Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's the dumbest shot or move you've ever pulled in golf?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

What's the dumbest shot or move you've ever pulled in golf?

Oct 26, 2020, 8:26 AM

Just finished an annual tourney this weekend where a lot of stupid stuff goes down, and I've had my share of dumb moves.

What's the dumbest thing you've personally ever hit or done on a course?

Years ago, teeing off on a course in Greenville, I shanked my first shot toward the driving range area. I hit my breakfast ball and went to go retrieve my first shot was my friends teed up. It had rained the night before, and there was a railroad tie fence next to the tee box. I decided I could just hoist myself over it instead of walking around, and I did it with my driver in hand.

When I did it, the fence gave way under my fat ###. The end of my driver stuck in the mud, and my face smashed down against the club head. It was like I took a nasty punch to the face. I landed ass-first in the mud, holding my face and checking to make sure I still had all my teeth.

My friends never saw it. They just turned to see me sitting in the mud.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

My first time playing, showed up to Walker

Oct 26, 2020, 8:31 AM

In jeans and a t-shirt.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the rare times I'm actually looking forward to Crash

Oct 26, 2020, 8:31 AM

posting...

Mine is probably whenever I was trying to punch through some trees, basically said #### it and aimed for the center tree because I wanted to hit the gap on either side of it. Hit the tree square, and hard, ball bounced straight back and drilled me in the side as I was trying to turn out of the way. Wound up with a solid bruise.

Wasn't me, but played last Friday, and my friend who is just learning how to play the game, on the first tee, hit the ball legitimately 85 degrees right and in the air. Flew right over the head of a guy on the practice putting green, he didn't notice the ball that nearly killed him - buddy put another ball on the tee and hit it forwardish...we played that one and didn't go for his other ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Crash doesnt have the time to do this exercise, could take

Oct 26, 2020, 10:19 AM

years

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Back in about 1980 we were playing at Oconee CC.

Oct 26, 2020, 9:00 AM

Being poor college kids we were carrying. There is (was?) 1 hole where you walk back from the previous green 25 yds to the next tee so everybody leaves their bag by the previous green and takes just a driver to the tee.

In pure PGA form I hit a strong worm burner that hits the hosel of my buddy's 3 wood (actual wood in those days) and snaps it clean sending it end over end into the air.

It became the trophy for the fraternity golf tourney later that year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Picking up a club for the first time was probably my

Oct 26, 2020, 9:15 AM

dumbest move.

The dumbest thing I've ever seen in golf was on a course in Greenwood that straddled housing. Someone had built a child's play fort in a fenced in back yard near the course edge, on the point of a dogleg about 200 yards from the tee box of one hole. Can't imagine the number of errant shots that have terrorized those poor kids over the years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Picking up a club for the first time was probably my

Oct 26, 2020, 9:18 AM

There's a guy on the Wild Dunes course who built his house right in the first hole slice zone. I spoke with some of the guys who work there, and they said he was urged to build elsewhere but didn't. And they said he calls every single day to complain about balls hitting his house.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

true story...

Oct 26, 2020, 9:27 AM

was playing with my father in law at a course in myrtle beach (cant remember which). he hits one OB straight into an opened sliding glass door and into a kitchen. We get up to the house and he gets out of the cart, walks up to the house, goes straight inside and hits the ball back onto the course standing in the kitchen. One of the funniest things i've ever seen. I also sometimes wonder how he didnt get shot!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Play it where it lies!***

Oct 26, 2020, 9:30 AM

Many years ago, playing this corporate tourney

Oct 26, 2020, 9:36 AM

thing in Charlotte at that dunes course up there, I think around Pineville, can't remember the name. Anyhoo, unbeknownst to me I had ripped about a 2 inch hole in the crotchital regions of my shorts butt sliding on slippery cart seat that morning, had also gone commando that morning as I had forgotten to pack boxers for the trip (planned to buy some after the round). Well, I didn't discover my wardrobe malfunction til riding down the cartpath on 12, the wind gently caressing my nether areas.

So, every time I squatted down to read a putt...I was showing prime Slac sack to our competitors. Nobody effin' said an effin' word. I would've appreciated a simple, "Hey Slac, yer sack is showing". Oh well.

Played in a storm.....

Oct 26, 2020, 9:39 AM

It started lightning around us and we kept playing. Coopers Creek outside Pelion. Course is gone now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My childhood best friend's dad's playing partner died

Oct 26, 2020, 9:44 AM

from being struck by lightning on a golf course, and my best friend's dad was one of my biggest coaches of golf - so I've learned to never mess with that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Played in a storm.....

Oct 26, 2020, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Played in a storm..... ]

Had a similar incident but just left too late as a storm came up quick on us in Georgetown last summer. As we were trucking it to the club house, a tree got struck about 50 or 75 yards from us. Saw the tree ignite and my ear was ringing for a good 30 minutes. Won't make that mistake again.

As Lee Trevino once said: "If you are caught on a golf

Oct 26, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Played in a storm..... ]

course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

-Lee Trevino
-Michael Scott

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've uttered

Oct 26, 2020, 9:46 AM

"Get the fuck out of my face old man" when some grumpy #### accused me of picking up his ball.

I haven no idea where it came from, but my buddies I was with that day bring it up everytime we're together whether we're golfing or not.

Yo Cata

Oct 26, 2020, 9:47 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was slac, dumb bass.....***

Oct 26, 2020, 11:41 AM

I played some hillbilly goat track in Charlotte a few times

Oct 26, 2020, 10:02 AM

probably 20 years ago, think it was in Belmont, or called Belmont, or I may be totally making that up. One of the holes was apparently near a trailer park or something, and there was a makeshift shooting range behind a treeline where it sounded like people were shooting at the Liberty Bell (for real, I'd love to know what they were actually hitting with those rounds). Saw a fight on that course when the skinny little redneck in jeans in front of us hit into the group of rednecks in front of him (he was playing by himself). Group of necks got mad, jeans neck said "OH NO YOU DINT", they met halfway up the fairway, and jeans neck took a whipping for keeping it real.

Anyway, one of the holes had a HUGE drop from the teebox down to the fairway, had to be 80-100' down. We put a couple balls out on or near or nowhere near the fairway, and hop in the cart. I decide I'ma scare my buddy Frank who is riding with me, so I floor it down the hill. These gas powered carts didn't have the governor/autobrake mechanism, so that cart got up to 35-40mph on that steep downhill. I went straight into the dirt "fairway" instead of turning right with the path at the bottom, and decided to cut the wheel hard left to scare the aformentioned Frank with a 35mph powerslide. Cut wheel left, and the cart decides to powerslide in the other direction, so I'M the one looking at pure destruction should the cart decide to tip. It's completely sideways and bouncing all 4 wheels off the ground, I have my left leg hanging out of the cart just out of pure reflex for when it tips, we're screaming like 11 year old girls at a Jonas Brothers concert, and everything in the cart that isn't strapped down is swiftly exiting the cart. Somehow, the cart didn't tip. Out of, let's say 25 clubs in our two bags, there were 4 of them still in the bags. A group of necks sitting in lawnchairs at the neighboring apartment complex were laughing so hard we heard one of them choking.

Still not as good as that guy who climbed up to put his actual balls in a ballwasher, fell, and ripped a testicle out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I played some hillbilly goat track in Charlotte a few times

Oct 26, 2020, 10:05 AM

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/top-flite-of-fancy/

Well, that's lame. I assume that had I seen the name

Oct 26, 2020, 10:07 AM

"Everett Sanchez" associated with that story when it came out, I would have identified the fraud immediately, because look at that name.

Sounds like Piper Glen

Oct 26, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to I played some hillbilly goat track in Charlotte a few times ]

after Ric Flair moved in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds like Piper Glen

Oct 26, 2020, 10:09 AM

I don't even know how long ago this was, but one of my good

Oct 26, 2020, 10:31 AM

friends growing up was a member of the Greenville Country Club, almost exclusively so his parents had somewhere to dump him while they went and did whatever it was they did. So naturally, he played a lot of golf.

He had been trying to get me to come play, so one day I gave in and went. We get out there, and I'm like W TF are we doing? You know we could be at the lake right now? Or the pool? Or the woods? Pretty much anywhere other than on this MFin golf course with this gaggle of rich kid dooshbags. And he's like I know, so we quit playing golf that day.

I tried it a couple of more times in college, and I still didn't like it, but the people I was with were much more tolerable so the memory didn't stick with me like my first time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huge mistake not bagging one of the girls at the pool

Oct 26, 2020, 10:47 AM

whose father is lower deck rich.

I've got to help my son ask the right questions.

"Your parents have a mountain house at which course in Cashiers?"

Probably a good strategy.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to I don't even know how long ago this was, but one of my good ]

I can't think of anything else in life where I've spent this much money to sweat my ### off in the heat and hate myself.

I knew golf wasn't for me when me and a friend went to the

Oct 26, 2020, 11:11 AM [ in reply to I don't even know how long ago this was, but one of my good ]

driving range at Patriots Point and about 3 swings in I'm looking for the beer chick.

Really?

Oct 26, 2020, 11:20 AM

I thought it was because the town of Mt. P had banned you from driving golf carts.

They haven't banned me.

Oct 26, 2020, 12:09 PM

They just hassle me too much.

I'll never live in Mt P again.

Par 3 and put my shot into a large azalea on the right side

Oct 26, 2020, 12:13 PM

...just under the edge of the ground covering limbs. Walked up and reached over, pulled the limbs apart and got zapped by 5 very mad wasps. One got me right on the eyelid. My eye instantly puffed out to gargantuan proportions but did not close. I could tell it was an issue but all my "buddies" said you couldn't hardly tell. I played through with people laughing/yacking at me about it.

finally made it to the clubhouse and , wow, that was something!

BTW, I don't know why i reached out with my hand to move the limbs, putting me that close to those bees. Never had before....NEVER will again. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

aiming directly at the clown's mouth instead of banking

Oct 26, 2020, 12:24 PM

off the sidewall.

Seriously, the dumbest thing I've ever done in golf is kept score. Golf is MUCH more fun when you don't.

And this is coming from someone who is a 4 handicap (supposedly, that's what the overlords of scorekeeping keep telling me regardless of what I actually shoot).

Re: What's the dumbest shot or move you've ever pulled in golf?

Oct 26, 2020, 2:55 PM

Got a chance to play the Dominion Country Club in San Antonio back around 1987. A friend got us and our wives on. We dressed up in our finest to look our best. This club had a very strict dress code. We get to the course only to find out our tee time had been taken by one of the members. The member who tried to get the four of us on apologizes so we start calling around to try to find another place to play. The only place that had an open tee time was a cow pasture about 30 minutes outside of SA. Beggars can’t be choosers so we drive out and get ready to play. Upon arrival we are totally overdressed. Everyone is in jeans and t-shirts. Some are not even wearing shirts. Large coolers strapped to carts. You get the picture. We standout like 4 sore thumbs. We get to the first tee and a small crowd gathered around to see who the highfalutin people are. My friend is a very good golfer so he stripes one right down the middle. My turn. Feeling a bit nervous, I proceed to hit one off the heel of my driver and the ball goes right between my legs and goes about 50 yards rolling across the practice green. The redneck group is scattering to get out of the way. My wife who was new to the game yells out, “That’s OK honey, hit a Herman”! She meant “mulligan”. Since that day we call all mulligans Hermans!

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic