you stick up for your team and players

they will run through a wall for you

Re: when you stick up for your team and players

Oct 8, 2018, 5:12 PM

Exactly the point. That's what happened with the Clemsoning thing. They ran that in the ground and Dabo finally shut them up. The players responded.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are simply answering questions by the media

that makes money off of controversy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey little bird the gig is up. Fly on back home now.

Oct 7, 2018, 1:02 PM

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the jobs of coaches is to answer questions from the media.

Oct 7, 2018, 1:03 PM

Someone asked Scott, Elliott, and Dabo about Desmond Howard’s comments, and they responded. I am glad they answered it and used it as an opportunity to stand up for our players. Would you prefer that our coaches refuse to answer the question?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: One of the jobs of coaches is to answer questions from the media.

Oct 8, 2018, 1:41 PM

Yes. Continue to dominate on the field and answer questions that way

Seriously?

Oct 9, 2018, 5:43 PM

Reporter: “Dabo, how do you feel about Desmond Howard’s comments that Clemson has a finesss comments?”

Dabo: “I am not answering that.”

Yeah, that’s going to go over realllly well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We’ve done bits and pieces of yesterday all year long

Re: We’ve done bits and pieces of yesterday all year long

Oct 9, 2018, 9:54 AM

Point!!

Well spruce, you see Dabo and Co thrives on this kind of stuff. Nick Saban is begging for critical talk so that he can improve his players by getting them worked up and we are getting just that. They were watching and look how the defense showed up. Now enjoy the Texas A&M game next week, your coots are going to be exposed.

saban does it all the time. Maybe ours are tired of

Oct 7, 2018, 1:06 PM

The digs and slights as well. Different variety of rat poison.

Oct 7, 2018, 1:10 PM

It’s actually brilliant. If you look at what Dabo and his assistants have done from a communications point of view it is incredible. Every chicken rant, from the C-word, to BYOG, to lugubrious, to calling out Cowherd for the fraud comments serves to focus eyes on our program. It’s usually just a passing thing for most. But when enough of those moments happen over time, Clemson football gets further imbedded in the minds of the audience as something that can’t be ignored.

Every small piece of publicity makes it just a bit more likely that someone will talk about Clemson. And fans and rivals talking about a school is second only to the most important thing...recruits. Who knows which comment it was that a Deshaun or Christian heard that made them give Dabo the time of day when they started recruiting him? But if they’d never heard of us then surely they wouldn’t be here.

When you either are building or have a strong brand, any publicity is good. Especially so when you are able to frame the narrative in a friendly way. Notice that they rarely fire back at someone BEFORE a victory. It’s almost always to use the comments someone made beforehand to show how wrong they were and to take that media platform to give us free publicity.

Oct 7, 2018, 1:11 PM

Why do our coaches have to keep winning so many games every year? Why do they have to keep recruiting at a high level? Why do they have to keep recognizing and developing great talent? Why do they have to keep getting us to the CFP? The audacity of our coaching staff is reprehensible. I say we demand a complete overhaul of our staff.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 1:12 PM

Oh and by OUR I clearly meant the Clemson Tigers not YOUR girlcocks.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders? ]

You must love Urban Meyer. After all it's only about winning. Who cares if coaches act childish and feel the need to defend themselves to espn analysts who don't even get a vote in the playoff

Oct 9, 2018, 12:13 PM

Wow... you are reaching now... I must love Urban Meyer because I love Dabo and the program that he has built? They weren’t defending themselves, they were defending their team. The culture Dabo has worked so hard to create includes defending each other and protecting the Paw! If you really are a Clemson fan, which I highly doubt by your posts, you have a very strange way of showing it.

Dabo is a mother hen.

Oct 8, 2018, 1:46 PM

He will flog the chit out of anyone saying nasty about his program or team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Desmond was right..."?

Oct 8, 2018, 1:51 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Desmond-Howard-wasn%E2%80%99t-right-but-he-wasn%E2%80%99t-far-off-either-1836202?tstart=0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Oct 8, 2018, 2:33 PM

What’s he supposed to say yeah DH is right?
Especially after the last 6 quarters we have man handled our opposition.
He should have said DH is a little B that played his career with much more finesse.
We play with might and power just ask Ohio St if you don’t believe it

Oct 8, 2018, 3:08 PM

Calm down Melissa. Everyone knows Wake sucks. We only look dumber for not acknowledging it.

Oct 8, 2018, 5:14 PM

No you look stupid being a C ock lover pretending to be a Tiger fan

Oct 9, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders? ]
winners.jpg(137.3 K)

Don't hate us, if you ain't us.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do the coaches have to always fire back at outsiders? ]

He should say “next question”
Don’t bring it up at all

No. That’s a Saban personality. Our guy isn’t bitter &

Oct 9, 2018, 10:12 AM

doesn’t present himself as too good for anything.

They handled it perfectly.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 8, 2018, 3:33 PM

What are you talking about ?
We've been dominant in the run game in 5/6 games . Overwhelmingly so .
Secondly , our coaches defense of their schemes , the player's capabilities and correcting a weak media hot take which was completely wrong is what I want to see ... it's the right thing to do .

Don't like our coaches doing things in support of Clemson ? Seems odd ... for a Clemson fan .
You are a Clemson fan , right ?

DB23

Oct 8, 2018, 5:29 PM

We're 5th in the country in rushing yards per game, and 3 of the 4 teams in front of us are option teams. That's more than just the Wake game.

We have 4 different running backs with at least 27 carries, and all of them are averaging more tha 5 yards per carry, and 3 of them are averaging more than 7, 2 of them more than 9 per carry, and 1 of them is averaging more than 11 per carry.

Yes our running backs are very good, but you don't put up those numbers by not being physical.

Oct 8, 2018, 5:54 PM

Because if they don’t, someone will complain. Unfortunately, if they do, someone will complain.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2018, 6:21 PM

Remember the last has-been ESPN commentator who publicly went after Clemson Fans and Hoped we would lose so that he could celebrate that loss???

Well, we won the Natty that year.

Desmond Coward, you are next to embarrass yourself at the hands of Clemson success!!

Oct 9, 2018, 9:59 AM

Which commentator was that? I don't remember that.

Oct 10, 2018, 5:12 PM

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/video-espn-jason-fitz-goes-on-rant-against-clemson-fans/

Jason Fritz...

I know, I never heard of him either hahah

They were responding to a question. Where do you people

Oct 9, 2018, 10:09 AM

come from ?

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

doesn't bother me.....for whatever reason clemson has always

Oct 9, 2018, 11:57 AM

played better with something to prove or when they're doubted or when something about them is questioned by the media/opponents/etc..................right/wrong/indifferent we have "looked the part" in 2 of our 6 games.

If it takes ESPN or opponent player/coach saying something critical or doubting us to impose our will and leave no doubt (ie pass the eye test) then so be it.............hopefully they continue to listen to the critical talking heads on ESPN b/c quite frankly they're not completely wrong.

for whatever reason alabama doesn't "need a reason" to demolish their opponents..........they just do it and it's over in the 1st quarter.

Because they want the guys to feel doubted and disrespected

Oct 9, 2018, 12:26 PM

Its good old fashioned bulletin board material.

Re: Because they want the guys to feel doubted and disrespected

Oct 9, 2018, 12:34 PM

?? Because it motivates our Tigers to win 63-3.

Oct 9, 2018, 12:36 PM

Who cares what Desmond calls us....most call us UNDEFEATED. As long as we stay that way, we'll be fine. Go Tigers!

Oct 9, 2018, 4:39 PM

It seems everyone else has made my point for me on why the coach responded - defend the team, defend the players, set the record straight, more publicity with your own hot take in response to a bobblehead's hot take on you.

My question now is - why do you use the word "always" in the title? Always?? There are a gazillion hot takes out there about Clemson's perceived deficiencies between ESPN, FoxSports, CBS, SI, the list goes on. And our coaches have only responded to what....two? 3-4 at the most?

Oct 9, 2018, 4:44 PM

Yep! A coach should not defend their players in public.....................................................................

Nobody likes you.***

Oct 9, 2018, 4:47 PM

Oct 10, 2018, 7:48 PM

Coaches have a duty to recruit. Protecting the image of the franchise is part of recruiting.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic