Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why didn't we fire Jack well before we did and just promote Corbin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Why didn't we fire Jack well before we did and just promote Corbin

Jun 9, 2019, 5:14 PM

Just curious?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hindsight - had no crystal ball at the time.***

Jun 9, 2019, 5:24 PM

Re: Hindsight - had no crystal ball at the time.***

Jun 9, 2019, 5:27 PM

It' seems like Jack Legs assistant coaches accomplished much more than he did.

Re: Hindsight - had no crystal ball at the time.***

Jun 9, 2019, 5:38 PM

Vandy seems so well coached, they really swing the bat well.

Hindsight is 20/20.. why didnt we Fire Tommy and promote

Jun 9, 2019, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Hindsight - had no crystal ball at the time.*** ]

Rich Rod? he was the backbone of our program at the time.

Tommy was supposedly an offensive genius until coach Rod left.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why didn't we fire Jack well before we did and just promote Corbin

Jun 9, 2019, 5:39 PM

Corbin's last year at Clemson was 2002, when we had murderer's row in the lineup (Greene, Baker, and Johnson) and had been to the College World Series four out of eight seasons. We were the #1 team in the country for a large majority of the season and had arguably one of the most prolific offensive seasons in the history of college baseball. We were eliminated by that team from Columbia in the semifinals of the College World Series. Nonetheless, a firing just wasn't going to happen at that time.

the pain from these memories. WE ABSOLUTELY BLEW IT

Jun 9, 2019, 11:42 PM

with that loaded lineup. It still haunts me.

but baseball isn't important because it doesn't make money.

Jun 9, 2019, 6:01 PM

Keep in mind, he wasn’t instant success and vandy. It took him 8-9 years to make a cws. Kinda like Monte, going to regionals but took this decade to really break through... wonder why?

It’s what I’ve been posting for a while on here. The rules changed after 2009 and it really made private, endowment institutions take off.

Give Monte time. He’s starting to get the talent in here. Now let’s see what he’ll do with that talent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is success, a CWS appearance? Winning a regional?

Jun 9, 2019, 7:09 PM

Vanderbilt under Corbin went to a Super Regional in year 2. They won the Virginia regional in 2004.

Re: What is success, a CWS appearance? Winning a regional?

Jun 9, 2019, 8:10 PM

Yeah, not bad but it was a different format. I’m not saying he isn’t a good coach because he’s an excellent coach. I wish we had him here. But... the way some talk about Monte, you’d think he hasn’t done anything. In addition, it took Corbin 9 years to make it to Omaha. Can you imagine anyone giving Monte 9 years to make it to Omaha? I don’t know if Monte will or not but I like him... he’s our coach.

I am concerned about the allegations that a poster made saying there’s no semblance of team in the locker room etc etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2019, 8:44 AM

A different format? Please explain that statement.

In 2004, the tournament format for regional and super regional play were exactly the same as they are now. Four teams in a double elimination tournament in the regional. Two teams, playing 2-out-of-3 in the super regional.

Jun 9, 2019, 8:14 PM [ in reply to What is success, a CWS appearance? Winning a regional? ]

But yes, to answer your question. We need to at a minimum win our regional and compete for a super.... and not get blown out in two games of the super.

he would have left anyway,vandy recruiting advantage

Jun 9, 2019, 7:12 PM

too good to pass up

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he would have left anyway,vandy recruiting advantage

Jun 9, 2019, 8:25 PM

What advantage do they have over Clemson? Academics? Facilitates?

Not being a Smart A##. I really don't know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They’re a private school.

Jun 9, 2019, 8:56 PM

So they can offer full scholarships from their endowment I believe. Correct me if I am wrong

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how that's an advantage.

Jun 9, 2019, 9:09 PM

Everyone has 11.7. Right?

They can't give more than that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are wrong

Jun 9, 2019, 11:33 PM [ in reply to They’re a private school. ]

n/m

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

it's not just the fact that they have a big endowment. if

Jun 9, 2019, 11:45 PM [ in reply to They’re a private school. ]

that was the case Harvard, Yale, etc would have sick baseball teams.

It's because they are a private university so they can offer more financial aid to their players not regulated by the NCAA.

Private schools have a distinct advantage in baseball.. If it wasn't for title IX everyone could probably have 22-26 schollies.

their endowment is so big everyone gets acedemic $

Jun 9, 2019, 9:59 PM [ in reply to he would have left anyway,vandy recruiting advantage ]

so all baseball players get $ that other teams like us can't offer

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

absurdly not true.

Jun 9, 2019, 11:36 PM

Less than 1% of applicants to Vanderbilt receive academic merit scholarships - and that’s from their own webpage.

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

"Academic merit scholarships" sounds very specific..

Jun 9, 2019, 11:47 PM

I wonder what the total financial aid that students at a private university receives (as a ratio to tuition costs) compared to public school students?

Re: "Academic merit scholarships" sounds very specific..

Jun 10, 2019, 12:10 AM

It’s specific to each school based on financial need as the school defines it, but verified by the FAFSA application. These funds are available to all students based on that financial need and no other qualifying factors (other than being admitted, of course). This does not create a disparity for baseball. First, knowing a little about the costs of serious youth baseball these days, few D1 ready baseball players are coming from homes qualifying at the low end (most aid offered) of the need range. Baseball is an increasingly middle to upper middle class sport in America - so these complaints about financial aid and baseball are further erroneous. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/income-inequality-explains-decline-youth-sports/574975/

Vanderbilt puts their cost of attendance at $64654, Clemson is at $28,662 in state, $48,544 out of state. Out of state families with net annual income of approximately $127,500 would be facing similar expenses at the two schools after Vanderbilt financial aid. People making less would do better at Vanderbilt. People making more at Clemson. Out of state families would need net income below $100,500 to do better at Vanderbilt.

Jun 9, 2019, 9:04 PM

I didn't read every post so somebody may have hit on this

Jun 10, 2019, 9:18 AM

already, but Corbin and Leggett were/are very good friends. Corbin would've never taken the job on the back of Jack being fired, under any circumstances. It's a huge reason he didn't want to be considered when Leggett was actually let go.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic