Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why did Nick Honor only play 14 minutes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Why did Nick Honor only play 14 minutes?

Mar 4, 2021, 7:00 AM

I did not see most of the game but I see Honor only played 14 minutes with no points scored. I think he is a much better player than Chase Hunter. What gives?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did Nick Honor only play 14 minutes?

Mar 4, 2021, 7:21 AM

Why was Hemingway on the bench at the end?

Substitution patterns are baffling. Two sides to this coin_

Mar 4, 2021, 8:22 AM

Inconsistent players make CBB “search” for who’s hot every game.

Extensive and somewhat random substitution by CBB hinders player’s confidence.

Clemson had one player at ‘Cuse who was not having a great offensive game who played while several others players with more offensive skills sat. Down double digits in the 2nd half, a team needs points to catch up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Substitution patterns are baffling. Two sides to this coin_

Mar 4, 2021, 8:55 AM

My primary criticism of Brownell has always been his use of personnel. The word random is the perfect way to describe it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Substitution patterns are baffling. Hee has said he

Mar 4, 2021, 10:41 AM

searches for combos among players that will work. Clearly yesterday he did that and they responded with nothing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^ THIS ^^^^***

Mar 4, 2021, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Substitution patterns are baffling. Two sides to this coin_ ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Have you shared your expertise with Coach Brownell?

Mar 4, 2021, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Substitution patterns are baffling. Two sides to this coin_ ]

Otherwise, he might never figure out how to manage players' minutes and play the right guys at the right time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You have to admit...

Mar 4, 2021, 4:05 PM

there are times, a lot of times in fact, that his substitution strategy is incredibly puzzling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is puzzling about it?

Mar 4, 2021, 4:17 PM

We play 10-11 guys every night. We have the ability to be flexible and change lineups and substitution patterns based on what is working and what is not.

Sure, it's much more "predictable" to start the same 5 guys every game and substitute the same 2-3 guys off the bench, when there is a clear-cut difference between starters vs. bench players and key reserves vs. everyone else.

But on this team, that isn't the case. I think that's a good thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

He routinely sits...

Mar 4, 2021, 5:10 PM

the better shooters late in games when we're tailing and need to score and plays guys who aren't as good offensively.

It's baffling.

So you’ve concluded that he purposely sits players

Mar 4, 2021, 8:47 PM

who can help us, and plays players who can’t?

Do you think he wants to win? Or is he losing on purpose?

Re: Have you shared your expertise with Coach Brownell?

Mar 4, 2021, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Have you shared your expertise with Coach Brownell? ]

Saving their minutes for the next game.

Mar 4, 2021, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Why did Nick Honor only play 14 minutes? ]

Why with 30 seconds to go, were we not fouling and chunking 3’s with honor, Hemingway, Dawes, etc?
You don’t give up with 30 seconds to go - even down 10. Stranger things have happened.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2021, 8:16 AM

I think Hunter hit a couple shots but wasnt much of a factor otherwise. I continue to think he could be a good player but just isnt making much of an impact when he gets a chance. Wish he would catch a little of Halls drive to make things happen

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2021, 8:54 AM

Sims had a really bad game. The Cuse took him out of the game early. Good coaching by the orange staff. Coach BB is pushing hard to get Sims on the all ACC first team but he isn’t going to make it with games like this one. The really good big men take the ball to the basket but Sims prefers to play the ball off the rim and that isn’t easy against a good defensive player,

Mar 4, 2021, 9:34 AM

I love Sims, but it is criminal to play him as a 5 when he is a 3. Other teams with big men, can slow him down, and then, not much inside game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In all fairness, Honor did not make much, if ANY positive

Mar 4, 2021, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Why did Nick Honor only play 14 minutes? ]

impact on this game when he was in there either. To put it in the crudest terms, no amount of polishing would make this whole game anything other than it was, a turd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because the syracuse reporter is only 5-2***

Mar 4, 2021, 10:46 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: because the syracuse reporter is only 5-2***

Mar 4, 2021, 10:54 AM

I will keep saying this fact. It is obvious that the basic use of the square above the rim is not being used. The tigers are putting the ball up way to hard off the backboard and that is a clear sign that are not practicing using the square. This is taught in Middle school basketball if not before.

Honor didn’t play much

Mar 4, 2021, 12:57 PM

because Brad doesn’t like to play Dawes and Honor at the same time, as they are the two littlest players on our team. This especially makes a lot of sense against a really long team like Syracuse. You can’t really compare Honor to Chase Hunter because Chase Hunter plays the 2 or the 3, Honor is a point guard and the only guy he could guard is Girard because otherwise he’d have to guard a guy 7-8 inches taller than him like Alan Griffin or Buddy Boeheim. Even if Hunter and Honor were the same height Chase Hunter deserves the minutes he got he was 3/6 with 7 points and 4 assists. If you want to compare Honor to Dawes that’s fine but Dawes played a great game and went 4/6 for 11 points while Honor went 0/3.

Is this a serious question?

Mar 4, 2021, 2:31 PM

Nick Honor was 0-3 shooting, with 1 assist, 1 rebound, and 1 steal.

Chase Hunter was 3-6 shooting, with 4 assists, 1 steal, and 0 turnovers.

The playing time differential wasn't significant last night. Hunter played 20 minutes, and Honor played 14 minutes.

The bulk of the minutes at guard went to Dawes (27 minutes), Trapp (27 minutes), and Hemenway (24 minutes).

While I agree that Honor is a better player than Hunter, I think it was reasonable last night to give Hunter those minutes. He did well, which was great to see since he has struggled this year.

More importantly, Syracuse is a big team and Honor wasn't doing well defensively against Syracuse's players. If you watch the game, Hunter did much better on the defensive end.

Re: Is this a serious question?

Mar 4, 2021, 2:33 PM

^ This, unless Honor was a hot hand, it would be a tough night for him otherwise.

He also does not "warm up" so you can tell early. He is either on fire or cold. All of our Ls tend to be bad night for him save for the GT game.

Re: Is this a serious question?

Mar 4, 2021, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Is this a serious question? ]

Trapp was 1-7 with 5 assists and 5 turnovers. I know he's our best defensive player but he's an offensive liability. And we sure needed some offense last night.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

As inconsistent as Trapp is on offense in terms of scoring

Mar 4, 2021, 8:49 PM

he is a really smart player who, as you said, plays very good defense. He does a lot of things on both ends that don’t always show up on the stat sheet.

I share your frustration with him as a scorer though. I often feel that outside shots he takes would’ve been better taken by someone else.

On the other hand, Honor lit up Cuse last month....

Mar 4, 2021, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Is this a serious question? ]

Dropped five 3 pointers on them.
Simms also torched them last time.
So the size difference isn’t everything in that matchup.
There’s a little bit of ‘feast or famine’ with Honor.
But mainly...it was a road game for us, and Syracuse obviously made some key adjustments that affected us.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic