Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where is Danny?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Where is Danny?

Jan 14, 2017, 7:50 AM

Dabo and company earned this championship, and there is a lot of credit to go round for those who laid pieces of the foundation, but Danny is the one who showed us Clemson could be a program.

As much as I hope he is enjoying this and getting a bit of a nod, can't you imagine how much of a relief it will be to him now that someone else has brought the trophy home? I never thought about it until just now, but being Danny Ford could not have been an easy job these last couple of decades. Still, he is a major part of who we are and will be for a long time to come. I hope he is enjoying this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where is Danny?

Jan 14, 2017, 8:08 AM

Saw Danny at lunch at Dyars restaurant yesterday at lunch- lots of people congratulating him on HOF entrance, getting autographs and pictures of him with their grandchildren. He was in his element and seemed pleased with the attention. Hope he is in parade- he would be a hit!

Let's thank Coach Heisman for the forward pass rule change***

Jan 14, 2017, 8:43 PM

He probably is enjoying it, but he would probably

Jan 14, 2017, 8:11 AM

want the spotlight to be on the teram and Dabo and not him. I am guessing he would probably prefer not to be part of the festivities.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^^This***

Jan 14, 2017, 7:05 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't know. don't care. frank howard is the guy

Jan 14, 2017, 8:20 AM

who showed that Clemson could be a relevant program. Danny won a national championship almost 40 years ago. I'm happy to see him in interviews, but I could not care less about what he is up to.

Re: don't know. don't care. frank howard is the guy

Jan 14, 2017, 10:44 AM

No way you can be a Clemson fan and type those words.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2017, 6:57 PM

You are correct about that. No Clemson Gentleman with that comment.

Jan 14, 2017, 9:04 PM

agree!

Jan 14, 2017, 11:39 AM [ in reply to don't know. don't care. frank howard is the guy ]

Your post is disrespectful short-sighted and stupid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2017, 3:36 PM [ in reply to don't know. don't care. frank howard is the guy ]

no "sane" tiger says #### that dumb

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jan 14, 2017, 6:47 PM [ in reply to don't know. don't care. frank howard is the guy ]

You sir.... Suck!

Don't forget Charlie Pell stocked the shelf for the 81 team

Jan 14, 2017, 10:47 AM

Charlie knew how to recruit. Also knee how to get teams put on probation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't forget Charlie Pell stocked the shelf for the 81 team

Jan 14, 2017, 11:34 AM

Also was all for "Charlie". Told Clemson he was staying when he had already accepted Florida job. Stabbed VT coach in back to get that job. No fan of Charlie.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is no time to dig up dead bodies.***

Jan 14, 2017, 11:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2017, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Don't forget Charlie Pell stocked the shelf for the 81 team ]

Red Parker was the one who recruited Steve Fuller and all the receivers and right ends that Pell had . When it was it was about time for them to leave he got out of town .

Jan 14, 2017, 12:23 PM

Correct. Red Parker's team won the natty. He had us loaded.

Please get your facts straight...

Jan 14, 2017, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Don't forget Charlie Pell stocked the shelf for the 81 team ]

The starting 24 for 1981 featured:

Fr 1
So 3
Jr 9
Sr 11

The 2nd line of depth chart was:

So 10
Jr 11
Sr 1

Only the Seniors would have been signed under Charlie Pell's regime.

Re: Please get your facts straight...

Jan 14, 2017, 3:19 PM

I stated an opinion not fact.

Fact of the matter I was a Gator fan before becoming a Clemson fan. Pell could recruit like a crazy man which is fact. He so did it breaking the rules which is fact.

I'm giving credit to him for the 78 and 79 classes (Parker gets the 77 class). Pell resigned Dec 78 so the Freshman that did sign in Feb 79 had been recruited by Pell so I'm choosing to lump those under Pell's contribution to the roster. As a result, I'm including the Jr's as well in my thinking. Not sure who redshirted and who didn't. So looking at your numbers it looks like Pell may have had more of an influence than I thought.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.clemsontigers.com/fls/28500/old_site/pdf/m-footbl/1981roster.pdf%3FDB_OEM_ID%3D28500&ved=0ahUKEwivobbruMLRAhWEjVQKHcvUCt8QFggsMAE&usg=AFQjCNFZBn886vF_RqIIV3mjNPfx3BOA_Q&sig2=M9SUXJRLDr9HJkHAMLUhew

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if Pell was responsible for the 79 class

Jan 14, 2017, 3:42 PM

then why didn't they leave too?

Most of those guys were not recruited by Pell

but were recruited instead by the assistants. Maybe there was a bagman in there...

Everyone always wants to cheapen what Danny accomplished. It's very sad really;

because there were/are a lot of truly bad people (and coaches) in this world

but we always want to tear down the slightly imperfect instead.

makes us feel good about ourselves, now doesn't it?

Re: if Pell was responsible for the 79 class

Jan 14, 2017, 3:59 PM

With players like Fuller Lester brown Jerry Butler Dwight Clark all Parker guy's he's the guy that jump started Pell's career they were rumors he threw red under the bus to get that job .

Re: if Pell was responsible for the 79 class

Jan 14, 2017, 6:39 PM [ in reply to if Pell was responsible for the 79 class ]

I'm not tearing down anyone. How did I lessen Ford's accomplishments? And my original response was tongue and cheek. I was reading good an article talking about our 1981 team and the turmoil that had occurred a few years earlier. I only responded to you directly because I was told to get my facts straight.

I was a student at Clemson when Ford was at Clemson. Spoke to the man (ever so briefly) at several functions when I was a student. Stood outside and protested with the "mob" outside of Max's house when he was fired.

I'm not taking anything away from Danny. Danny was great and is great for Clemson and left a legacy that has endured.

And Charlie Pell was a h3lluva recruiter and probation creator.

I don't tear coaches or players down.

Jan 14, 2017, 2:42 PM

Danny is the OG and doesn't need to insert himself in this teams celebration. It wasn't just a national championship, the 80's were a decade of Clemson dominance.

Does anyone remember The Sneer he unleashed on national tv, when the fl st mascot threw a flaming spear at his feet?

Jan 14, 2017, 6:49 PM

Did you ever think Dabo would only need 7 wins to match Danny at 96 this little bit into his tenure?

Jan 14, 2017, 7:04 PM

It would be great to get a picture of them together with the National Championship trophies.

Back to Frank Howard

Jan 14, 2017, 7:45 PM

Prior to the late '60s, it was Frank Howard who made Clemson believe in ourselves. Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, undefeated season, "Legend" on his door. He deserves a lot of respect from you whippersnappers.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic