Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When a school has players sit out a bowl game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

When a school has players sit out a bowl game

Dec 18, 2019, 8:34 PM

its pretty sh!tty on their part. I’m sure NFL scouts note that selfish tendency.f

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When a school has players sit out a bowl game

Dec 18, 2019, 8:39 PM

I hate it as much as anyone ... think NCAA should make them pay back a portion of their scholarship.

NFL does not care. All they want to do is draft a player that is not injured ... and the players don’t want to lose out on millions due to an injury.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, quick question for you.

Dec 19, 2019, 1:41 PM

Who do you think scholarship money ends up going to?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it was Tom Luginbill

Dec 18, 2019, 8:45 PM

who brought up a good point on players sitting out of bowls because they are afraid of injury. The risk of "career ending" injury is really not that likely to happen.Which makes sense. He threw out a percentage, but I don't know if he treated it as a fact or just pulled it out of the air. Of course if you don't play your risk is zero, so there is that argument as well.

Re: I think it was Tom Luginbill

Dec 18, 2019, 9:19 PM

I thought there was some cheap insurance available for these superstar wannabees.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Insurance? They will pay a fraction if you never play again***

Dec 19, 2019, 1:14 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it was Tom Luginbill

Dec 19, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to I think it was Tom Luginbill ]

Your chance of getting hurt in a bowl game are less than getting hurt in your first pre-season game in the NFL.

So you're saying

Dec 19, 2019, 10:07 AM

There's a chance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

So you're saying

Dec 19, 2019, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: I think it was Tom Luginbill ]

There's a chance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

but you have a big fat signing bonus

Dec 19, 2019, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I think it was Tom Luginbill ]

In the bank

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let me make this easy, which one do you get paid for?***

Dec 19, 2019, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I think it was Tom Luginbill ]

Don't tell Jake Butt, he won the Mackey and was

Dec 19, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to I think it was Tom Luginbill ]

projected as a Top 50 pick, went in the 5th after he tore up his knee in the Orange Bowl, has never been the same

Re: Don't tell Jake Butt, he won the Mackey and was

Dec 19, 2019, 3:45 PM

CM Shack said:

projected as a Top 50 pick, went in the 5th after he tore up his knee in the Orange Bowl, has never been the same

To be fair, Butt tore a second ACL during the 2018 season. I think he’s still struggling to recover from that injury so has only played in a few NFL games. However, this was an especially frustrating situation because I think he tore the ACL in the bowl right near the end of the game.

According to Stephania Bell, since 2014, the majority of

Dec 19, 2019, 4:36 PM

people drafted who had torn knee ligaments would tear a second knee...I can't remember the exact percentage, but it was over 60%

It also reflects the value of a non playoff bowl game. Especially for

Dec 18, 2019, 8:45 PM

People who expected to be there. They don’t value the bowl game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2019, 8:48 PM

Nah...the players decide and the NFL respects it and has no problem with it. Those bowls are meaningless.

Dec 19, 2019, 9:33 AM

1. The NFL doesn't care if a player sits out.
2. With the advent of the CFP, most bowls are totally irrelevant. While I personally believe a player should be committed to his team mates, I no longer hold sitting out against them either. It's a personal decision.
3. It's time to acknowledge that bowl games are nothing more than a product to fill a TV time slot. The games are meaningless. They are poorly attended and the match ups are mostly what I'd expect to see in early September.

If they want to make more of the bowl games relevant again, they need to more the CFP until AFTER the early January games are played. Make the Sugar, Peach, Fiesta, Cotton, Rose and Orange Bowl games a competitive match up which impacts the path to be selected for the final 4 slots. That's 12 teams that will care about their bowl game.

Most bowl games became irrelevant during BCS

Dec 19, 2019, 10:08 AM

Before then you needed that game to influence voters.

A..I don't have any problems with it

Dec 19, 2019, 10:05 AM

B. The nfl doesn't have any problem with it

Dec 19, 2019, 10:59 AM

If you are in a non-playoff bowl game, the game is for the fans and for the players that will be playing next year to get reps and game experience.

I am all for the players leaving for the nfl sitting if they want and letting next years starters get a game as starters to jump start next season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think players are letting their coaches and team down if....

Dec 19, 2019, 6:45 PM

they decide not to play because they are likely the best player on the team. I understand the reasoning but what if that player is the QB? That could almost guarantee a loss! And what if a the coach is on the hot seat and a win over a quality opponent could potentially save the coaches and staff their jobs but a loss could cost many jobs.

But that said, I think all draftable players with grades 1-7rds should have an insurance policy for that bowl game. Policy increases with each round based on NFL grades. This cures all the excuses.

Dec 19, 2019, 12:42 PM

Does anyone remember a player being severely injured in a bowl game that kept him out for the up coming season college or NFL?? The few players that have sat out of a BG’s most likely already have an agent. Maybe not by signed contract but by a verbal agreement. Which could be considered a binding contract.

If you are a player who is borderline 1st round or 2nd round, I would think it would be to your advantage to play. As Possible NFL prospect as a player you could move up a few spots by playing and having a great game. If you don’t shine in the BG I don’t think it hurts your stock to much.

IMO if a player sits out of a BG it should make his scholarship null and void. If he attends the BG he should have to cover 100% of all his expenses including travel. He should not receive any gifts given to the players. This is why I agree with a Dabo by not giving Kelly Bryant his NC ring. He entered the transfer portal the year before in 2018. The NC game was played the next year (January 2019). Based on the above KB was no longer a part of Clemson’s football team.

Dec 19, 2019, 5:49 PM

I don't know... If I've got millions on the line and it's up to me to take care of my family, I can definitely understand why a player wouldn't want to take the risk.

It sucks when it's someone on a team you root for sits out, but its a business too, for both sides. Dozens of coaches do this every year, that's pretty much accepted at this point.

Most of the time there are no serious injuries, but then there are players like Jaylon Smith who could have lost everything.

Maybe the school should pony up for insurance for all of their departing players with round 1-4 grades? They can certainly absorb the cost. Heck, make the NCAA and TV/sponsor throw into a pool along with the schools.

Remember the coots bowl game last year

Dec 19, 2019, 1:05 PM

The coots best player sat out and their team couldn't score against UVA, lol. He proved how valuable a player he was by NOT playing and showing how pathetic the coots were without him.

Dec 19, 2019, 1:29 PM

Saban encouraged them to.

It's not just about injury. It's about draft status prep.***

Dec 19, 2019, 1:32 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure it has had any impact on draft status of

Dec 19, 2019, 1:40 PM

anybody yet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2019, 2:08 PM

What if a person decided to never play football to avoid an injury.? Would this improve his chances of being drafted by a pro team since he has no record of an injury?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent point Joe ... a bit of a stretch, but I can see

Dec 19, 2019, 3:16 PM

where you are headed.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Want To Agree.......... BUT

Dec 19, 2019, 6:04 PM

I want to agree with the notion of the player being selfish. But, I won't be fully on board with that until "we call the coaches selfish" who get new jobs. Most of them want to get started at their new school. They have bled with, sweated with, gone through with, won and lost, ups and down with an school only to jump ship during the bowl game! Nobody gets upset and understands "seemingly" when they do it. Most aren't class acts like our Jeff Scott is.
He is "finishing". Which is exactly what we ask of the players.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic