Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who here really thinks Johnson will get reps ahead of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Who here really thinks Johnson will get reps ahead of

Oct 14, 2017, 1:52 PM

Cooper at this point? I'm not asking if you think he should or what your opinion is regarding which QB should play or how good or bad any QB has looked. I'm simply asking if any of you hold out any hope that Johnson has jumped Cooper on the depth chart at this point.

I ask because it appears that a lot of folks believe that Johnson is the better QB, or at least deserves a shot ahead of Cooper, and are hopeful that is the case. Yet after last night's game, Dabo, Elliott, and Scott all insist that Cooper is solidly in the #2 slot behind KB and ahead of HJ, and has been all along.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Who here really thinks Johnson will get reps ahead of

Oct 14, 2017, 1:59 PM

If it hasn't happened yet it's probably not going to happen this season unless we lose another game or Cooper gets hurt.

Coaches seem convinced that Cooper is better and we all know how that goes. They won't change their minds unless their hand is forced. See Watson as exhibit A.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 2:00 PM

Yes he looked better against Wake. None of us know HJ's knowledge of the play book or how practice goes. We all have our opinions, but that's all we got.

Frank Howard used to say the most popular player on the team was the back-up QB. In this case it is the 3rd string QB.

Why didn't we redshirt Johnson? Well Lawrence comes in in January and we have another 4-star QB on redshirt that played for 7-A Grayson in Georgia.

Dabo will play the most senior QB unless there is a huge

Oct 14, 2017, 2:04 PM

difference and even if there is eg Watson/Stoudt the most senior player will get the nod. That's just the way we are set up. Even when it was so obvious to everyone, KB stayed in the game playing very hurt until there was no choice and he had to come out due to injury.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 2:08 PM

I do not think Johnson gets anymore. I do think if you are going to let your qb lead the team in rushes then better #### well have a plan for the 2nd and 3rd team qb to have to play at some point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is showing signs of CTB with his loyalty/seniority....

Oct 14, 2017, 2:11 PM

.... Mindset. Best was not the standard last night for anyone on the team less Renfrow.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong. Y'all look at qb to make that claim, but ETN, Dex, Wilkins, Rogers,

Oct 14, 2017, 2:38 PM

Hyatt, Sammy, are all just some of many examples of playing the best guy anywhere on the field; all had significant roles as FR.

I do believe he didn't want to undercyt confidence. I'm in no positiin to judge that decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I do think Dabo values experience, maturity, and knowledge

Oct 14, 2017, 2:53 PM

the system, particularly at QB. It has absolutely nothing to do with "seniority" or loyalty.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Respect your opinion SW ... but apples and oranges

Oct 14, 2017, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Wrong. Y'all look at qb to make that claim, but ETN, Dex, Wilkins, Rogers, ]

QB is most important position on the field. Even in a situation like yesterday when Clemson was 2-deep better at every position but QB, we got beat due to terrible QB play. There was no threat of even an average passing game. Even a team with poor personnel we beat by over 50 last year can stack the line when there is no passing threat.

Dexter and Christian could win the job by putting our O-Line in the hospital. Sammy by dominating our at the time poor DB's, The QB position is more nuanced and cerebral.

Ironically I would argue our passing game was good in the first half

Oct 14, 2017, 3:35 PM

and that it was the inability the running qb that hurt us.
I've seen waht you have with HJ.. better passer, but that doesn't equal better runner of the O necessarily. The same way KB was throwing well but we weren't playing our style game.
That said, in the 2nd half, our O looked more like our O, but Cooper was sailing passes. We still moved the ball, but couldn't finish. Add in pathetic STs and the inability to get a D stop and there is the loss.

I just think there's toi much focus on the qb, and not enough of the onus being put on allowing a 6min drive to kill the clock combined with poor STs (2 missed FGs and that awful fake.)

null

Serious kweshun...

Oct 14, 2017, 2:16 PM

Has any noticed that on certain drives it seems that Dabo is calling plays from the sideline? I have noticed him with the play sheet covering his mouth like he's making play calls.

Oct 14, 2017, 2:20 PM

I listen to every single sound bite that hits the internet from Dabo Swinney. Last week he says Cooper and Johnson split the second team reps every week. After this week (and after ZC's horrendous showing vs WF) he simply states ZC was the second string guy and that's why he's in the whole second half. It just doesn't add up.

Oct 14, 2017, 2:21 PM

Teams will stack the box and make Cooper beat them through the air and you know how that will go. Cooper is slow and inaccurate recipe for disaster.

Message was edited by: keith75®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly won't be taking the first team reps next week and

Oct 14, 2017, 2:31 PM

maybe longer. That was a nasty shot he took and his ankle looks like an issue that could linger as well. Would not surprise me if he is in the concussion protocol for several weeks. As much as we run him, he's going to get dinged up again.

I would look for Johnson and Cooper to get equal reps with the first team offense leading up to the Georgia Tech game. Cooper will get the start, but Johnson will get in early. They know they have to give them both a shot and see who is most productive under pressure. Cooper wasn't bad, but he is obviously not comfortable in the glare, whereas Johnson has looked very comfortable running the offense and going through his reads. Probably better than both Cooper and Bryant in the latter regard.

We rely way too much on Kelly Bryant's running to keep him healthy and to consistently beat good teams. We don't throw and catch particularly well right now. We are 67th in the nation in passing yards per game. We are small at wide receiver and, as a starting group, they aren't very effective blockers in the screen game or running game. Our starting group lacks the playmakers and large targets on third down and in the red zone that Williams and Leggett were.

We need to force feed the development of Higgins and Overton and prepare for how teams are going to defend our running game going forward, especially with absence of KB. That's why I think we need Hunter Johnson to come in and spread the ball around to open things up for our running game. He appears to be our most accurate passer and best at going through his progressions. He can get the ball into the tighter windows that our smaller wideouts present and get the ball out to the flats more on time and with better zip. We'll be able to get the ball out to our backs better. It would be a nice contrast to what teams prepare for with KB in there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great stuff T-Man

Oct 14, 2017, 3:11 PM

You know your pigskin and your hoops ... no doubt.

Re: Kelly won't be taking the first team reps next week and

Oct 14, 2017, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Kelly won't be taking the first team reps next week and ]

How can you possibly know if HJ is better going through his progressions? You’ve never seen it. Every pass against Wake was his first read, primary target. In his limited passing opportunities in the other games were all quick throws. We have literally never seen HJ go from first to second to third read. Ever. So how do you know he is better?

We know what the coaches said

Oct 14, 2017, 2:35 PM

What is your opinion? After what you saw last night do you think HJ should be getting some practice reps with the 1s? Should HJ have gotten on the field last night?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on what I have seen, HJ has looked much better

Oct 14, 2017, 2:46 PM

than ZC, and if that was all I had to go on, then HJ would have played last night. Now, whether we like or agree with their decision, our coaches have about a million times that to go on.

- H. L. Mencken

I think they split reps in practice til KB returns.***

Oct 14, 2017, 2:35 PM

null

It may be awhile before KB returns. There is no guarantee

Oct 14, 2017, 2:39 PM

that he will return for GT or at any point this season. He was out for quite some time.

We need to prepare for that possibility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ST ... I give it a low 10% chance

Oct 14, 2017, 3:01 PM

Deshaun won a lot of games for Clemson; he called audibles, reversed play calls on the field, ran the show, and called his own shots based upon the Defense, his instincts and what he saw before the snap. That advantage is gone.

IMHO Dabo is stating through his actions that a Top 350 rated high school player and last year's 3rd string QB (KB) who spent two years in his program is better than the top-rated high school freshman QB in the country. Dabo's loyalty to Clemson experience and his depth chart extended to ZC and cost the team a win yesterday. A lot of what makes Dabo great is, as a former hard-working walk-on blocking WR scrub at Bama, he understands team chemistry and everyone playing their role for the team to be great.

Problem is yesterday he gauged wrong. We lost to one of the worst Power 5 teams in the nation based upon SYR's loss to Middle TN and Middle TN's losing record in FCS. The team yesterday, both O and D. were not completely on board with coaching decisions or the schemes. I would not be surprised if some of the coaches were not on board as well, but they are much too professional to say so publicly.

So I would expect Dabo to have a little hard place in his heart towards HJ who has not been at Clemson long enough to win over the team and may not be Dabo's style of leader for whatever reason. So here's a question for you. What if HJ is the most capable and talented passing QB on the team this year and has not won over the team? As a coach, do you let the team lose by playing the better known quantity and more popular guy on the team? It's a valid question. I still give it a slim chance Dabo will give HJ some reps because Dabo has always shown he can be flexible to help the team. Dabo we know is a winner. The biggest issue is we lost our most important asset this year - not Dabo but Deshaun.

Oct 14, 2017, 3:38 PM

zero chance. Dabvo and his OC's are simply too stubborn!

Dabo will come back from Bama with the All In

Oct 14, 2017, 3:44 PM

Get behind Cooper or stay home.

He will not. Regrettably.***

Oct 14, 2017, 4:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of variables come into play, all I am going

Oct 14, 2017, 4:33 PM

Off of is the fact that HJ threw a TD pass last weekend and ran the offense with ease and Cooper looked uncomfortable, under/over threw majority of passes, and did not look crisp. Cooper looked the same last night, so why not even try HJ in a series? I get it, he’s a freshman in a big away game, and had a good chance of turning the ball over, but from what I’ve seen he had a better chance of winning that game too. We wouldn’t have been able to make a fg, needed a TD.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 4:33 PM

I will let the coaches insistence on throwing the oft-nearly-intercepted bubble screen answer what route I think they will go with player reps. :(

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic