Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What would Chad Kelly be bringing to the QB controversy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

What would Chad Kelly be bringing to the QB controversy

Sep 10, 2014, 1:43 PM

I'm sure some will disagree, but I think he would be performing at a level that would get him the third most playing time right now. Instead of 76 plays (Stoudt) and 23 plays (Watson) it would be something like 60 plays (Stoudt), 22 plays (Watson), and 17 plays (Kelly). At best he would be getting around the same number of snaps as Watson.

Personally i'm glad he is gone. For those who would want him back, do you think he would be handling the situation with as much maturity as Stoudt and Watson right now?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wouldn't be getting any snaps

Sep 10, 2014, 1:46 PM

If he wasn't named starter (which he wouldn't have been) he was most likely gone and if Watson was ahead of him (which he would've been) he was 100% gone before the season

Watson would not have been ahead of Kelly

Sep 10, 2014, 1:59 PM

He wasn't ahead of him in the spring, and Kelly was battling for the starting job with Stoudt so he wasn't about to be third on the depth chart.

You guys don't seem to be able to remember what the coaches said about who would play past whatever happened last weekend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree ... Watson doesn't play if Kelly is still on the team

Sep 10, 2014, 2:12 PM

But, I honestly do not believe that Kelly would have started the 2015 season over Watson and that he would have had his belated, but inevitable tantrum then.

In fact, I don't see Kelly lasting the entire 2014 season playing behind Cole Stoudt. He was not going to be satisfied playing behind anybody.

IMHO, Kelly did not show nearly as much raw potential to effectively lead the team in the opportunities he had that Watson has exhibited so far this fall.

Although the circumstances of his departure were unfortunate, Kelly and Clemson are in a better place now and the future is much clearer.

Seeing the numbers being put up by incoming QB candidates Tucker Israel and Kelly Bryant only serve to reinforce this point.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Swag so what we see

Sep 10, 2014, 1:46 PM

DW is going to take the job sooner rather than later and that Kelly would graduate from Clemson as a backup.

change that to "Swag SAW what we saw"***

Sep 10, 2014, 1:47 PM

Re: What would Chad Kelly be bringing to the QB controversy

Sep 10, 2014, 1:49 PM

A "BIG" mouth!
A "CULT" following!

Lot's of Turnovers!

I don't think there would be a controversy

Sep 10, 2014, 1:56 PM

I think if Kelly is here, DW redshirts. Then the QB controversy would be in 2015, not 2014.

I give the coaches a little more credit than that

Sep 10, 2014, 2:10 PM

I can't imagine them not giving a talent like Watson some playing time this year. Anyone that has seen his talent knows that there is no reason to redshirt him. There is no way he is going to be here for 5 years, and there is no reason he should be. He is a fast learner, and whatever added benefit he can get out of staying in college will be reached by his fourth year at the latest.

Well, the plan before Kelly was dismissed was to let

Sep 10, 2014, 3:31 PM

DW develop. But we both know that didn't happen. We also know that DW has looked pretty amazing when he has had opportunities. I am just not sure if we would have seen him if Chad Kelly was still here because Kelly would have been the backup, especially since they named Cole the starter. Why would they waste a year of eligibility for a backup role. You wouldn't waste a 5 star's year when you have a clear-cut starter (at the time) and a pretty good (but mouthy) backup.

But, all of this is hypothetical, so it doesn't really matter either way.

No, he would be the backup

Sep 10, 2014, 1:58 PM

And most likely we'd have a similar fan- driven controversy if the coaches were playing him every few drives like they're playing Watson. Unfortunately you just can't have a two- QB system where the more heralded guy out of HS is the back- up and not have fans think the more heralded guy should play more.

I don't think Watson would be playing much at all if Kelly were here, and that should be pretty obvious from the fact that Watson was the third guy in the spring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, he would be the backup

Sep 10, 2014, 3:37 PM

You honestly don't think Watson wouldn't have separated himself by now? In hindsight, it seems clear to me that we appeased Chad by fabricating some "QB race" between he and Cole.

I didn't see a thing from Kelly to make me think that he would hold off Watson from being in the same position as he is now (I guess that's why this thread was created).

I suppose a redshirt could have been in the cards...but based on what we've seen from Watson so far is there any doubt that he outperformed Chad Kelly in practice and that was a factor in the outburst?

This all based on the limited knowledge and what we've seen from the two guys, obviously.

Obvious answer is SWAG***

Sep 10, 2014, 2:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Swag?***

Sep 10, 2014, 2:07 PM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

lack of respect, confrontation, 30 yd run, mouthing off,

Sep 10, 2014, 2:41 PM

distraction in the class and maybe some good ol breaking of team rules.

^This***

Sep 10, 2014, 3:25 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Controversy......

Sep 10, 2014, 3:12 PM

not regarding his on the field play unfortunately.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Controversy......

Sep 10, 2014, 3:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0pewqF8POE

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

What DID he bring?

Sep 10, 2014, 3:47 PM

We already know the answer, don't we?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: What would Chad Kelly be bringing to the QB controversy

Sep 10, 2014, 4:01 PM

Swag would have been playing mop up duty on Saturdays. 3 deep mop up. There would be no reason to redshirt DW. None what so ever. He is here for 3 years and then he is gone. You dont let a talent like that waste for a year and not gain any game experience.

Kelly like Fredo is dead to me ...***

Sep 10, 2014, 5:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson would be a red shirt. Cole would be a back-up.***

Sep 10, 2014, 5:25 PM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic