Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When this is over should we abolish speed limits?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

When this is over should we abolish speed limits?

Apr 9, 2020, 6:55 AM

Theoretically social distancing is very much like the speed limit, a government driven rule that is intended to saves lives but that literally slows our economy and limits your freedom

The question: When we return to “normal“ should we consider changing restrictions on all government rules that have been implemented with the intent of saving lives (i.e. the speed limit) or are we happy that they have some level of control?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

isn’t that true of all laws?***

Apr 9, 2020, 7:01 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Took ONE Philosophy course at CU, pondered this question

Apr 9, 2020, 8:34 AM

whike smoking weed and having a few beers. Just got me confused.

Sobered up and went back to Engineering homework. Tried same studying approach a few semesters later for ChE Thermo 2. Didn’t work again. Still confused today?

You have been here long enough . . .

Apr 9, 2020, 4:11 PM

to know the Roolz . . . Why can't folks follow simple roolz?!!!

I've got you covered this time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely, just don't ask us to think of someone other than ourselves***

Apr 9, 2020, 7:19 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Absolutely, just don't ask us to think of someone other than ourselves***

Apr 9, 2020, 3:44 PM

I read all the posts which of course never fail to entertain! My point to you is "Guess they told you." Are you and people like you at ALL capable of looking at an issue from both perspectives? You automatically lose the argument when you don't.

Re: When this is over should we abolish speed limits?

Apr 9, 2020, 7:39 AM

I would agree if I still had my 1969 Pontiac GTO but somehow driving 125 mph in a 35 mph zone sure eats up a lot of gas.

Apr 9, 2020, 7:45 AM

My old '67 GTO only got 5-6 MPG, and I had that thing when gas prices soared in the '70's and you had to wait in long lines to get gas. But yeah, it would run. Of course, I had to buy a bicycle to ride to work 'cause I could not afford gas.

Apr 9, 2020, 8:01 AM

Given the technological advances of automobiles and safety features such as antilock brakes a reasonable person would support increasing the speed limit by 10-15 mph on interstates and 5 mph in city traffic.

BTW if you really want to be safe we would install a feature which requires two hands on the wheel at all times or an alarm goes off plus everyone in the car must wear a motorcycle style helmet since most deaths involve head injury.

The reality is speed limits are about control and revenue.

If King_whenever the engine stated, all cell phones disabled

Apr 9, 2020, 8:28 AM

From outside communication.

We have speed limits? Do tell..................***

Apr 9, 2020, 8:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2020, 8:54 AM

I would say once this is over there will be a massive ticket writing campaign to recoup lost revenue at every level of enforcement - City cop, county sheriff and state po po.

I know two people who got pulled over yesterday and asked

Apr 9, 2020, 8:57 AM

what "essential business" they were doing. No other infractions (no tickets written).

Why aren't speeding tickets being handed out like candy?

Apr 9, 2020, 9:06 AM

The roads are wide open, but there are always drivers who will blow your doors off. Now, not later, is the time to enforce the safer habits...not that it's really the goal. So...revert to the real goal while conditions are stellar...collect speeding fines. Revenue matters! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then a proper response "Going to service your mother"

Apr 9, 2020, 10:06 AM [ in reply to I know two people who got pulled over yesterday and asked ]

should be made to the officer. We can see how far freedom of speech goes but I do suggest recording :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cops are probably using these times as a cover to pull

Apr 9, 2020, 1:05 PM [ in reply to I know two people who got pulled over yesterday and asked ]

over Hawt Wimmins. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True in both cases referenced above***

Apr 9, 2020, 1:29 PM

Apr 9, 2020, 9:03 AM

That's an interesting question.

The basis of our legal system is one person's rights stop where another person's rights begin. So if you're the only person on the road and you're not putting anyone else at risk, then by all means you should be allowed to be as stupid as you want to be. It may even work out into a bonus, that is to say keeping emergency responders and funeral home workers gainfully employed.

Apr 9, 2020, 3:24 PM

To make this analagous to the current situation the speed limit would need to be 10mph and anyone who suggested it needed to be higher would be called a greedy, murdering, Trumper who only cared about their 401k.

Apr 9, 2020, 3:34 PM

The opposite will happen, in the next 20 years your gps will control the speed in which your vehicle travels and will most likely be autonomous

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic