Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is a speed limit?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

What is a speed limit?

Jun 25, 2020, 5:09 AM

Does one drive the speed limit only to protect themselves?

If you were the only person driving the speed limit, and people were going 20 over all around you... would that make you safer ? Or would it make them A-holes?

Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is a speed limit?

Jun 25, 2020, 5:50 AM

I’m about to hit I 85 in a few minutes. I’m thinking A Holes is a proper description.

Jun 25, 2020, 4:01 PM

Were you texting and driving? =o)
Bad Tardog, bad Tardog.

Arbitrary

Jun 25, 2020, 6:27 AM

Speed limits are arbitrary and only apply to law-abiding citizens.

Since we're no longer a country that enforces the rule of law you can probably do whatever speed you want without any repercussions.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Arbitrary

Jun 25, 2020, 6:30 AM

They need revenue.

Jun 25, 2020, 6:32 AM [ in reply to Arbitrary ]

I think it may be the only laws they are enforcing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 6:42 AM

You might be right.

When lawlessness finally creeps it way into my neck of the woods I plan on taking advantage of it by breaking every law I don't happen to agree with. Reckless drivers are at the top of my list. They'll either get beat up, or have their vehicles wrecked. It's gonna be a hoot!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

10 mph is the cushion.

Jun 25, 2020, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Arbitrary ]

You can safely drive 9mph over. At 10mph over the fine gets high enough to not waste the cops time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then don't drive through Hall County Ga on the 4th of July

Jun 25, 2020, 8:31 AM

I learnt my lesson.

Jun 25, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Arbitrary ]

I've found myself wondering why any of us worry about something as mundane as following the speed limit when thousands are allowed to burn, loot, assault, murder and destroy without repercussion. I mean, what's the point of having police if they are going to literally stand there and watch all of that happen and do nothing to stop it. Because its hard to imagine someone driving 15 over being a threat to society that must be immediately stopped, ticketed and fined if none of that other stuff is worth addressing. Maybe if we got BLM bumper stickers we could drive however we wanted. Talk about privilege.

Jun 25, 2020, 6:35 AM

I drive a lot in my job (35K a year) so I drive the speed limit to avoid getting a ticket/paying the fine and thus incurring higher insurance premiums.

Last ticket I've received was on my way to a Y league basketball game in lovely Simpsonville 44 in a 35 in 1992.

Jun 25, 2020, 6:40 AM

The last speeding ticket I got was almost 30 years ago driving to Clemson for my freshman year. I was in Oklahoma going 98. My Mom was sleeping in the passenger seat. She was pretty mad.

Dang, barely got me beat

Jun 25, 2020, 7:01 AM

96 in a 70 just outside of Orangeburg

I probably beat all of you guys but no proof

Jun 25, 2020, 7:32 AM

the patrolman in Union County couldn't even tell how fast I was going but it took him 8 miles to catch up to me and I didn't even know he was back there coming after me or I could have easily turned onto a side road and avoided the ticket. (1973 Corvette - over 100 MPH -Yep, just call me reckless Reckless.... and stupid)

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: What is a speed limit? ]

That’s hilarious !

I got pulled 96 in a 70 with mom asleep In the passenger seat too! I was 15 years old and going to pick up my brother from Chapel Hill ??

I subscribe to the George Carlin theory of drivers

Jun 25, 2020, 6:55 AM

Whenever I'm driving down the road, everyone in front of me is an idiot and everyone behind me is a moron....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Jun 25, 2020, 7:28 AM

Considering all the curves (and potholes) in our upstate roads, most of the speed limits around here seem to actually take safety into consideration. That being said, I was pretty irritated last week when I was behind a stinkin' golf cart going 17 for nearly a mile on one of those curvy roads where you couldn't see far enough to go around!

Jun 25, 2020, 10:08 AM

If it didn't have a license plate, you should have called 911.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it didn't have a license plate,

Jun 30, 2020, 7:42 AM

I'm guessing he didn't have the $5 golf cart permit either.

Re: What is a P&R bored?

Jun 25, 2020, 7:35 AM

You wouldn’t know would you???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 7:52 AM

I can’t drive 55.....so I stay on interstates mostly.....let her rip.....Go Tigers!!!

To avoid a fine. If there was no speed limit, I would likely

Jun 25, 2020, 8:17 AM

drive faster than I do.

I would drive cautiously though, taking care of myself...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To avoid a fine. If there was no speed limit, I would likely

Jun 25, 2020, 8:55 AM

Speed limit. Don’t look for cops, don’t think about cops, don’t worry about cops. It’s relaxing. I’d go faster if allowed. Been on the Autobahn, back then they had sections with no limit (not sure about now). My rental car wasn’t much of a car, but it would still do 230 KPH (just over 140). While doing 230 I still had cars come by me like I was nailed to the ground. Autobahn lanes are wider than interstate lanes and the road is better maintained imo. Traffic laws are also better enforced. If the cops see you blocking the passing lane on the Autobahn you will absolutely get a ticket. Tailgating? Ticket. If you break down on the Autobahn? Ticket.

Jun 25, 2020, 9:02 AM

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/5939082240/hBD46EE7F/i-wonder-what-the-posted-speed-limit-is

Jun 25, 2020, 9:17 AM

I got charged for speeding once and I asked the officer if the speed limit applied when you saw the speed limit sign or when you got to it. He didn't know but I got charged anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2020, 9:52 AM

An arbitrary number.....

Jun 25, 2020, 11:30 AM

What the fastlane is for right? However, SC is an absolute speed law state meaning 1 mph over the posted limit can get you pulled. That being said, most of the time if you keep it at 10 and under the posted limit you'll be ok.

Although, i wouldn't test the small town cops....they tend to be a bit gung ho when it comes to enforcing the speed limit.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:04 PM

Many years ago, me and the driver of a loaded semi, got pulled over by a city cop in Tavares, FL. Both of us had stopped for a red light, In front of me was a car with one of those "build your favorite body on the chassis". My wife and I was admiring his handiwork. The light changed and he sped off as if he was shot from a cannon. I started off followed by the semi. Sirens wailed immediately and in two blocks me and the truck driver were pulled over. Me and the truck driver were standing there talking with the cop. The cop accused me of going 50 MPH in a 35 MPH zone. Then he turned to the truck driver and accused him of trying to pass me. The truck driver told the cop, "look at that light, two blocks back. I have a loaded truck and there is no way I could get to over 50 MPH and pass this gentleman". The cop realized he had no leg to stand on so he told us if we wanted to speed, do it on the open highway.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone will be safer

Jun 25, 2020, 1:23 PM

if you wear a mask while driving. Stops you from spitting out the window.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s a SCHEME of the Gubmint

Jun 25, 2020, 1:30 PM

to steal more money from citizens without raising taxes.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Out on the Interstates, it appears the speed limit is a

Jun 30, 2020, 8:56 AM

starting point to which you add at least 10 mph, then set the cruise. Being an Engineering type, I actually did a test awhile back. I set my cruise on the speed limit, which was 70 mph. I then counted how many cars passed me, and how many I passed, until I got to 100 total.

97 cars passed me, and I passed 3. And one of those was slowing down to take an exit.

About the only thing you CAN be sure of, if someone is in fact driving at the speed limit, they will have their vehicle always in the LEFT lane, blocking the faster traffic, and refuse to pull to the right. ^%$#@!

I personally try to go with the flow of traffic. If that is 10 mph over the limit on average, that is what I drive. These days, the cops mostly look for that guy in the Beemer (or the rusty old Toyota Tercel) who is going at least 10 mph faster than EVERYBODY else.

That guy in the rusty Tercel gets around, I swear I have seen it in every state in the onion that I have visited. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic