Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Look Idiots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

Look Idiots

Feb 17, 2020, 5:03 PM

For anyone who knows anything about CU basketball before the season started NO ONE expected this team to have any kind of chance at a winning record and the NIT. For us to be having this conversation is a testimony that this is most likely to be BB's best coaching job. To even suggest that he should be replaced this year ( even if we don't win another game ) is ludicrous !

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look Idiots

Feb 17, 2020, 5:05 PM

I agree with you old timer. Go Tigers

You forgot "No offense" . . . .***

Feb 17, 2020, 5:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 17, 2020, 5:07 PM

I thought we had a chance with Sims, Mack, and Newman but Trapp being out really hurt us early on.

Feb 17, 2020, 5:12 PM

We're understandably being harsh critics and overly reactive fans during bad stretches in our other sports because we cannot help but compare these failures ( however mild ) to the elevated and consistent successes supplied by our football program .
I theorized this last night while reading an article on something completely unrelated .

Right now I'm eating a cookie .
Later I will rejoin the group and see if things haven't been settled on the matter .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 17, 2020, 10:25 PM

Let's focus on what's important here: What kind of cookie? Store bought or home made?

Feb 18, 2020, 6:25 AM

They were brought onboard by our chief engineer , he purchased them from a bakery in his Massachusetts home town .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Young posters can learn from this

Feb 18, 2020, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Look Idiots ]

Nothing is more important than a good cookie

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2020, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Look Idiots ]

Dang , dug . You mean you don’t have a chef below deck and pretty , little deck hands to serve you cookies ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look Idiots- just looked at preseason

Feb 17, 2020, 5:20 PM

predictions today. We were projected 11th and UNC #2. Most of the rest were pretty accurate. We can probably finish a little higher than that. If we could have clicked a little better early it would have been better but the trapp injury impacted that probably. We were .500 in conf last year. Not one of Brads better jobs but if we get to that this year it probably would be good considering the youth and injuries

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not this yr that is the problem imo

Feb 17, 2020, 5:23 PM

It's a cumulation of all the bad years combined. Even with 2 great losses, we're still barely above .500.

Every year we hear, did you really expect us to be good?

I think most are begging to care about basketball, but are given no reason to be excit d.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not this yr that is the problem imo

Feb 17, 2020, 9:37 PM

You’ve got 13 great young men to get excited about, but yet you’re “given no reason” to get excited. Some fan.

That’s what the OP is saying: Clemson Basketball fans are spoiled by our success in other sports. All they care about are green Ws on the schedule. They don’t care how we got them or who earned them.

I looked***

Feb 17, 2020, 5:28 PM

Thumbs Up for the subject line alone***

Feb 17, 2020, 5:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thumbs Up for the subject line alone***

Feb 18, 2020, 8:03 AM

Yep ... and I see that over 2000 of us idiots read the post !! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Good plan. Let's just forget about the previous nine years***

Feb 17, 2020, 5:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Good plan. Let's just forget about the previous nine years***

Feb 17, 2020, 9:47 PM

Alex Hemenway’s has been on scholarship for 9 years?

Clyde Trapp? Aamir Sims?

How tall was Trey when he enrolled here 9 years ago?

Wow. Who knew this team had disappointed you so often?

Amazing how you guys think you have an excuse to be apathetic toward this team because the coach disappointed you sometime in your past. And please don’t pretend he has let you down for 9 years in a row. You’re implying that you would have been excited if not for the coach, when we both know you haven’t wanted to be excited for a long time.

Fans are willing to work at being fans. If you’re not, you’re a bandwagon rider.

I am a fan and hope for the best, but yeah, we had

Feb 18, 2020, 7:22 PM

scholarship players all those years. We even had a group of core, experienced scholarship players come a sweet 16 appearance only to lose in game 2 of the NIT.

If you can't realize how close we were to another NCAA

Feb 18, 2020, 7:45 PM

trip last year, then I don't know what to tell you.

We had our starting PG playing on a bad knee all year. He really shouldn't have been playing on it.

We had about 5-6 games with heartbreaking losses. If a couple of our shots go in, or a couple of the other teams' shots don't, we would absolutely have been in the tournament.

It's hard to be mad at Brownell for last year, given the fact that our NET of 35 should've gotten us in based on the NCAA's insistence that NET was the new RPI. We won 20 games and went .500 in the ACC.

I realize you will probably say that we didn't make the NCAAs last year and that's all that matters. But if you are really looking at things from the perspective of a Clemson fan that supports our coaches and players, you will be able to see that last year's team was a good one with a lot of bad luck.

It's not like last year's team fell way short of expectations. We were right there, very close to having an NCAA berth again and people not being so down on Brownell (at least for a few months).

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'm sorry, but the "heartbreaking losses" have been common theme

Feb 18, 2020, 8:06 PM

through the years. That EXCUSE holds no substance. We often fail to execute when most needed, that's the real reason behind the long list of close losses. Please spare me the "bad luck" angle. There are simply far too many instances of close losses to say its sheer luck, or lack thereof. I'm a fan and support Clemson, but there is no way you can excuse away not taking that experienced team back to the NCAAs. They DID NOT meet expectations, no its, ands, or buts about it. No offense, but you simply have excuses for EVERY SINGLE negative bullet point over 10 years, and you refuse to look at the big picture. 10 years is more than enough time to gauge a program and its direction. You yourself admitted you wouldn't be against a change, so somewhere deep down you see the broken record over 10 years. I'm open to seeing how the season ends, but i will sing the same "10 years is enough" tune if we see more of the same ol inconsistency. We need to make a post season tournament and make a run. Any coach 10 years in should have this expectation.

that logic is flawed

Dec 12, 2020, 8:36 PM

We consistently finish above preseason expectations Is it a successful season if we are predicted 11th but finish 8th?

Maybe this year, but what if it’s every year?

Feb 17, 2020, 6:04 PM

Well idiot, the only way you can use that reasoning is if you were one of the ones that thought last year may have been one of BB's worse coaching jobs. I thought when Clemson decided to keep Brownell because everyone thought him being here was the hinges that the Zion door swung on was a huge mistake. When you start keeping guys not on credentials but the hope of bringing in any prospect then you have already lost. Yes Brownell has done some things since then but hasn't turned the corner and he definitely hasn't built on the limited success he's had. I do consider things like Nike paying players to push them to certain schools proven from the trial of Avenatti (sp) is a huge problem for Clemson and is why crooked AAU coaches in this state have pushed their superstars out of state. Don't get me started on crooked coaches like Coach K that make it even worse. Don't worry though they investigated themselves and they found that they are squeaky clean, wink wink. I digress. Also don't give me the history line because no one anywhere has ever done anything until they have. I don't want to be good I want to be a power in every sport and blaming everything but your will to accomplish that goal is the only reason one will never attain that goal. I don't care if we have to hire 15 coaches over the next 3 years I want to win and I don't want to stop until we do. So you can keep playing the this game of being good twice in a 10 year period but I'm moving on to wanting be good every year.

Feb 18, 2020, 11:33 AM

So are you saying you would have fired him after 2016-17 or after Zion committed and signed with Duke?

I'm not looking.***

Feb 17, 2020, 6:23 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Back at you IDIOT (your words)

Feb 17, 2020, 6:24 PM

Clemson was picked 11th in the ACC pre-season? That is all I need to hear. If Brownell's recruits are rated 11th in the ACC and overperform and finish 9th or 10th, it is still time to move on. Ten years on the job, and no one in the country has an interest in playing on Brownell's team? That's the take-away.

I have refrained from commenting on basketball this year, but no one being interested in playing for Clemson is NOT GOOD IDIOT. Yes, I underatand two solid recruits want to play for Clemson next year. Clemson. Not Brownell. Time to move on.

Note: I have not name-called in years. For this post, I will make an exception based on oldschool57's self-propagating use of IDIOT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back at you IDIOT (your words)

Feb 18, 2020, 11:46 AM

So 4-star point guard Al-Amir Dawes, who CHOSE to play for Brownell at Clemson over offers from UConn, St. John's, Seton Hall and Providence, is no one?

How about 4-star shooting guard Chase Hunter? He CHOSE to play for Brownell at Clemson over offers from Virginia, Mississippi State, Georgia, Auburn, Oklahoma and DePaul. Is he no one?

How about transfer point guard Nick Honor, who was an all-conference performer as a freshman at Fordham? He chose to play for Brownell at Clemson after previously having offers from Dayton and Memphis. Is he no one?

Have you interviewed 4-star forwards PJ Hall and Olivier-Maxence Prosper to find out that their choice had NOTHING to do with the coach they would eventually play for?

Where...?

Feb 17, 2020, 6:28 PM

Getting outta here before they see me.

This is year 10, idiot. Care to explain why his program

Feb 17, 2020, 8:01 PM

is in such disarray? I’ll wait.

Re: This is year 10, idiot. Care to explain why his program

Feb 18, 2020, 5:17 AM

Disarray? Not meeting expectations is more accurate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2020, 9:53 PM

So we’re not supposed to be disappointed in this season because in our coaches 10th season we were supposed to suck anyway?

Feb 18, 2020, 7:30 AM

Great point I thought we would be lucky to get double digit wins considering what we had coming back.

I said 12-15

Feb 18, 2020, 7:54 AM

We're still in that range

Feb 18, 2020, 7:31 AM

Yes, moron?

Feb 18, 2020, 8:21 AM

So, what’s your take on the pregame music? Same?

Feb 18, 2020, 9:22 AM
oxygen.jpg(88.6 K)

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Feb 18, 2020, 10:41 AM

TU for the classic jpeg!

Re: Love the meme.

Feb 18, 2020, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Look Idiots ]

Foghorn was a favorite.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2020, 10:45 AM

With respect, in the 10th year of an ACC coach, being excited about the possibility of only a 'winning season' and an appearance in the NIT is exactly how low expectations have become.

No offense to you or BB personally, but Clemson deserves better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2020, 11:41 AM

Feb 18, 2020, 12:47 PM

That was definitely targeting! Guess he won't be with the flock next week.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 10:40 PM

But SEC refs would only call that as a late hit.

Feb 20, 2020, 2:01 AM

From a person who knows very little of the current basketball program except what you guys state on here, does the Clemson Athletic Department not have metrics for evaluating coaches? What about KPI's? Take the emotional aspect out of the equation for purposes of impartial evaluation. Does the coach meet the standards set by the AD and the University? The excuse that Clemson is a Football School and not a Basketball school so it is difficult to recruit is not acceptable. Set the bar higher. Do not stop striving for excellence and do not settle for mediocracy.

Feb 20, 2020, 5:35 PM

Are you from the Atchley era? The Tiger newspaper staff had a field day with his use of "mediocracy" and I still think of their defining the term as "leadership by the mediocre."

Maybe be germans but....

Feb 20, 2020, 5:50 AM

FIRE BROWNELL!!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you mad bro?***

Feb 20, 2020, 5:43 PM

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic