Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I hate to feed the beast but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 519

I hate to feed the beast but

Dec 16, 2020, 12:27 PM

some of our elected leaders in Congress are actually considering trying to thwart the Electoral College and the will of the American people.

Please keep track of those who would stoop to this power grab. They are NOT friends of American democracy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/no-biden-hasn-t-won-yet-one-more-nightmare-scenario/ar-BB1bYFnp?li=BBorjTa

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Relax.

Dec 16, 2020, 12:33 PM

It will never get that far.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are three main Constitutional steps

Dec 16, 2020, 12:34 PM

Starting with the most impactful, and ending with the most ceremonial.

1. States appoint their Electors - Complete
2. Electors vote for President and Vice President - Complete
3. Congress counts the vote - Not yet complete

In the final step, it is just a count of the vote that has already occurred. There is no mechanism for altering the number of votes at that time.

Sure there is, Congress could invalidate the electors.

Dec 16, 2020, 12:37 PM

But it won't happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where is that in Article II or the 12th Amendment?

Dec 16, 2020, 12:39 PM

I don't see it.

Re: Where is that in Article II or the 12th Amendment?

Dec 16, 2020, 12:40 PM

"The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;-The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed"

It's just a count. No evaluation of whether the votes are valid, or whatever.

Re: Where is that in Article II or the 12th Amendment?

Dec 16, 2020, 12:43 PM

Presumably someone confirms that what they're counting are actually the valid votes, right?

Or can we prank Congress with some phony ballots because the Constitution requires them to count whatever papers show up in the room?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

No, the Constitution does not say they open up

Dec 16, 2020, 12:45 PM

whatever papers show up in the room. The will open up: "which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate"

OK, so someone has to confirm that they've received the

Dec 16, 2020, 12:51 PM

right lists. Again, in case we (or someone else) decides to prank them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Federal Law - Electoral Count Act of 1887***

Dec 16, 2020, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Where is that in Article II or the 12th Amendment? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Touche. I read it:

Dec 16, 2020, 12:54 PM

They can only object if they don't think the electoral votes are the real ones. That's obviously not applicable to this case. That's more what spooneye said, like if there was an envelope that came from some other place, not from the actual electors.

"those votes, and those only, shall be counted which shall have been regularly given by the electors who are shown by the determination mentioned in section 5 of this title to have been appointed"

I agree that there does not appear to be any reasonable

Dec 16, 2020, 1:01 PM

means to execute it, and the law would be subject to constitutional challenge in the Supreme Court. But can we currently assume and expect the Vice President, Senators, and Representatives to act based upon what is correct and not on partisan political pressure? I'd hope not and would expect that the majority would proceed honorably and with integrity.

Re: There are three main Constitutional steps

Dec 16, 2020, 4:40 PM [ in reply to There are three main Constitutional steps ]

Prodigal,

If you read the article it clearly lays out how the process might go south.

"By law, the House and Senate meet together on Jan. 6, and if any state's ballots are challenged by one member of the House and Senate, the chambers must meet separately and vote on the challenge. Given that 126 members of Congress signed on to the Texas lawsuit to overturn Joe Biden's victory, and that many GOP senators have not accepted Biden as the president-elect, some states are going to be challenged."

After that, a significant delay could throw the election into the house and the Senate.

I am NOT saying this is likely, but the mechanism is there and I will not be surprised by challenged EC votes in both houses.

Don't forget the insurrection act.

Dec 16, 2020, 12:35 PM

Declaring martial law and installing Trump as a dictator is the best way to own libtards.

Re: I hate to feed the beast but

Dec 16, 2020, 6:02 PM

Let me preface by saying that, as a Constitutional conservative, I believe that the EC vote on Monday decided the Presidential election. It's done.

Any criminal activity found during ongoing investigations of this election should be fully prosecuted without any effect on the outcome unless a smoking gun is found--and that ain't gonna happen.

But what I'm not hearing from the legacy media: several states selected two sets of voters, both a D set and an R set, so technically both Biden and Trump received 270+ EVs to become President. It's just that right now, the D voters are presumed to be official.

This will allow the ongoing investigations into the irregularities from Dominion voting machines and bureaucratic non-transparency to continue with a possible Constitutional conclusion of Congress choosing to select the R electors if substantive vote-switching is found in these states.

This is NOT unprecedented. In 1960, Hawai'i voted for R Richard Nixon, but chose 2 sets of electors; when the EVs were cast in January, the D electors were the ones allowed to cast the state's votes for Kennedy.

I haven't done the research into what created that controversy in 1960.

The lazy legacy media is trying to turn outspoken Constitutional Republicans into boogeymen in order to perpetuate their marginalization.

We continue to talk past each other without hearing what each other's complaints really are.

Replies: 14
| visibility 519
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic