Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When does Terry Don Philips get put in the ROH?....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,168

When does Terry Don Philips get put in the ROH?....

Jan 13, 2019, 9:41 AM

If not there, how do we recognize the man who saw greatness before 90% of our fanbase had any clue? Who went all in on a position coach who was in real estate 2 years prior, and was part of a failed coaching staff. How do we recognize the man who was given a D+ By ESPN for his 2009 coaching hire in Swinney, when coaches like Ralph friedgen, will muschamp, Charlie Weiss, Gary Patterson, etc... were available?

How do we leave a permanent level of thanks to a man who could’ve satisfied a fracture fanbase at the time by making a sexy hire from outside the program, but went with his own convictions in 2008, and stuck with them in 2010 despite a lot of heat from us fans who were clamoring for a change.

Before anybody without a personal relationship with Coach Swinney chimes in stating that they new Dabo would do this from the day he was hired. Anyways Thank you TDP For seeing what I could not! Because of you we have 2 CFP championships and are staring at many more to come.

This was the national perception at the time:

ESPN “Coaching hires have been a laugh riot this holiday season Dec 18, 2008.

Here in this holiday season, it's time to stop and give thanks for the bountiful gifts sports supplies us.

Specifically, lift a mug of eggnog to college football, which is putting the finishing touches on a run of coaching hires that have been a laugh riot. These college administrators, they kill me. Now that Tina Fey has shelved her Sarah Palin impersonation for the time being, where else can you get comedic quality like this?

Clemson. The hire: Swinney, who was recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach until Tommy Bowden was whacked in midseason. The grade: D-plus.
Swinney was part and parcel of a failed season, but somehow got a promotion out of the deal. Who knew that beating Duke and Virginia could lead to such ample rewards? Clemson fans loved the fact that the Tigers closed the regular season by beating rival South Carolina. But hey, Bowden beat the Gamecocks seven times in nine tries and look where that got him. Swinney has the same thing going for him that Sarkisian has at Washington: the in-conference competition in the ACC isn't that stiff.

-Pat Forde
Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy Bowden deserves a lot of credit as well.***

Jan 13, 2019, 9:54 AM

Not Ring of Honor...but a lot of gratitude. People still like to trash Bowden, and I just don’t get it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with your unpopular opinion +1***

Jan 13, 2019, 9:59 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When does Terry Don Philips get put in the ROH?....

Jan 13, 2019, 10:17 AM

Something tells me the ROH is going to run out of space in the next decade or so... a good problem to have.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,168
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic