Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What was your best/ worst road game you have seen
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

What was your best/ worst road game you have seen

Jun 16, 2020, 7:34 PM

My best experience was the 63-17 chicken kicking in the upside down #### roach. Worst experience the debacle at Wake Forest in 2003. I believe it was 45-17.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For true road games (not bowls)

Jun 16, 2020, 7:37 PM

Best - FSU 1989
Worst - VT 1999 (ish)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that Wake Forest game. I will never forget it.***

Jun 16, 2020, 7:37 PM

Georgia Tech 2003 when we won 39-3 in purple jerseys was memorable for sure.

Duke in 2002, when Charlie Whitehurst led us back to win, threw for a TON of yards.

I was at the Syracuse game in 2017 - that one hurt.

If counting bowls, 2019 in San Francisco was unbeatable - what a night!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: What was your best/ worst road game you have seen

Jun 16, 2020, 7:38 PM

No away losses for me including bowls, but the 2013 FSU debacle (51-14) where Seckinger fumbled it on the first drive was devastating.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 7:45 PM

Best: Alabama in San Fran
Worst: SCAR in 1979. I don’t remember the score. Just remember their students wearing Cluck Femson shirts

If the USuC game was the one that Billy Lott

Jun 16, 2020, 8:56 PM

overthrew a wide open receiver in the end zone then that was my worst game too. I believe it was 13-9.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 7:52 PM

The Worst was January 1, 1996 Syracuse 41-0 in Gator Bowl! The best was December 29, 1978 when Danny Ford led Tigers beat Ohio State 17-15!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 8:09 PM

I was 11 years old in 1978 for the Ohio State game. We shocked the world and the Bucknuts because Danny was just getting started. Danny was a perfect fit for Clemson. If it wasn’t for Danny we wouldn’t be where we are today. Danny was almost instantaneously legendary an a heck of a Coach too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 16, 2020, 7:58 PM

Wake forest in 2003 was brutal. Our best away game ever was Texas A&M two years ago. What a fabulous experience. The A&M fans are as good as anybody.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:08 PM

Could have done without the rain and mud. But their fans were awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 16, 2020, 8:17 PM

The best game was in 1978 going to College Park to watch the Tigers beat the Terps 28-24 to win their first ACC Title since 1967 and the worst was 1984 in Athens,Georgia watching the Tigers lose 26-23 after leading 20-6 at the half and seemingly dominating the game up to that point.It was rough getting out of Sanford Stadium that day.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:23 PM

Oh forgot to mention Kevin Butler's winning FG from 60 yards that day as that just topped the worst road trip ever for me and there was many to say the least

I was at both of those... They certainly rank high and low..***

Jun 17, 2020, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: What was your best/ worst road game you have seen ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 8:18 PM

Best was Tallahassee in 06? We won it late on a long James Davis run to set up the TD.
2nd best road win was the Peach Bowl win over the Vols.

Worst for me is a toss-up : 41-0 loss to Syracuse in the Gator or the Orange Bowl Debacle Vs WVU

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 8:55 PM

On the James Davis long run to setup the win at FSU, it seemed like the officials signaled our timeout was over, but neither team would take the field. So the officials spotted the ball and started the play clock. As soon as the play clock started, our offense rushed onto the field, lined up for one second, and pitched the ball to James Davis toward our own sideline, away from the FSU defense that was still running onto the field. I always thought it was a planned play that worked to perfection.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Re: What was your best/ worst road game you have seen ]

On the James Davis long run to setup the win at FSU, it seemed like the officials signaled our timeout was over, but neither team would take the field. So the officials spotted the ball and started the play clock. As soon as the play clock started, our offense rushed onto the field, lined up for one second, and pitched the ball to James Davis toward our own sideline, away from the FSU defense that was still running onto the field. I always thought it was a planned play that worked to perfection.

Major props for those 2 experiences

Jun 16, 2020, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: What was your best/ worst road game you have seen ]

I remember the McNabb/Harrison beatdown. I knew Clemson football of the 80's was dead at that point.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:18 PM

UGAy 1980 worst. Having liquor bottles chucked at you
Usuc 1981 best. Chucking oranges

Worst true road game by far was the FSU game where we got

Jun 16, 2020, 8:20 PM

thumped 56-0 or something like that. Roasted in the sun and watched Sapp get killed at QB. Best road win would be Georgia in something like '86 when Treadwell (I think) kicked the fieldgoal at the end for the win.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now if you want to go "neutral field" game, the top 5 losses

Jun 16, 2020, 9:14 PM

include the WVU debacle, the Alabama kickoff Harper fumble game, the Whitehurst massacre against California, the Syracuse rear whooping, and the USF Tire Bowl game. On the winning side, the win against Bama in Tampa, the win against Bama in Frisco, whacking Notre Dame in Cotton Bowl, beating Tennessee in the Peach Bowl, and abusing Major Harris in the Gator Bowl. Those are what I can remember attending anyway!

"They killing my baby. He's running for his life out there."

Jun 16, 2020, 10:55 PM

I still LOL every time I see that clip on YouTube.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never think he had it that bad when I watch the game.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:41 AM

To me it's one of those "legends" how bad he got hit.

Win in Columbia (1977), Lose in Baltimore (1984)

Jun 16, 2020, 8:26 PM

Best - 1977, Fuller to Butler in Columbia
Worst - 1984 Lose to Maryland 41-23 in Baltimore

Bonus:
Oddest - 1986, tie Maryland 17-17 in the Press Box game. Ford and Ross were banished to the press box for previous transgressions.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:35 PM

Two best were 13-13 tie at Chapel Hill in 77 and the Orange Bowl in Miami against Nebraska. Two worst were the game at UVA when our lifetime winning streak against them ended and the place went nuts (thanks Ken Hatfield) and the thrashing by Syracuse in the Gator Bowl after the 1995 season.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:51 PM

Worst: Duke '89 - My first Clemson game. Nothing like the first Spurrier loss and then attending '06-'12.

Best: Might sound odd. VaTech in 2011 - That was the change of the guard for ACC power. Prior to that, VT was most consistant top 10-ish team in the late 2000 - we kill the VT program that night. It also helped A close second was Miami in 2009.

Jun 16, 2020, 9:01 PM

Worst was the loss in Tampa to GT in the ACCCG .
The look on my face after that game was akin to McConaghey after the LSU loss in Austin last year .
Second worse was the WV debacle .
Third was the inexllicable loss on the road in Raleigh in 2012 ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Best was 63-17

Jun 16, 2020, 9:05 PM

Worst was the 79 Peach Bowl. Coldest I've ever been in my life

Re: Best was 63-17

Jun 16, 2020, 9:39 PM

I remember the 1979 peach bowl vs Baylor. It sleeted and was quite cold.

You got that right.***

Jun 16, 2020, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Best was 63-17 ]

...and my seats were very close to the Baylor band. Bad.***

Jun 17, 2020, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Best was 63-17 ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were in an auxiliary press box atop

Jun 17, 2020, 4:17 PM

the stadium with absolutely no shielding from the wind. It was howling

Jun 16, 2020, 9:05 PM

Best Miami at Orange Bowl 2004 OT win! They were #11 entering the game and were still a very very blue blood program at the time.

Worst @ UGA 1991 - Tigers highly ranked #6 entering the game. We had beaten them 34-3 the year before. This should've been a walk in the park. Got slaughtered 27-12. The Braves won the division for the first time in yeeeears just before kickoff and the stadium was chaotic.

Jun 16, 2020, 9:08 PM

Best is any time we beat the ##### . Worst at BC - Spiller’s freshman year or the year we lost to the ##### when Bowden took Reggie Merriweather out of the game after he had taking us down the field for the winning td

Reggie! Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!***

Jun 16, 2020, 9:17 PM

Re: Reggie! Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!***

Jun 16, 2020, 9:53 PM

The only one that could have stopped him from winning that game was Bowden.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I was at the WF 2003 game

Jun 16, 2020, 9:09 PM

to this day all I can say is wow. I remember going and buying a 6 pack before the FSU game. Guy saw my Clemson hat, and we both chuckled at the chances. Tommy Bowden teams were a mess.

Best, beating FSU 1989. Losing to coots in 87***

Jun 16, 2020, 9:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The game at BC in 2010 was pretty crappy.

Jun 16, 2020, 9:36 PM

Such a disappointing game during a disappointing season. Our offense was awful and our defense wasn’t much better.

Most people were questioning Dabo’s ability to succeed as our head coach, and rightfully so. He grew up a lot as a result of that season.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Thanks for the good Football topic!

Jun 16, 2020, 9:51 PM

Best: The Louis Solomon comeback at UVA. 1992 I believe?

Worst: Hmmm...I’ve been to bigger blowouts, but I’d have to say the one that pisssed me off the most was at VT in 2006. Just 5 days earlier we had the big win over GT and thought we were rolling. Went up there Thursday night and made their sorry assses look good. 24-7 I think it was.

Some stinkers I’ve travelled to

Jun 16, 2020, 9:56 PM

1996 Chapel Hill 45-0
2004 Duke 16-13

Plus a few bowl games

Jun 16, 2020, 10:04 PM

Best: @ Texas A&M, College Station, TX 2004 / 2018

Worst: @ UGA, Athens, GA 1980

Best. upset high ranked UNC at Chapel Hill, in the early 70s

Jun 16, 2020, 10:34 PM

Worst, lost bad to G. Tech as usual in 1969.

Re: Best. upset high ranked UNC at Chapel Hill, in the early 70s

Jun 16, 2020, 11:09 PM

Best (away): FSU, 1989 - and CDF jogging off the field with his tongue in his cheek (shown on national TV.)
Worst (home): FSU, 1988 - with "The Punt Rooskie" and the resulting field goal when they won the game.

and Go Tigers!!!

I only ever attended one away game, other than at the Roach.

Jun 16, 2020, 10:52 PM

Both my worst Clemson away games came in that same year, 1975. Suffered through a loss at Grant Field (Booby Dodd) against Ga. Tech, 33-28. Then, the ultimate embarrassment at the Roach against the Coots, 56-20.

My best "away" game experience NOT involving our Tigers was also at the Roach. It was watching the Furman Paladins upend the Coots at the Roach in 1982, 28-23. Coot tears were delicious that day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 11:14 PM

Best: Treadwell kicked a FG with 4 seconds left to beat UGA in Athens in 1986.
Worst: 1987 loss in Columbia (20-7)--I haven't been back to that dump since that game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 16, 2020, 11:40 PM

Hey man, I watched that game at the irmo, sc Carolina Wings back in the day. Food was okay, beer was weak, and the place was loud that night. Gamejerks got a big sack on our first possession Andi told a guy at the next table, "bad mistake, they put Whitehust in passing down". Lol, was just first of many chicken hates for the night.

Cool thing though, the guy at next table was disabled vet, and huge Clemson fan. The chickens exited as is if was 3rd quarter at the roach, and it wound up being just his table and ours. He was louder than me of those last 3 TDs but not by much! ,??

Jun 17, 2020, 12:02 AM

Best-63-17
Worst- tie between loss to WVa in OB and loss to Syracuse in their dome. Took our grandson so we still had a good trip visiting the Baseball HOF and Niagra Falls.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not counting bowls my two are the exact same as the OP

Jun 17, 2020, 12:45 AM

as I missed my oldest sisters birthday party to make that game vs Wake and we were crushed. I recall calling one of my brothers in law to tell him Tommy Bowdens days were probably numbered at the half of that one.
Which hurt me because I had at least somewhat of a friendship with TB and wanted him to succeed. People can say what they will but old TB really tried and just couldn’t put together the right chemistry among his assistants.
Vic was always after the head coaching job and TB was determined to stand by his OC and that had a lot to do with the way things went down at the end which I think we can all agree worked out for the best.
Somewhere there is a div 2 or FCS program missing out on a great coach and leader of men by not hiring TB to lead the program. Of course there is always a chance he’s been offered and just turned it down.
I’m happy with who we have now that’s for sure and we all need to stand by him during these troubled times.
Go Tigers and Go Dabo but at the risk of ticking some off for some crazy reason I believe Jesus Christ would agree Black Lives Matter but also All Lives Matter.
It’s just the color of our skin. That’s insanity to hate over something so trivial. Let’s love each other and help each other through this. I just want us to love one another. It wasn’t a suggestion Jesus gave. It was a commandment.
God love and bless you all!

Jun 17, 2020, 6:25 AM

Best - Beating Nebraska in 81
Worst - Getting hammered by Syracuse in bowl game

Jun 17, 2020, 7:25 AM

Best 63-17 at Willy B
Worst 0-57 at FSU 1993

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jun 17, 2020, 7:36 AM

Worst game- 2002 Tangerine bowl. 55-15 ugly loss to Texas Tech. I still hate Kliff Kingsbury to this day.

Best game- 63-17 beatdown of the lamecocks at the willy b. Stadium colors by the 3rd quarter were orange and aluminum.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:01 AM

Best USC 45-0
Worst USC 20-7 because it was my first Clemson/USCjr. game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 8:32 AM

Best - 1979 at Notre Dame. It was Notre Dame's last home game of the season and the Irish had not lost on Senior Day for many years. Well, we kicked that #### to the tune of 16-10. The best part, as we were walking out of the stadium with our hog-washers on, a ND coed stopped in front of me and said, "I hate orange." To which I answered, "Hate is such a strong word. I dislike Notre Dame."

Worst - 1983 at Boston College. We were up 16-3 at the half and were in pretty good shape. Or so I thought. The Eagles had a quarterback named Doug Flutie and he blistered us in the second half for 28 unanswered points for a 31-16 setback. It was the second game of the season and we tied Georgia the next week for a 1-1-1 record. We won the rest of them though to finish 9-1-1.

I was at that BC game... They spelled "FLUTIE" in fireworks

Jun 17, 2020, 9:18 AM

on a billboard before the players came out for the second half... It was prescient.

Can't remember his name, but that 6'-4" RB was a bad dude, too...

Same best road game. Worst was GT, forget the year.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:42 AM

Early 2000's I'd guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best '86 UGA..so much fun!!

Jun 17, 2020, 8:48 AM

worst - Same year - '86
drove the length of the field to tie Maryland. Settled for the tie because it gave us the ACC championship. We should/could have easily won that game and I really hated Maryland.

The result of the game was bad enough, but Maryland fans are still the worst in my book.

63-17 and 70-33 - so famous you know them by score***

Jun 17, 2020, 12:05 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven’t been to many non-bowl/playoff road games

Jun 17, 2020, 3:35 PM

So I’d say the best was the long-overdue win at Bobby Dodd in 2016

Worst was 2014 at Bobby Dodd, closely followed by the 2011 and 2009 losses there as well

Only other regular season road game I have been to not at Georgia Tech was @BC in 2016

If we’re including postseason, best would be 2016 Natty and worst would be 2011 Orange Bowl

The best home game was when we beat ND in the rain

Jun 17, 2020, 4:30 PM

and the worst road game was against FSU in like 2000ish when weinke threw a 98 yard touchdown pass to snoop menus. That game got ugly quick.

Best road win was probably 63-17, although I also enjoy

Jun 17, 2020, 4:32 PM

Hearing toad Ellis say touchdown Clemson on the replays.

Best road win was probably 63-17, although I also enjoy

Jun 17, 2020, 4:32 PM

Hearing toad Ellis say touchdown Clemson on the replays.

Jun 17, 2020, 5:17 PM

worst:
2003 wake forest game
tommy bowden last year alabama game
bowls: gator syracuse and orange west virginia

Jun 17, 2020, 5:42 PM

Best for "true" road game: Wake Forest in 2016, they just started selling beer in the stadium. And it was draft from places like Foothills, which was really good.

Worst for "true" road game: 2015 vs. NC State. NC State easily has some of the trashiest fans in the conference and most of their students left at halftime even though the game was decent.

Best for "neutral" game: 2012 vs. LSU. 4th and 16.

Worst for "neutral" game: 2017 vs. Miami. My dad yelled a racial slur at a group of Miami fans, nearly got us into a fight, and he got kicked out for the rest of the game. Good times.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 5:56 PM

Best Road Game: 2013 Peach/Chick-Fil-A Bowl against a great LSU team with Nuk catching that 4-16 pass and Catman kicking the field goal. (2nd best either the chicken kickin (63-17) or Dabo's first win at Boston College.

Worst Road Game: Orange Bowl lopsided embarrassment against West Virginia (I took a #### bus to get there).
Worst regular-season road game: Clemson versus Duke (2004?) the game after we beat Miami at Miami (when Miami was good).

Jun 17, 2020, 6:13 PM

This thread definitely makes me think I haven’t been to enough road games in my 51 years of fandom. Seen several good wins at Ga Tech but the worst road loss was to AU in 2010 in OT dropping that TD pass and whiffing the tying chip shot FG that would have kept them from winning the Natty probably. Best road win was at AU in 2016 but I felt Dabo was too cautious and made it closer than it should have been.

Best bowl was the Tampa Natty and worst was the Baylor Peach Bowl at old Fulton County Stadium in 79.

Jun 17, 2020, 6:34 PM

Best ...
Columbia 1989 ... good Gamecock whupping
aTm .. Tigers win and great aTm fans

Worst
Tangerine Bowl vs Texas Tech...
What a nightmare... enough said..

Jun 17, 2020, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: What was your best/ worst road game you have seen ]

Best ...
Columbia 1989 ... good Gamecock whupping
aTm .. Tigers win and great aTm fans

Worst
Tangerine Bowl vs Texas Tech...
What a nightmare... enough said..

Jun 17, 2020, 6:40 PM

Hard question. Birthday turned 50 in the 58-0 beatdown of the U. I have seen better wins over ranked opponents but had the family with me and a fins cake on Sunday with a 40+ win. Loss, neutral field but the alabama loss with Spiller was a gut check. Also as I think the 60 yard field goal in athens has to be #1.

Replies: 67
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic