Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where we're you when 9/11 happened?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Where we're you when 9/11 happened?

Sep 11, 2012, 2:19 PM

I was 7 years old. My mom picked me up early from kindergarten, asked her why, she said, something you wouldn't understand, I just want you home with me right now, I'll tell you about it later. Later that day we went to our church with everybody to pray. There were TVs on in the lobby and I seen what happened. Didn't know what it was or what it was about, but I seen everybody around me crying while watching it.

I know now. Turned out to be the most tragic day in American history.

God bless the victims family and friends and NEVER FORGET THE HEROS ON FLGHT 93 either. God I wish somebody on that flight survived. Would love to hear his/her story!

R.I.P.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where we're you when 9/11 happened?

Sep 11, 2012, 2:21 PM

Sept. 11 snuck up on me this year. It was only after I put the heading on my daily to-do list on Monday that I realized the following day had any special significance. I believe my reaction was something like, "Oh ####. Tomorrow is 9/11."

The surprise was somewhat bittersweet. In some ways, it was finally nice that, after 11 years, the horrible implications of that awful day are somewhat of an afterthought now being more than a decade removed. Then again, I was saddened, and a touch angry with myself, for letting the memorial become just that -- an afterthought.

The "Never Forget" mantra of 9/11 is more than just a hollow catchphrase of forced patriotism. That is why every year on Sept. 11, I post this same story. It's to remind me of what it was like on that day, and helps me to remember the visceral emotions as the years make it harder and harder to reexperience. As much as we loathe reflecting upon the events of 9/11, reliving the feelings -- the dark, sickening, penetrating confusion of the morning -- is a way to keep us ever mindful of the evil that exists in the world.

My story is but a humble memorial to the lives lost. And, more personally, it is an attempt to never let myself forget.

We've come a long way as a nation in the last 11 years, and not completely in a positive way. While we have certainly become stronger in our ability to rebound from tragedy, we've also become much more passive to the tyranny in our backyard, distracted by the tyranny that exists oceans away. As much as I hate to make 9/11 "political," I believe it would be an insult to the lives lost on 9/11 if we, as a nation, slowly acquiesce to the same attacks on freedom coming from domestic enemies as those that came from terrorists abroad on 9/11.

Liberty is such a precious thing. And, yet, we hardly notice as it erodes from under our feet. My only plea is this: Be vigilant. The liberties that we give up are likely never to be returned. And, like a beach that slowly washes away with the tide, we will one day find ourselves neck-deep in a sea of despotism.

So, that's all.

My 9/11

I don't remember much about that morning. I don't remember the temperature outside. I don't remember whether it was cloudy. My earliest memory begins around 9:00 a.m., when someone knocked on the door of my Junior English class. In a voice wrought with apprehensiveness, (a feeling I would know all too well by the end of the day) they announced that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center, and the building was on fire. We immediately turned on the TV to watch what was unfolding. The first image that appeared on the screen was a wide shot of the Twin Towers, with the north tower burning, and smoking.

I remember that the first thought to race through my head was, 'How could this happen? Did a pilot get blinded by the sun, and not see the building?'

My class and I discussed in muted tones what might be the cause of the plane hitting the building. I seem to remember the anchors on the news channel floating the idea that it could have been an act of terrorism. At our age, few of us in the room really remembered the first WTC attack in the 90s. And, the name “Osama bin Laden” wasn’t even in our vocabulary. The idea of “foreign terrorism” was relatively alien to us.

It wasn't until 9:03 a.m. when the second plane appeared on the TV screen, following a direct course towards the towers. I thought, 'What is he doing?! Does he not see the buildings?!' Then there was fire on the screen, gasps from my peers, and then finally dead silence across the room.

Even writing that last paragraph still gives me shivers as the scene plays in my head.

We talked a little about what was going on, though I don't remember much of what was said. My mind was in a different place.

At 9:30 a.m., Bush went on television to confirm the suspicions we all had in our minds: America was under attack.

We ended up turning off the TV, and went back to work; at least what we could do with our minds heavy from what we had just seen. A few minutes passed before we abandoned our work, and turned the TV back to the news. Reports started floating in around 9:45 a.m. that the National Mall was on fire. Nobody really knew the cause at the time, or whether it was related to the attack in NYC.

Later, we would learn that it was not the National Mall, but the Pentagon that had also been struck by a plane.

At 10:00 a.m., after shock had fully set in, we shuffled down to the commons area for break, where my friends and I all discussed what we had heard, and what we thought. I didn't have much to say. My head was spinning, and I didn't feel much like talking. I didn't feel like much of anything. I just felt numb. Numb, and heavy.

As I discovered later, as I walked down the stairwell for break, the south tower of the World Trade Center was collapsing. Other people, walking down other stairwells, would never make it to the bottom floor.

At 10:15 a.m., I walked through the door of my next class. As I was walking to the room, I had heard another student jokingly remark: "The south tower of the WTC collapses. In other news, Dunkin' Donuts stock goes down."

My initial reaction was one of pure hatred. I immediately wanted to choke him, and ask him how he could act in such a way in spite of everything that was going on. But, quickly that sentiment waned as I mentally processed his words: 'What did he mean the building collapsed?'

When I walked into class, the television was already on, and a few students were clustered by it. I looked at the screen, and only saw one tower standing. I thought: 'Where is the other building? Is it blocked by the angle of the camera shot? It has to be there.'

It wasn't, and a few seconds later, the news anchor stated the South Tower had fallen, and the screen cut to a picture of the building disintegrating as it collapsed in on itself. We continued to watch a live feed of the events for a while longer. That is when we watched the North Tower fall.

Even on the television, it’s impossible to explain a sight like that, much less comprehend. But what did it matter? Words were sort of in short supply that morning.

We turned off the TV only a little while later, and tried to do as much work as we could, given the circumstances. I didn't see a TV for the rest of the day. When I got home, I turned on the news and watched for a few hours, then went to bed.

The next day, on Sept. 12, I would wake up in a new world.

In the coming days, and weeks, I would reflect on how naive I was. I would never look at the world in the same way as I once did. Even 10 years later, I find it impossible to remember what it was like before the concept of “global terrorism,” or “al Qaeda.”

That day, my generation lost our innocence, and was stripped of the naiveté we enjoyed as children who had grown up without a national tragedy of this magnitude. It changed how we looked at the world. We saw that every action has a consequence, and that not even an ocean could protect us from the evil of men.

That is why it is important to not only remember the evil of Sept. 11, but also the courage and valor. We must never forget the sacrifices of those who walked into danger to save the lives of others. And, we must never forget the lives of those innocent Americans who perished. Their lives are a testament to the liberty we enjoy, and how badly our enemies would like to see it destroyed.

The emotions of that day remind us that we are not alone in this world, and that liberty comes at a cost. Given this, we must never sacrifice this liberty for any person, or any ideal. We live in a society where freedom and security coexist, and are not mutually exclusive principles. The day we sacrifice one for the other is the day all of the 2,974 lives taken on Sept. 11 will be without redemption.

If Sept. 11, 2001 taught us anything, let it be that liberty is at the foundation of this country, and that while terror attacks may knock down buildings and break our hearts, it will never destroy the bedrock principles of the United States.

In closing, I'd like to leave you with this cartoon I ran across. I'm not sure why it moved me like it did. Maybe because the emotions that it evokes are the ones that I felt as I watched the second tower collapse, or maybe it just shows how the world can change in a just a few fleeting minutes. For reasons unknown to me, the cartoon has seemingly been scrubbed from the internet. What I have left of it is a crude screen capture, and the text that is on it. Though, I believe that is enough.

"There's a small corner of my driveway at home that I often find myself staring at.

It's where this guy I knew, Pat Danahy, sat in his car for well over an hour with the engine running. He refused to get out because it was cold that morning, and his little girl was asleep in her car-seat and he couldn't bear to wake her.

The last anybody saw of him, he was helping his co-workers evacuate their offices at Fiduciary Trust near the top of the World Trade Center.

Like I said, I stare at that spot a lot."

9th grade study hall

Sep 11, 2012, 2:22 PM

Watched second plane hit. Confused and sort of stunned something like that could happen.

Kid in my next class had an uncle in one of the tower buildings at the time. Needless to say, he didn't stay at school.

Clemson

7th grade history or english. Right before lunch

Sep 11, 2012, 2:22 PM

They had the TV's on in the lunch room at lunch... they never did that. It was on CNN.

My friends dad was in DC working at the pentagon that week. He took a sick day that day. pretty crazy.

honestly? I was getting the "play-by-play" right here

Sep 11, 2012, 2:24 PM

I wish Crump had some screen shots of that day.

Crazy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MTHSC 206 Exam at Clemson then Civil Classes in Lowry***

Sep 11, 2012, 2:27 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

patrolling I-95 as a Trooper with the SCHP

Sep 11, 2012, 2:27 PM

in Orangeburg County and we immediately went into 14 hour shifts stopping anything that fit descriptions of cars/tags/people that was on the FBI hit list for terror groups....it was the hardest 5 day stretch any of us had ever worked.....we were smoked but determined to nail anyone involved if they were coming down I-95 from NY to Florida. About a month later i stopped several NYPD and FDNY guys on their way to Florida on leave from the cleanup for minor speeding issues, etc. and spent a lot of time talking to them on the side of the road on I-95 between the 100 and 82 mile markers southboand. I'll never forget those days.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where we're you when 9/11 happened? at the Dr

Sep 11, 2012, 2:30 PM

when I got home I turned on tv and watched while getting updates here

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2012, 2:31 PM

--Up in the rafters of a Habitat house we were building in Spindale, NC.

I was driving to work and listening.............

Sep 11, 2012, 2:31 PM

to the Howard Stern show on the radio. Apparently Howard's studio at the time had a view of the trade center buildings. During the broadcast, several members of Howard's show saw the first plane hit and described the events on the radio as it was happening. Of course, at the time, they had no idea it was a terrorist attack. I immediately called my wife and then my office and told them to put on the tv because I had a feeling that this was huge!!

Sep 11, 2012, 2:33 PM

I was at work, and remember looking at the TV in the breakroom thinking, "that looks like the WTC on fire." I thought maybe it was a movie or something. I went about my business and a few minutes later when I looked at the TV again, it was the same image so I paid closer attention. That is when I knew something bad happened. I can remember the drive home that afternoon and listening to the radio thinking, "what's next?" 11 years later, and I'm still mad as h3ll. I'll never get over it.

NEVER FORGET

Tri County Tech

Sep 11, 2012, 2:35 PM

Dr. Mauer came in and said that our exam was cancelled and explained why. I then walked all the way out to my car from the oconee building while all of the construction workers were sitting in their trucks listening to the radiocast. On the way to my father's store, I was listening to the radio saying that Red Cross was overfull of blood donations. I watched the second plane hit while at my father's sporting good store in downtown Anderson with a tv that we found and somehow plugged up to cable. I then went in to work at the movie theater in Anderson and didn't see a single customer all night. Surreal doesn't even begin to desribe it. 2 years ago, I was training for a new job and I found out that one of my fellow trainees had just stepped foot outside of the first bulding at the plane hit. "Sickest day of my life" were his words to describe the day.

surfing tigernet at work***

Sep 11, 2012, 2:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Most tragic day [of your short history] in America."

Sep 11, 2012, 2:37 PM

Unfortunately, Americans killed almost 4000 and wounded another 17,000 other Americans near a little creek in Maryland on September 17, 1862.

Teaching high school Spanish at West-Oak High 20 mins

Sep 11, 2012, 2:37 PM

from Clemson. We turned it on CNN in the classroom and watched the 2nd plane hit. I'll never forget those kids and that class. We put everything on hold for 1 week and just spent class talking and trying to heal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Saw the news on the TVs at work. My son had been born

Sep 11, 2012, 2:38 PM

Sunday, the 9th, and I had planned to go get him and my wife from the hospital later that morning. I accelerated the schedule, probably for the same reason your mom came to get you.

Our nation lost a great deal that day, and I feel some of that loss. I've been touched by our response to a small degree and have friends who have given a lot more as a result of our response. But on Sept. 11, 2001, along with every day since then, one of my greatest dreams came true. So there will always be a positive associated with that day. No hate-mongering, life-disdaining terrorist is gonna take that away.

Getting dressed and watching the Today show.....

Sep 11, 2012, 2:38 PM

Jack Welch (former GE CEO) was on there talking about his new book - about that time a report came that a plane had hit one of the towers - they thought it was a small private plane - then they cut to a live shot of the tower burning.

About that time you saw the other airliner come around the other tower and run right into it - the all hell broke loose.

Working at Fike listening to Hawk and Tom.***

Sep 11, 2012, 2:41 PM

At work for a defense contractor in SC. They let everyone

Sep 11, 2012, 2:43 PM

go home later that day, but not before they parked duece- dueces with large machine guns at every entrance. we had a small tv in the break room we watched...I remember some ahole said everyone should get back to work, no one listened of course. the ride down 85 that afternoon was surreal, everyone was quiet (no loud music, no honking, no excessive speeding)

I was upstairs in my office and had Howard playing over the

Sep 11, 2012, 2:46 PM

radio...I was on the phone and only halfway listening when I started to hear bits and pieces of what was going on. I immediately went downstairs and switched on the news and watched the most devastating attack on America unfold. I called my wife and mother and made sure that they knew what was happening.

I also remember really missing my father who had died a few months before the attack; I just wanted to pick up the phone and hear his voice telling me that everything was going to be ok.

Cherry Point

Sep 11, 2012, 2:47 PM

I had just gone past the gusrd gate at Cherry Point Marine base in NC. I was there as a sales rep selling finishing equipment to re-finish jets. When we pulled up to the hanger we saw two soldiers running by us yelling at others "we are going to war"

We thought it was a drill, but when we got inside we found out what happened. They told us to get off the base as soon as possible. Whenwe got back to the gate they had maching guns and bomb sniffing dogs all over the place and the line to get in was a mile long.

My sales manager wanted to stay at the beach and do some fishing and I told him he could rent a car, because I was going home to my family ASAP!

Scary time for sure!

In my lightsey bridge apartment napping, senior year, woke

Sep 11, 2012, 2:51 PM

up to the nightmare on tv.

Sep 11, 2012, 2:55 PM

Was a Senior in Bible Class (Went to a Christian school for 10th-12th) Just remember everything and everyone being so somber that day. It was overcast in the pee dee.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my office at the Union at Clemson***

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

In the basement of Jordan in a computer science class. Went back to my apartment at Lightsey Bridge after and watched everything unfold.

Sitting at my desk at work....

Sep 11, 2012, 2:56 PM

One of my closest friends (and a Clemson classmate) called me and told me that a plane had just struck one of the World Trade Center towers and that I should pull-up the internet or turn on a television. I saw the second plane hit the second tower just a few seconds after I turned on the television.

I was standing at ground zero and in those buildings one week earlier (to the day) the day the planes hit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

"They just hit the Pentagon." I was at work and my wife

Sep 11, 2012, 3:18 PM

called to tell me a small plane had accidently flown into one of the Twin Towers. It wasn't until the 2nd plane hit that everyone started watching CNN at work.

I had a lot of work to do so I kept working. I heard the guy in the office next to me say "They just hit the Pentagon." Chills just went down my spine (again) as I was typing that.

I wondered (and still do) what kind of world my sons were going to grow up in....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basement of Sirrine Hall at Clemson***

Sep 11, 2012, 3:22 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Across the Hudson River in Jersey City about 1/4 mile away

Sep 11, 2012, 3:27 PM

luckily for me, had a standing Tuesday business meeting at Credit Suisse at 7WTC cancelled the Monday before.

Wow***

Sep 15, 2012, 10:55 AM

Sep 11, 2012, 3:32 PM

Junior year history class. I agree with the previous poster than was the day our generation truly grew up and lost our innocence of the world. I just remember going through the motions and everyone being in a fog for a few weeks after.

Re:

Sep 11, 2012, 3:34 PM

Asleep in my apartment at Jefferson Commons, now The Reserve, when the first plane hit, then my roommates woke me up and we watched the rest of the morning. Didn't go to class and couldn't turn the TV off. A surreal day. I unpacked my American flag from a box I hadn’t unpacked since moving in and had it flying from my porch that afternoon. God Bless America and all those who died that day and since.

Sep 11, 2012, 3:39 PM

I was a senior in high school and had been in a wreck the previous weekend. Was at the doctor having an MRI done on my shoulder when the first three planes hit and then visiting my grandmother in her hospital room when flight 93 crashed. Complete and utter disbelief.

Sep 11, 2012, 3:41 PM

U.S. Pacific Command for conference. Immediately went to 24/7 ops while over there. Getting back to D.C. was impossible. My life (personal, career, etc.) changed because of that event. Knowing some of the folks that lost their lives in the Pentagon made it even worse. Most of them were just kids. Makes me further appreciate the efforts that these kids (and their families) make and the prices that they pay that are totally transparent to us. But, what we get in return for their efforts is immeasurable. I always try to remember that when I see a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine in the airport or in travel and I always make it a point of saying hi to them, acknowledging them and showing that I appreciate everything that they have done for us. We should forever keep them in our thoughts and prayers. Sorry for the soapboxing. Go Tigers.

i was in English class

Sep 11, 2012, 3:46 PM

My senior year of high school. It kickstarted a chain of events which led me to join the US Army. Oops... moral of the story: go to college kids, leave the soldiering to the "educationally challenged", or play major, MAJOR catchup with your peers who already have a degree

wow, way to be an asshat.***

Sep 11, 2012, 3:53 PM

Re: wow, way to be an asshat.***

Sep 11, 2012, 4:05 PM

Mr. ot I think you are being way to nice to this d##che bag.

Re: i was in English class

Sep 11, 2012, 4:14 PM [ in reply to i was in English class ]

nice #####....what a f'n loser.

That's your story...not mine

Sep 11, 2012, 4:25 PM [ in reply to i was in English class ]

Since I got out of the Air Force, I make more than 90% of people in this country. I left Clemson and joined the Air Force after I couldn't pay for it myself anymore. Just about to finish my degree now. I wouldn't say it hindered me at all. Maybe you just didn't take advantage of your opportunities.

Sep 11, 2012, 3:53 PM

I was at work and passing thru the break room to get a cup of coffee. I asked what was going on and someone said a plane had struck one of the Twin Towers.Like everyone else, I thought a commuter plane was the cause. I chatted with a co-worker for a few minutes before heading back to my desk. As I turned to leave she said "Cat,here is is on replay"I thought to my self "how did an instant replay get on air this quickly?" As we all now know, it was no replay.I went back to my office and called Tigrjm76.He was also watching from his office in addition to chatting on Tigernet with his pals.
I work for a hotel chain reservation center. On a slow day we take as many as 60k calls. Within the next 5-10 minutes, the phones stopped ringing and stayed that way for almost an hour as Americans and the World watched these acts of cowardice unfold.When the phones did begin to ring again,they didn't stop for the next 24 hours.I will never forget the voices from that day - people desperately searching for a place to stay as flights were cancelled,people searching for loved ones in hotels in NYC and DC or the woman making a reservation who simply stated "my brother just died in the Towers - I need to come home."

I worked at a large airport at the time

Sep 11, 2012, 4:03 PM

we got word that all flights in America were being grounded immediately, and we should prepare for many unscheduled landings. All employees were called to aid the arriving passengers, 99% of them were landing at an airport in a city they were not scheduled to be landing at, and 99.9% of them had no idea what was going on (they were in the air away from the news). People were supposed to be in Chicago, or LA, or Dallas, or Miami, but here they were, 1000s of miles away with no way to get there.

So we spent the next 24 hours+ helping and comforting bewildered people from all over the USA to find hotel rooms, contact family, rent cars (that lasted about 1 hour before they were gone), and cope with the fact that they were stuck in a city they hadn't planned to be in for who knows how long (ended up being a week unless they found alternate transportation).

The tarmac (and part of one of the runways) was PACKED with aircraft from all over. The terminal building was evacuated 4 times that day when reports of an unauthorized aircraft flying nearby was reported (I remember one was a cropduster, who got an Air Force escort down). Everyone spilling out onto the tarmac, looking up, trying to figure out if this was truly the end "normalcy" forever.

The strangest thing I have ever experienced was walking through the usually packed airport terminal that week without a single soul around.

Sep 11, 2012, 4:08 PM

Eleven years ago I was at work in Manhattan on West 36th st., between 10th and 11th ave. My wife called right after the first plane hit, told me to turn on the news. Spent the next 45 minutes on the phone, still in work mode getting my job done, before everyone realized what was really going on. And a while later saw on the news the second plane hit. The tension then started to build. Lots of idiotic rumors starting to fly around about the building I was in, that it could also be a target.

Walked up to the roof of our building and saw the last tower go down from the top of our building, still feel the heavy weight of witnessing this event. Then spent a good deal of time on the phone. Everyone wanted me to get out of town, but by then bridges and tunnels were shut.

Great sense of patriotism and relief when we finally saw the first fighter jet cruise down the river later that morning.

Road the ferry across the Hudson around 4 pm later that day, everyone on board was very calm, very helpful to each other, but I know I had an empty hole in my chest whenever I looked down to the smoke.

When I got off the ferry in Hoboken, we walked through decontamination showers and firehoses, then dried off with paper towels they were handing out.

Went home and hugged my wife and kids, called everyone to tell them I was home.

Just got back from my honeymoon...

Sep 11, 2012, 4:20 PM

Got back late on 9/10 from Hawaii. Woke up to a phone call sometime in the 0600 hour. I was on the West coast and my Mom called me from the East coast and told me to turn on the TV. Just as I did I saw the second plane hit.

The Air Force base where I was stationed at the time went to FPCON Delta and we went into "chit just got real" mode.

I have chills right now thinking about it...

i make bookoo bucks dude, that's not the point i was trying to make

Sep 11, 2012, 4:44 PM

Just thought i would share my experience. I've shed enough blood, sweat, and tears in defense of this great nation to express myself. Nice touch resorting to name calling. That made my day guys. I can see calling out sissies who speak out against wars that they are too afraid to fight, but veterans earn that right.

Yep..you have earned it...

Sep 11, 2012, 4:48 PM

But don't expect people not to respond if in "expressing" yourself you mischaracterize the military as not good enough for people who are smarter than a rock (paraphrased).

You didn't speak out against wars. You insulted the people

Sep 11, 2012, 4:52 PM [ in reply to i make bookoo bucks dude, that's not the point i was trying to make ]

that fight them.

Sitting at my desk at work, in Ohio at the time

Sep 11, 2012, 4:51 PM

I overheard two people talking about a small private plane that apparently hit one of the two towers.

I got on the internet and CNN had a shot of the towers on the front page and it was obvious something bigger had hit. We had a TV in the small gym at work but it only got CBS for some reason, so a few of us went in there and watched a few minutes before the second plane hit. We obviously were captivated for awhile after that happened and went back and forth between our desks and the TV.

And, after seeing the second hit and seeing the replays

Sep 11, 2012, 4:53 PM

for some reason people STILL thought it was a small private plane and some of us were like "people look at the screen it was a full size airliner".......

And of course the rumors happening through the day, the one about the state dept.

Ft. Jackson - Active Duty...

Sep 11, 2012, 4:53 PM

nm

9th grade

Sep 11, 2012, 4:59 PM

IN my schools library. I remember my teacher saying "holy ####!!!" and everybody laughed. then we watched it and stopped laughing immediately. We had 5 people in that years senior class to drop out, take the GED and enlist in the army

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2012, 5:01 PM

Lightsey

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6th grade English class***

Sep 11, 2012, 5:15 PM

Sep 11, 2012, 5:19 PM

Was working in one of high rises in Charlotte. A co-worker came around to say that a plane had hit one of the Trade Center buildings. Went to the breakroom to see what the news stations were reporting and then saw the second plane hit. At that point, everyone was just stunned and many realized it involved no accident.

Another co-worker there said his father was a Fire Marshall at the Trade Center complex. Later he received a call from his family indicating his Dad had called his Mom and at one point said he was headed into the basement of one of the buildings to set up a command center. That was the last contact they had from him. As soon as he was able, the co-worker got a flight home to wait for further news with his family. William Wren's body was one of the last few recovered from the rubble.

An hour or so later, word came that all employees were to leave the downtown area and we along with just about all others in Charlotte proper evacuated and went home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I was in the air flying home from Ohio.

Sep 11, 2012, 6:20 PM

It was a pretty freaky experience. I am a private pilot and I was flying a Cessna 172 from Columbus Ohio to South Carolina. I was on an IFR plan and a controller from Washington Center told me that a plane had hit the world trade center. I thought, "that's crazy the weather was perfect. Somebody must have made a very big mistake.". Later, they told me to divert to Winston-Salem North Carolina. When I asked why, they told me that another plane had hit the second tower and that the Pentagon had been bombed. NORAD had control of the airspace and all planes were told to land immediately. Without having any news source, I thought the country was going to war. I started looking for contrails in the sky thinking that we were getting ready to fire missiles. I ended up having to watch the story on TV at the local FBO on the airport. The next day I rented a car and drove home.

Junior year of college. Listening to radio getting ready for

Sep 15, 2012, 10:51 AM

Class. Never forget one guy in my class who was from NYC. Couldn't get in touch with his mother and he had no clue if she was safe. Luckily she was safe but that was a terrible terrible day!

Also, I was freaking out because my mom was in the airport

Sep 15, 2012, 10:54 AM

At Ohio and we couldn't reach her eve had no clue if she was on a plane or not. She had to rent a car and drive home. I think we all hugged our families a little tighter that night.

I was at work....Had just went on my 1st break.

Sep 15, 2012, 11:29 AM

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic