Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The real student problem and why it will get worse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

The real student problem and why it will get worse

Mar 4, 2014, 8:16 AM

I graduated in 2006, a few years earlier president Barker started his race for the top 20 public school. It was an exciting time, and many of the students were happy to get behind it. Then as our move up the ranks slowed, the number crunching and manipulation began. Instead of actually making the school better, they did things to meet a magazine agenda. Now this past year I personally have known qualified students, with Clemson legacy and love to be turned down. I'm not talking about at the minimum entrance lines, but ones getting full rides at top 20 universities! Why? Clemson doesn't have an Essay or any way of evaluation for incoming students besides the SAT/ACT. As long as Clemson ignores it's heritage and continues number manipulation to falsely rise in the top public school polls then our long term success will be sold for temporary gain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

No way of evaluating incoming students besides test scores?

Mar 4, 2014, 8:29 AM

Clemson receives more admission applications than there is classroom space available. Therefore, the qualifications of students admitted in any given year is related to the number of applications received.

There is no set cutoff point for grades, class standing or SAT/ACT scores, but the high school academic record is more important than test scores.

Besides SAT/ACT scores and class standing, other factors such as high school curriculum, extracirricular activities, grades, choice of major and S.C. residency are also considered.

I'm not sure about a typical undergraduate admissions scenario but a detailed essay is required for admission to the Calhoun Honors College.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The real student problem and why it will get worse

Mar 4, 2014, 8:39 AM

This is 1000/0 correct....and I have a Bachelors and Masters from Clemson. Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would home address help separate the data?

Mar 4, 2014, 8:52 AM

i know it seems silly.

i keep hearing there is something in them hills. there are a lot of fabulous universities out there, sorry, clemson's classroom isn't anything extraordinary.

what's special about clemson is clemson and guess what, you get a great education there too. the upstate isn't for everyone, student and/or student-athlete alike. it's a "taste" where you plan on spending 3 plus of your precious & perhaps most memorable years. it's college d@mmit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sunny day, opponent no one cares about, baseball v USC,

Mar 4, 2014, 8:53 AM

its hard to get anyone to show up in the spring when its a beautiful day, playing a mediocre Maryland team no one cares about. I'm guessing if the students wanted a seat at the baseball game (it was a big game), they had to show up early.

I think if we had not lost to WF, a larger crowd would have shown up. All the experts keep telling us we are out. As long as the team doesn't believe it, we have a chance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ misspelled clemson basketball team no one cares about

Mar 4, 2014, 8:57 AM

sincerely,

cu students

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^ misspelled clemson basketball team no one cares about

Mar 4, 2014, 8:59 AM

Why do we not have any white boys getting playing time on the basketball court? Does Brownlee not get paid enough to steal UVa recruits?

i always like the way you broach the tough topics...

Mar 4, 2014, 9:00 AM

do you journal bro?

Re: i always like the way you broach the tough topics...

Mar 4, 2014, 9:03 AM

Nah, I pretend I'm a poet sometimes though. I must admit, noone uses nouns as verbs quite like you, dsp. RH Tig eat your heart out.

we could make you laureate for the day, poets laureate if

Mar 4, 2014, 9:07 AM

you have scoks.

Re: The real student problem and why it will get worse

Mar 4, 2014, 9:09 AM

It's helpful to look at freshman class statistics for Clemson before posting such info. I looked at the 2013 stats for those admitted a few weeks ago. I'm going on memory cuz I'm on my phone, but the majority of applicants were out of state. Hence, there will be a large percentage of the student population that are out of state kids......on average those out of state applicants have higher scores.

I don't think the Clemson Admissions Office is intentionally not admitting "legacy, SC kids", I just think the makeup of the applicant pool has gotten to where the Clemson student body population is no longer a mostly home-grown SC group.

67% of Clemson students are from SC

Mar 4, 2014, 9:13 AM

It's hovered around 65% for as long as I can remember. It was definitely 65/35 when I applied back in 2004. Here's a link of the current number so Bob doesn't have to provide one:

http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/faq.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The freshmen breakdown is lower

Mar 4, 2014, 9:25 AM

In 2012, it was 61%. For 2013, it was 60%.

http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/documents/guidance-report.pdf

http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/documents/breakfast-presentation.pdf

However, I would guess that the majority of the kids in the TCTC bridge program are from SC, so that would skew the overall numbers higher as they transition in.

Point taken, but that is still 60% to 61%

Mar 4, 2014, 9:32 AM

It's not like a "majority" of students are out of state like I've seen people claim on here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I graduated from Clemson and was from out of state. I now

Mar 4, 2014, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: The real student problem and why it will get worse ]

live out of state and I fully expect my kids to be given an equal opportunity to attend Clemson regardless of their state residency .

prepare to be raped on tuition, unless they are on scholarship.

Mar 4, 2014, 10:08 AM

Clemson views out-of-state students as revenue opportunities. The state of SC provides only 10% of Clemson's operating costs, yet out-of-state tuition is double in-state.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I graduated from Clemson and was from out of state. I now

Mar 4, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I graduated from Clemson and was from out of state. I now ]

In state students should make up 95% of the CU student body.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? The state should fund the university better if they

Mar 4, 2014, 1:02 PM

want that level of in state kids. Out of state kids help pay the bills.

God forbid the university accept better students!

Mar 4, 2014, 9:12 AM

I graduated from high school in 1987. Schools like Clemson, UGA & Florida would let anyone in. Nowadays those 3 schools are excellent academic institutions. Isn't that the purpose of a university? I don't think basketball attendance is a very big priority academically.

Let the SCARs & GA Southerns of the world take those who can't qualify for Clemson & UGA.

Agree: Isn't that the purpose of a university? (to get

Mar 4, 2014, 9:44 AM

better academically)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If your points were the primary factors, Duke wouldn't

Mar 4, 2014, 9:54 AM

have any students at their games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic