Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why?

Feb 10, 2018, 6:27 PM

1) Lawrence
2) Bryant
3) Johnson

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Feb 10, 2018, 6:38 PM

Because qb slot is very important in American football

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why?

Feb 10, 2018, 6:49 PM

Bryant

I think the spring is basically a battle for 2nd on the depth chart; however, if HJ15 or TL ball out, I think it gets settled in fall camp and the first few games of the season

Bearing a horrible start to the season or KB truly playing awful, if KB isn't unseated by game 4 he's sticking

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 5:34 PM

problem is...
Johnson Balled out last yr, and no one cared....so it seem.

Here's the deal...
With as much talent as we have on this team from top to bottom. It's not
like Bryant has to be great for us to win ( in general). With as bad as
this conference is, solid defense will beat 90% of the teams in this
conference. The problem lies, CAN BRYANT BEAT THE BETTER TEAMS @ THE
country. And so far, the answer is..."no".
His full body of work in 2017 wasn't bad, no. But at this point, I am not
sure Clemson can win a NC with him. I am sure some ppl do, that's fine. But
if this team is going reach "Greatness"...

it'll be with Johnson or Lawrence.

IMHO

Feb 10, 2018, 6:58 PM

Dabo gives advantages to the upperclassmen even when the younger player is better. Watson! Bryant will be given every advantage but can he improve his long range passing? Bryant runs too much when pressured. We have to get back to the offense Watson ran being pass first run second. Hunter Johnson has get better. Trevor Lawrence has all the tools but has to get the speed of the college game. Bryant will probably come out of spring the starter. If Johnson or Lawrence catch or surpass Bryant, one will get it. Fall practice will be the key. Dabo no more Stoudt Watsons stupidity!

That's a myth.***

Feb 10, 2018, 6:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a myth.***

Feb 10, 2018, 7:14 PM

How could Stoudt with no talent ever start over an NFL level Watson?

wasn't watson hurt- preseason shoulder

Feb 10, 2018, 7:20 PM

began to take over then tore his knee up

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Broke his collarbone in the spring and was behind the

Feb 10, 2018, 9:36 PM

curve a bit going into fall camp.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The answers to that question are so simple and so obvious.***

Feb 10, 2018, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: That's a myth.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: That's a myth.***

Feb 10, 2018, 7:20 PM [ in reply to That's a myth.*** ]

You can't tell a chicken not to scratch .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dabo values experience (not seniority) and the knowledge,

Feb 10, 2018, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why? ]

poise, and confidence that comes with it. It's just one factor coaches consider, but a very important one. I think a lot of fans, and a lot of T-Netters, vastly underestimate how important it is. At the end of the day, our coaches will play the QB they believe gives us the best chance to win, and it has ZERO to do with seniority or favoritism, and everything to do with winning, regardless of what a lot of nimrods think.

- H. L. Mencken

True with an asterisk ST

Feb 11, 2018, 12:50 PM

While Dabo, OC's and Streeter did not develop or provide snap opportunities for Hunter Johnson throughout the 2017 season, Nick Saban and Kirby Smart (through necessity and Eason injury) got their true freshmen QB's ready to play. As a result, due primarily to QB position BAMA and UGA in my estimation were better teams at the end of the 2017/18 season going into playoffs than our Clemson Tigers. This was a coaching decision - going in to SYR game Dabo had ZC ranked ahead of HJ. Did not work out well in SYR. And after game, Dabo moved ZC to number 3 without providing any more minutes for HJ. KB never was the same especially running after severe ankle injury.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 12:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why? ]

Everyone keeps leaving out Chase Brice

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dabo gives advantages to the upperclassmen even when the younger player is better. Watson! Bryant will be given every advantage but can he improve his long range passing? Bryant runs too much when pressured. We have to get back to the offense Watson ran being pass first run second. Hunter Johnson has get better. Trevor Lawrence has all the tools but has to get the speed of the college game. Bryant will probably come out of spring the starter. If Johnson or Lawrence catch or surpass Bryant, one will get it. Fall practice will be the key. Dabo no more Stoudt Watsons stupidity!

No love for Brice on this board.

But on a serious note, unless Hunter, Trevor, or Chase are absolutely dominating the Spring and Summer, then Bryant is gonna start the first games. It could change during the season but I'm not betting on anyone else starting the first couple of games.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2018, 6:59 PM

Just like Stoudt Watson

Feb 10, 2018, 7:12 PM

Honestly it should be HJ if not he needs to transfer to a different school. A lot of love is being sent to sunshine. I just think with the WR we have we need a qb that can throw the ball all over the field and KB doesn't do that. I hope the coaching staff either moves KB or finds different packages to get him on the field.

Feb 10, 2018, 7:12 PM

Amen !

Feb 10, 2018, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why? ]

You people ??

Feb 10, 2018, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why? ]

I expect that Hunter Johnson's hair will be on fire come April . He is the guy I think has first dibs to supplant KB , although like most I agree it is KB's job to lose in the spring and even fall practices .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Bryant...

Feb 10, 2018, 7:17 PM

No way we roll into College Station, Texas the second game of the year with a true freshman at QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 10, 2018, 7:37 PM

Bryant
T Law
Brice

HJ will transfer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes sense. HJ should transfer at year end if not

Feb 11, 2018, 12:55 PM

named Spring starter. HJ has an NFL career opportunity ahead of him while KB has CFL and coaching opportunities ahead. HJ has to keep career path moving forward with TL already being given more love form Dabo.

Feb 10, 2018, 9:37 PM

KB is proven and a dang good qb. Sorry but the young guns have to wait another year unless he gets hurt.

You may be right CMoney

Feb 11, 2018, 1:01 PM

But don't see Clemson and Dabo forfeiting more playoff games in 2018/19 with a QB who cannot make all the throws and plays with a severely limited playbook. I see KB starting for a few games and being overtaken or sharing snaps by 9/29 Syracuse game.

I will tell you I would bet Bama 99 out of 100 times against Clemson with KB as starting QB.

Feb 11, 2018, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Who do your pridict to be starting QB come fall? Why? ]

KB was assuredly our best...last year.

Last year, the depth chart was incredibly inexperienced. KB was a (true) junior but he had been third-string until last year and really was still pretty raw.

Zerrick Cooper was our #2 coming out of Fall camp. This was legit - Hunter Johnson simply wasn't ready. But as we saw, Cooper wasn't very good. Obviously had the talent but it never looked like he was reading defenses or going through a structured progression at all and I really question his work ethic and grasp on the playbook. It looked like he was trying to hotshot everything, seat-of-his-pants style, and that he was over-relying on that cannon arm of his. He had all the physical tools; I question how prepared he was. Stuff ran weird when he was in there and his decision-making was...befuddling. At best.

Hunter Johnson was coming out of a very different offense from 2A Indiana ball. There was a huge jump in level of competition and a huge learning curve and it showed. He flashed some stuff but I don't think he was nearly ready to take over either. The game hadn't entirely slowed down for him yet and his comfort level and confidence weren't there yet either.

Tucker Israel was out with surgery and we were redshirting Chase Brice rather than waste a redshirt year on a guy who was going to be fourth-string and who didn't get in until fall.

So we had talent, but we also had some serious inexperience. KB emerged as the most game-ready of them, grabbed his chance, and really did exceptionally well with it, all things considered. We tweaked the offense to what he did well - namely, his running and athleticism - simplified the passing game, and leaned on our defense and the run game to protect him. He did really well but we saw what he couldn't do when we finally ran into Alabama and they dared us to beat them down the field...and we couldn't.

This is a very different year, IMHO. Hunter Johnson will have had a full 1.5 years at Clemson come the end of Fall camp. Chase Brice will have had a year and he is, per everybody I've talked to, way readier to contribute than Zerrick Cooper was. And Trevor Lawrence is just a different animal, maybe a different animal than anybody has ever seen in college football.

KB may hold onto his job. But he's going to have to take - definitively - that next step as a passer or these hotshots are going to go thundering past him, too.

Will he? Be interesting to see. I think it's a pick 'em at best right now. KB's got a lot of talent himself, but those aren't your ordinary competitors breathing down his neck, either.

It's a very, very different level of competition this year, and I do not relish the coaches this decision. At all.

Feb 10, 2018, 9:39 PM

Bryant will share time with Brice and Johnson 1st game but Johnson will start 2nd game with Bryant coming in after a lead because he’s a player who’s determined to win the job and is very talented. Trevor will redshirt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 10, 2018, 9:46 PM

Absolutely no chance TL redshirts. He will transfer first.

Dabo has a senority QB spring policy

Feb 10, 2018, 9:44 PM

Bryant is the starter

K Bryant while T Lawrence gets some experience.

Feb 10, 2018, 9:46 PM

By game 4 TL will get most of the snaps.

Feb 10, 2018, 10:00 PM

I think Bryant will be starting with Hunter 2nd, then TL. TL can be the most gifted QB in the history of the Universe, but until he learns Clemson's complex and intricate offense then the coaches aren't going to trust him enough to start him. He may see the field a little, but he won't start.

That's not a dig at TL, but there is a learning curve.

Now, who's going to be starting against Ga. Southern on Sept. 15? That, is a different matter. :)

I hear you but 2017/18 season

Feb 11, 2018, 1:10 PM

showed me that KB knows the Offense but can't run it at 80% efficiency. Offense was curtailed greatly in 2017 as Dabo relied on BV and Defense to control every game. While KB received lots of credit for steering the ship, the other 21 guys were doing a lot of work to keep him on the field.

Are you saying that after one year and a half years in system that HJ has still not learned system. If that's the case, that's a coaching breakdown. (Bama and UGA had their true frosh QB's ready to go last year and it paid major dividends.) And are you stating that TL is not sharp enough to learn the system as quickly as the GOAT DW4 did with Chad Morris? Finally, are you saying KB is more talented at QB position than HJ and TL? Sorry. I just don't see it. I see this as KB's last year of playing football and all these more talented players biding time before NFL careers.

KB solid #1, until after @Texas AMU... why?

Feb 11, 2018, 12:41 AM

Because our coaches wouldn't start TL on the road like that. KB and our D can win all of the regular season games next year.

Watch for TL's playing time to increase after TAMU. Who knows, he might take over. But watching our coaching staff for many years, I don't expect them to change much.

We may have KB to start all of the games, build a lead for halftime, then TL takes over.

I hope HJ can beat them both out, but not sure it will happen. Spring practice will be fun!

Re: KB solid #1, until after @Texas AMU... why?

Feb 11, 2018, 1:37 PM

Can Bryant beat Alabama or a playoff team? I don’t think so. Change the offense to what it was.

Feb 11, 2018, 4:46 AM

Who: Joey Batson’s son

Why: you axed.

Feb 11, 2018, 6:01 AM

KB starts all year. Then Trevor come in and wins the Natty. That is the model now right?

Feb 11, 2018, 6:12 AM

IMO. Depends on who can not only throw the ball effectively but which one can read the defense at the line, most efficiently. I think that’s the key and Bama exposed that weakness which, moving forward, is extremely healthy for the team and coaches.

Christian Wilkins

Feb 11, 2018, 7:33 AM

You know why

Man makes a good point

Feb 11, 2018, 1:12 PM

Look for CW again to be the team leader ...

Cristian Wilkens

Feb 11, 2018, 7:39 AM

#2. Why not?***

Feb 11, 2018, 1:05 PM

That you Delvin?***

Feb 11, 2018, 1:44 PM

Imo, Dabo won't throw a freshman in the fire.

Feb 11, 2018, 3:48 PM

KB will be the likely starter but ultimately TL will take the job. While KB, HJ and CB all have fair shots at being the first QB on the field I think KB hold onto the job until TL takes it.

I don't think it's about TL proving to our coaching staff that he's the best. I think it's about TL waking and realizing that he's ready for anything that comes down the pike. I think that's why Dabo started Cole and kept Cole in that starting job until DW got that look in his eyes. At that point there was no doubt or confusion.

It's about confidence from knowing, it's not about having a self serving ego.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB will be the first Clemson Gentleman

Feb 11, 2018, 5:02 PM

from the state of South Carolina to win a Heisman and the National Champion in the same season. Who will win the 2019 QB competition?

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic