Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is not fair.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

This is not fair.

Apr 15, 2014, 8:52 PM

The rich really should be paying more, in taxes.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

Apr 15, 2014, 9:49 PM

CIC/Mrs Mutt paid 19%

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How's that government check?***

Apr 15, 2014, 10:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How's that government check?***

Apr 16, 2014, 6:34 AM

uhhhhh...I don't even know how to respond to this or, what it even means?

How's that government check? I'm sorry, I don't know. You have me confused with someone else. I'm currently headed for another $20K tax year. What a privilege it is, to live and work in this free country of ours.

Well, there is the option to not earn so much.

Apr 18, 2014, 2:24 PM

That is the quickest way to pay less taxes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what I've been waiting for!

Apr 15, 2014, 11:06 PM

Can't believe it took until the 15th to happen.

OK, does anyone care to know why that chart is bu11shit?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need for you to explain.

Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 AM

Not to me anyway. I am fully aware that you leftwing nuts think that the wealthy should pay all that they earn, to support your bloated government.

You prefer the strawman to reality. Got it.***

Apr 16, 2014, 7:39 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You and balm live in the same "reality".

Apr 16, 2014, 5:20 PM

You'll not talk down to me about "reality".

There's only one reality.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:14 PM

It's not this:
I am fully aware that you leftwing nuts think that the wealthy should pay all that they earn, to support your bloated government.

Sorry about the exaggeration. I fixed it.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:47 PM

I am fully aware that you leftwing nuts think that the wealthy should pay a majority, of that they earn, to support your bloated government.

Reality called. It says it misses you.***

Apr 16, 2014, 10:44 PM

And you accuse me of projecting. Rich.***

Apr 17, 2014, 8:07 AM

I'm sorry, what are we arguing about again?***

Apr 17, 2014, 11:34 AM

The "bloated government" that is only bloated because of

Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Sorry about the exaggeration. I fixed it. ]

Republicans...

I swear, arguing politics is stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Whew! You can say that again.

Apr 17, 2014, 1:02 PM

Way to yank it down a notch.

Although I am not a member of the party, I didn't realize you were a flaming dim. Now, I do.

Like I said, arguing politics is stupid, gotta love the

Apr 17, 2014, 1:17 PM

"flaming dim"...I am not affiliated with either party, moron.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like I said, arguing politics is stupid, gotta love the

Apr 17, 2014, 4:52 PM

Oh no! The moron called me a moron.

I should pay just to thumb you down so you can cry with me.

Re: This is what I've been waiting for!

Apr 16, 2014, 7:02 AM [ in reply to This is what I've been waiting for! ]

Numbers wrong? Really?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't want to tangle with this guy.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:13 AM

He knows EVERYTHING!

LoL

Re: You don't want to tangle with this guy.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:39 AM

Come on BRT, you're the one who knew everything in your previous post to me. Don't go projecting yourself onto others.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Re: This is what I've been waiting for! ]

Lumbee, always with the sentence fragments with question marks at the end. Curious debate strategy.

Yes, really. Lumbee, do you really think that numbers cannot be wrong?

Apr 16, 2014, 7:58 AM

They may be wrong but I would imagine that Heritage is pretty careful given that 95% of the media backed by the weight of the POTUS and the Demo party is steadfastly against them.

Apr 16, 2014, 8:35 AM

"The media backed by the weight of the POTUS." Do you take yourself seriously?

I don't recall the last time "Obama's media" went after Heritage. If they did, maybe they'd start with this question: In the chart BRT posted, what counts as "income"?

See, because if you think it means the amount of money those people earned, then the numbers are wrong.

If you want to protest the representation of the data, you

Apr 16, 2014, 7:23 AM [ in reply to This is what I've been waiting for! ]

should go ahead and do it, and explain why.

This is like one of those FB drama queen posts that end with the phrase, "...I just can't talk about it."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Ouch.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:42 AM

Mumbo, you of all people. I just figured I'd take a new route this year. Every year someone makes this argument about what % of taxes the rich pay, and every year I point out why it's ridiculous. I was just making sure that it worth it to post the same old explanations every time these posts come up. (Silly me, why didn't I just bookmark the last one? Can anyone get Tnet's crappy search function to work?)

Re: Ouch.

Apr 16, 2014, 8:01 AM

You going with the brilliant comparison of unrealized capital gains versus ordinary income ?

Re: Ouch.

Apr 16, 2014, 8:37 AM

No, and I'm not sure what the point would be. Are you pointing out that massive amounts of income can be hidden as long as the assets aren't sold? If so, yes, decent point, but not what I was thinking.

Here's what I think: People who come from upper middle class

Apr 16, 2014, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Ouch. ]

and higher backgrounds understand about money, how to save it, earn it, and what reasonable expectations of lifestyle are, as a rule. We all know a few exceptions. My son had an Econ professor at PC who absolutely inspired him to save money right away, showing how time is your friend when talking about compounded interest.

The lower class folks do not understand much of this, and they are fed a pile of crap every election cycle about how it isn't their fault, that "rich people" are taking it from them. Some of them buy it, and some of them are smart enough to realize that they can start climbing the ladder. I have a nephew who comes from a terrible background, just a sorry family, and they did nothing to help this kid see his way out of the trailer park, even though he lucked out in the brains department. He went to Clemson, got a EE degree, and had no idea of how to interview for a job, what's appropriate to ask, talk about, etc. He is making more money than any of his family ever did, but if hadn't been for my sister and her husband, he wouldn't even have proper glasses prescriptions, or a suit to wear to his first interview.

The point I am making is that making money and having money, can not be equally distributed. It goes against human nature. The fact that tax laws have been largely written by Democrats for the last 60 years should be advertised more often. Republicans have lowered percentages, and Bush eliminated the lower bracket in his tax cuts, so I don't see how that hurt poor people. I am not going to assert that Republicans have been good stewards of money, or that there haven't been some Democrats who were good on budgetary constraints, I am just tired of the whole "unfairness" argument. You just can't legislate that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's what I think: People who come from upper middle class

Apr 16, 2014, 10:19 AM

Agreed on much of that. I don't know that Dems are more responsible than Pubs for the tax laws, though.

Based on number of years in control of Congress, and when

Apr 16, 2014, 10:30 AM

tax laws were addressed.

Re: Based on number of years in control of Congress, and when

Apr 16, 2014, 10:48 AM

Sure, but the Pubs controlled the House when Obamacare was passed. Who wrote Obamacare?

No doubting your sincerity, but I think you'd really need to scrutinize the laws to know how much pull each party had with each law. Which neither of us are likely to ever want to do.

No one thinks that Republicans wrote most of tax law, but

Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 AM

even if that was the case, what have the Dem periods of control wrought? Massive fairness? No. Just more of the same.

"No one thinks that."

Apr 16, 2014, 12:13 PM

On this topic, I have no idea what everyone thinks or no one thinks. If you have any facts, I'd be interested. Otherwise I'll keep this in the category of Unknown.

OK, who wrote The Great Society legislation and tax law, and

Apr 16, 2014, 12:37 PM

then the ACA and Judge Roberts' subsequently ruled tax law?

Re: OK, who wrote The Great Society legislation and tax law, and

Apr 16, 2014, 1:47 PM

The Great Society period saw the top marginal tax rate fall more than any time in history, 20 percentage points, while President Johnson was in office.

So, I mean, you're REALLY going to have to define your terms about which laws you're really opposed to, and when they were enacted, and who wrote them and who voted for them.

That's not exactly what I was referring to.

Apr 16, 2014, 2:14 PM

It is a bit disingenuous to only refer to the top rate when we speak of the Great Society legislation.

You of all people.

Re: That's not exactly what I was referring to.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:16 PM

I completely agree, but my point is that it's an extremely complicated issue that can't be boiled down to one party being more responsible.

Another example is the tax act passed during the Reagan administration. Was that a Democratic bill or a Republican one? Of course the answer is that both parties were very involved in it.

Re: That's not exactly what I was referring to.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:21 PM

was this the tax policy that proposed that spending more than we collect would create a looming debt over our collective heads of the middle class that would increase productivity and profits at the top?

it is working well so far.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the nature of a progressive tax system.

Apr 16, 2014, 8:32 AM

The alternative is to raise taxes on the poor and cut taxes for the rich, which admittedly a lot of Republicans would like to do.

Also, this only refers to federal income taxes. The top 10% have other sources of income that don't come from a payroll.

You know what else isn't fair...

Apr 16, 2014, 8:36 AM

Seriously? Even the Communists couldn't make an even

Apr 16, 2014, 8:55 AM

distribution.

To say it's merely uneven is a gross understatement.***

Apr 16, 2014, 9:03 AM

What is it that keeps that 40% where they are?

Apr 16, 2014, 6:53 PM

Are you in that group? If not, how did you get out or, avoid that group all together?

Top 10% own ~75% of the wealth...and we will never

Apr 17, 2014, 11:49 AM [ in reply to You know what else isn't fair... ]

possibly relate to that level of wealth. Makes you hate life a little doesn't it?

To be in the top 10% you need to make about $120k.

Apr 17, 2014, 11:51 AM

You can't relate to someone who makes $120k?

null

I still think those numbers are low, but yes, I can relate

Apr 17, 2014, 11:55 AM

to someone making $120k. I cannot relate to someone making $250k+ plus benefits/stock options/bonuses/etc

Re: To be in the top 10% you need to make about $120k.

Apr 17, 2014, 12:46 PM [ in reply to To be in the top 10% you need to make about $120k. ]

Top 10% of taxpayers or top 10% of income earners or top 10% of US citizens?

The website describes it as "top 10% of income earners" and

Apr 17, 2014, 1:24 PM

the $ value is listed as Adjusted Gross Income.

null

Re: The website describes it as "top 10% of income earners" and

Apr 17, 2014, 2:19 PM

Gotcha. Looks like I'm in the top 5%. Oh no! Time for a flat tax.

He to whom much is given, much is required.***

Apr 16, 2014, 10:27 AM

And the central argument that seems to prevail is

Apr 16, 2014, 10:34 AM

a lot of people think that a single percentage would cover that, and another lot of people think that the upper incomes should pay a higher percentage.

I maintain that you will never get a simple Flat Rate in the United States, there are too many vested in the current system and gaming it to ever allow that to happen.

If you get a W-2, you're effed.

Most, if not all, in the .1% do not get a w-2***

Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM

Yes, that's what I meant. Not many in the underground

Apr 16, 2014, 2:23 PM

economies do, either. The law-abiding citizens are the ones who get W-2's, and if you have two professional incomes, the AMT is coming for you, regardless of your deductions, dreams, or good intentions.

"Given" lol***

Apr 16, 2014, 1:58 PM [ in reply to He to whom much is given, much is required.*** ]

GO TIGERS!!

Re: This is not fair.

Apr 16, 2014, 1:53 PM

I actually want to have enough money that it would take me 50 life times to spend, not because I need it, just as a way to keep score.

#.1%

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm so confused, you cannot even possibly relate to the

Apr 17, 2014, 11:41 AM

top 1%. They're mostly all corrupt, greedy, and evil people who have fought their way to the top to make $80mil a year and live a life of opulence.

So why do you want them to pay less taxes? They need to pay more as it is as tax laws allow them to find every loophole they can to not pay as much as they're already supposed to.

You need to make $388k to be in the top 1%

Apr 17, 2014, 11:47 AM

According to Kiplinger:

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/taxes/T054-C000-S001-where-do-you-rank-as-a-taxpayer.html

null

Those numbers seem low to me.***

Apr 17, 2014, 11:50 AM

They are already carrying the vast majority of the water.

Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 AM [ in reply to I'm so confused, you cannot even possibly relate to the ]

Just deep cut the spending, already.

It's very

Apr 17, 2014, 6:19 PM

colorful.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic