Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is the rule regarding kicking a live ball out of your
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 701

What is the rule regarding kicking a live ball out of your

Oct 11, 2020, 11:26 AM

own end zone? When we punted to Miami and the ball bounced off their returner and rolled into the end zone, the Miami returner ended up (intentionally or not) kicking the ball out of the end zone. Why didn't that result in a safety - was it because possession was never established?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is the rule regarding kicking a live ball out of your

Oct 11, 2020, 11:29 AM

I think if the kicking out of the endzone was an intentional act, it would have been a safety. Since it wasn't intentional and he never established possession before the ball went out, it resulted in a TB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think it was ever considered... What's intentional?***

Oct 11, 2020, 11:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think it was ever considered... What's intentional?***

Oct 11, 2020, 11:35 AM

There were guys fighting for the ball and the miami player just happened to boot it out. If he would have been alone and trying to prevent a td by just purposely kicking it out, i believe they would call that a safety. Or i could be totally wrong lol.

Re: I don't think it was ever considered... What's intentional?***

Oct 11, 2020, 12:04 PM

You are correct.

Oct 11, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: What is the rule regarding kicking a live ball out of your ]

It was 100% intentional and well played by butterfinger returner ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Per the Zebras, that is correct, possession never

Oct 11, 2020, 11:29 AM

established.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2020, 11:38 AM

But on a punt, it's a live ball once touched by the receiving team. It was touched before it ever got kicked out of the end zone. I voted "safety".

Oct 11, 2020, 12:06 PM

That’s Incorrect

Oct 11, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: What is the rule regarding kicking a live ball out of your ]

For balls going into the end zone they take into account who forced the ball into the end zone. In this case the Clemson kickoff forced the ball into and through the end zone so so it is a touchback.

If the receiver would have caught the ball and then fumbled out of the back of the end zone it would have been a safety because the force would have changed.

On the kick if it were intentional it would have been a penalty and if the enforcement spot was in the end zone it would have been a safety.

They need to amend that stupid rule.

Oct 11, 2020, 11:49 AM

The refs called it properly by the rules, but I’d like to see the receiving team take possession where they initially touched the ball. Muffing it actually HELPS them out. That doesn’t seem right or fair. When the receiving team muffs it and the other team recovers it, they can’t advance it if the receiving team didn’t have full possession. So why ADVANCE MIAMI 15 OR 16 YARDS after their bonehead made 2 WRONG DECISIONS (going inside the 10 to return and actually trying to field a hard roller)? Just bailing him out IMO. A safety is too harsh, but some fair punishment should be administered (moving ball to initial touch point).

~JKB

In this case, the kick isn’t relevant

Oct 11, 2020, 12:12 PM

The crux of the play is that the momentum of the punt propelled the ball into the endzone. Even though it was touched (bounced off a returner) prior to entering the endzone, the fact that the force of the kick itself took it into the endzone makes a touchback a possibility. Now the ball is live, but just like any time a live ball is loose in the endzone (due to the force of the kick), if it either is recovered by the returning team or exits the back of the endzone it’s a touchback.

Had the kick been the thing that propelled the ball into (and through) the endzone then that would’ve been a safety.

But it was called correctly in the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 701
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic