Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is the single greatest performance you have seen on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

What is the single greatest performance you have seen on

Feb 18, 2015, 4:18 PM

the basketball court in person? This girl at Minnesota scored 39 points and had 29 rebounds yesterday.

Can be Clemson related or not, but you had to be there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Randolph Childress in the ACCT

Feb 18, 2015, 4:20 PM

hands down

Championship game performance here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YT21obnQ0

Article about his entire tournament

http://www.searchingforbillyedelin.com/2011/3/8/2035336/searching-for-acc-tournament-legend-randolph-childress

Message was edited by: york_tiger®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

forgot about him. i've seen some great ind. performances,

Feb 18, 2015, 4:34 PM

but none are that vivid.

the best college game i ever saw was a clemson loss, 89-87 to a freshman ralph sampson & the dreaded hoos in charlottesville.

have i ever mentioned how much i hate the hoos? cause i do... a lot.

it was '79-80, clemson led by the skyline, billy williams & a hoo team that had 6 future nba players. awesome game. wrong team won.

i hate em, the hoos that is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep... I've never seen anything like what he did over those

Feb 18, 2015, 4:38 PM

3 days...

and his performance in the Championship game, his 3rd in a row, was absolutely unbelievable

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

that had to be ridiculous watching that in the arena. dood

Feb 18, 2015, 4:40 PM

was electric, heck it was amazing watching what i did on tv.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skip Wise scored 38 against Penn

Feb 18, 2015, 9:41 PM [ in reply to yep... I've never seen anything like what he did over those ]

In Littlejohn. Chuck Daly coached Penn. I think Wise scored more than half of Clenson's points that night and still lost. He was the best bb player that I ever saw at Clemson and until Magic Johnson he was the best freshman I have ever watched.

Re: Randolph Childress in the ACCT

Feb 18, 2015, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Randolph Childress in the ACCT ]

Dave Odom was a genious

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now, he was a hoss.***

Feb 18, 2015, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Randolph Childress in the ACCT ]

Saw T-Mac drop 63 on the Wizards

Feb 18, 2015, 4:29 PM

I think Chris Whitney may have been on that Wizards team too

The other great one was by Tim Hardaway

Feb 18, 2015, 4:32 PM

He got tossed from a game in Orlando, so he tossed a TV right by where I was courtside. Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MBimkiPwxY

Saw Kevin Garnett at Mauldin his Jr year....

Feb 18, 2015, 4:31 PM

gym was packed and he just dominated...incredible to watch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saw Kevin Garnett at Mauldin his Jr year....

Feb 18, 2015, 4:35 PM

Gotta agree there. Then again, there is that one time Jimmy Whitesides beat him in a dunk contest off a chair (obviously a joke win, but still classic)...lol.

Feb 18, 2015, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Saw Kevin Garnett at Mauldin his Jr year.... ]

Was that before or after he and some buddies beat a white kid senseless thus leading him to flee to Chicago?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 18, 2015, 8:56 PM

Before...that happened his senior year when a guy (who ended up being sent to Hillcrest HS, btw) spray painted a certain racial slur (with incorrect spelling) on the side of the school that had to get sand blasted off.

Feb 18, 2015, 9:53 PM

Or..well, correction..happened in May of his Junior year (right at the end of the year).

Oh and The Admiral at Navy dropping 45 on JMU****

Feb 18, 2015, 4:35 PM

Was in a pick up game in Harlem and saw a kid named

Feb 18, 2015, 4:37 PM

Earl "The Goat" Manigault. Was the best player I had ever seen.
Some of this statement is true.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: Was in a pick up game in Harlem and saw a kid named

Feb 18, 2015, 4:50 PM

"Goat" is still legendary on the playgrounds of New York....and not just Harlem. Amazing you got to see him in person. There've been a number of things written about him and all are testaments to his phenominal ability.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In Littlejohn vs Wake Forest 2002 triple OT

Feb 18, 2015, 4:47 PM

Sat in the 2nd row behind Rod Gardner (who was courtside) and Rod was honored at half time.

And we won!

Re: What is the single greatest performance you have seen on

Feb 18, 2015, 4:48 PM

I saw Steph Curry light up The Citadel with about six 3 pointers and around 30 points. Don't recall the stats but remember thinking that he put on the greatest performance I had ever seen.

Dunno about the greatest performance, but I do know the best play

Former Tiger Noel Johnson went to my rival high school and played alongside future UGA/Philadelphia eagle DB Brandon Boykin.

They were up 40 or so towards the end of the game...Johnson was bringing the ball up and right before he got to half-court, he lobbed an 'oop to Boykin who was streaking down the baseline. Boykin (standing not quite 5'9'') cough the ball in mid-air and threw down a reverse jam.

This stands out simply because it was an NBA level play executed in high school by the shortest guy on the court. Incredible.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw pistol Pete Maravich several times. Amazed each time! And if he had of had a 3 pt line, you could throw away record books!

probably the greatest player of all time... all things

Feb 18, 2015, 4:52 PM

considered...

I consider Jordan to be the best ever, considering what he did and how he did it... But from a purely talent and ability to score standpoint, Pete was probably the best to ever play

HA! I guess you could say he was the most dominate during

Feb 18, 2015, 5:01 PM

the white man era... Which isnt saying much.

it's hard to say... he was so far ahead of his time in so

Feb 18, 2015, 5:03 PM

many ways...

I still think he's the best to ever play in college.. He could simply score at will

Re: it's hard to say... he was so far ahead of his time in so

Feb 18, 2015, 5:33 PM

He could! He did! Game after game! Year after year! Score at will from every inch of the court in the eight games I watched in person! ( I cant remember what color his skin was to the earlier poster):)

Any game I got to see David Thompson live and in person.....

Feb 18, 2015, 5:03 PM

he didn't always score 40 points or get 20 rebounds, but he was always an incredible show....to this day, I still think he was the greatest college basketball player in history (although certainly others had better stats)....."Skywalker" changed the college game.

When Clemson almost unbelievably beat NCSt at Littlejohn in his senior year, the entire crowd was euphoric! Thompson was still easily the best player on the court, but he didn't have Tim Stoddard and Monte Towe (both of whom we'd seen the previous spring playing baseball for the Wolfpack) with him.

I'm a Tiger through and through, but as you can tell, I was a big DT fan. It was hard not to be.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2015, 5:07 PM

Saw Ivory Latta put up 80 something points in a high school playoff game. I think she made 25 3s or something ridiculous.

Also saw Jordan play in the finals and put up 38, anything he did in the finals was great.

Ivory Latta was a special high school basketball player

Feb 18, 2015, 5:09 PM

once in a lifetime

Re: Ivory Latta was a special high school basketball player

Feb 18, 2015, 5:20 PM

Yea she was. It wasn't fair at all. They had 3 girls trying to guard her and it didn't matter.

Not a men's game, but saw Barbara Kennedy

Feb 18, 2015, 5:09 PM

hang 42 on the Chickens in the early 80's. Way before the 3 point shot too. Best basketball player in Clemson history

Kenny Smith torched us for 41 in Littlejohn in 1987 and

Feb 18, 2015, 5:34 PM

single-handedly whipped us in the second half after we were up 12 or so at the half.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UVA being down by about 28 at the half and still beating us.

Feb 18, 2015, 5:37 PM

Was about 4-5 years ago at Littlejohn. I couldn't believe it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw Teddy Dupay of Mariner High in Cape Coral Florida score

Feb 18, 2015, 5:43 PM

71 in the late 90s. He went on to UF and played the point for the 2000 team that lost to Michigan State in the finals. His teammate on that team was Earnest Graham who starred at running back for UF and them for the TB Bucs.

Dupay's was a tragic tale though after UF:

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/1/20/1261541/teddy-dupay-marijuana-legalization

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Played in a league in sunny side in Greer

Feb 18, 2015, 5:44 PM

And we consistently got beat by 50-75 pts. One team almost scored 100 at the half on our 5 fat white tails. Somebody signed us up for the wrong dang league apparently.

Feb 18, 2015, 7:10 PM

Attended NC State for exactly one semester and it happened to be Rodney Monroe's senior season. They also had Corchiani and Gugs. I think they won every ACC home game that year. Rodney could drain clutch 3's with guys in his face like nobody else. He seemed to get hotter as the game went on. If he scored 40 in a game, 30 were in the second half. The games all blur together now but he had some absolutely amazing finishes at Reynolds against the likes of GA Tech, Wake, Duke and UNC.

Interestingly enough, the best football performance I ever personally witnessed was also at NC State. But it was Woody Dantzler. I think he was 25-28 with 150 yards rushing or something like that. Whatever the numbers were he was unstoppable. Phillip Rivers was no slouch that day either.

I did an under the leg shot in Horse when I was 12

Feb 18, 2015, 7:14 PM

that landed on the roof of the house and bounced backwards into the basket...it was called

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2015, 7:18 PM

Skip Wise against NC. Controlled the game.

Feb 18, 2015, 7:19 PM

Pro, but Jordan and D Wilkins scored 40 something each.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2015, 7:22 PM

Saw Keith Bogans and Joseph Forte destroy North Charleston High School in the 1999 Rotary Roundball Classic championship at the Citadel in Charleston, SC. Those two were ungodly that night.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 18, 2015, 7:23 PM

They went to DeMatha Catholic out of Maryland btw.

Toss up for me........

Feb 18, 2015, 7:34 PM

My two favorite players were Bill Bradley and Pete Maravich. I saw Pistol Pete play in Littlejohn and it was amazing. He made passes that I could not believe. He could put up 40, 50 and just make it look easy. I saw Bradley several times in the Garden and he carried an entire team. He was a one man team. No matter how many people tried to cover him, he was unstoppable. I saw him lay 40 on Michigan in a loss. Princeton had no one else. Two of the greatest for sure.

whatever game I saw Skip Wise play his freshman year at CU

Feb 18, 2015, 7:47 PM

he just made it look so easy and effortless... like Walt "Clyde the Glide" Frazier for the Knicks back during that same era. He was smoooooooooooooth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Without a doubt, it was this guy named Ben who....

Feb 18, 2015, 7:49 PM

still holds the unofficial assist record at Clemson with 22 in a pickup game involving Larry Nance, Moose, Billy Williams, and Bennie Cunningham.

His only post game quote was, "Hell, I wasn't going inside against those guys, so I kept feeding them the ball."

Seriously, getting on an actual court with that level of talent enabled this regular guy to see the greatest performance of his life...up close and personal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2015, 7:56 PM

I don't rember the overall performance , but I'll never forget watching Trevor booker in high school. One play he laid up for what probably could have been a dunk and caused the students to start chanting "you can't dunk". The very next play he rose up and threw down one of the most powerful dunks I have ever seen. It was incredible and it shut the students up really quick.

Feb 18, 2015, 8:10 PM

Living in the Midlands and having a best buddy that was a coot fan had me seeing a lot of bball I didn't care about. Saw Shaq,Stanley Roberts,Chris Jackson and crew demolish usuc.Saw BJ McKie take over in the state title game in a packed Irmo gym

Feb 18, 2015, 9:35 PM

Glen Rice dropped 41 on the Hornets back in he day. He was absolutely in the zone and did whatever he wanted. Really enjoyed watching him play in his prime.

Phil Ford's last game in Carmichael... and 1 more

Feb 18, 2015, 10:14 PM

1978... went for 34 against a Duke team that would lose in the NCAA final

i saw Dwight Durante (who had a good career with the Globetrotters) of Catawba College score 53... he's probably the best player i ever saw in person... and i saw Michael Jordan play

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic