Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What Do You Want For Christmas and ........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

What Do You Want For Christmas and ........

Dec 16, 2018, 2:53 PM

what are you going to give?

With our own children it is never a problem of knowing what they want, usually they have given us a list a mile long and we, as parents, usually know what they need so "want" and "need" factor into what Santa plans to have in his bag. Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren sometimes present a different situation, at least ours did. My wife, known to the Grandchildren as Meo, would ask them what they wanted and invariably their answer, "Meo. I don't know". She had the perfect response for that answer. "If you don't tell me, you're going to get underwear". Now we're getting somewhere. Well, the grandchildren are grown and have their own families now. Meo is no longer with us but I am now asking the Great Grands what they want and I get the same response their parents gave when they were young, To make a long story short, we never had to give underwear as a Christmas present but we still gat a laugh every Christmas.

What are you going to give? From the perspective of a senior citizen I would like to offer some suggestions for those of you who have elderly parents and/or grandparents. If they are like me, they really have no need or possibly don't want a gift that will sit on a shelf, take up space and require constant dusting. At our age if we desperately need or want something, we go out and buy it, We don't wait for Christmas because we may not be around that long. The only exception for items that can be placed on a shelf is photos. Family photos, and of each child is always a treasure and gives us older people something to brag about when a friend stops by. A roll of 100 Forever stamps makes a nice gift. If they have a land line, add minutes to their phone.

If you have children and grandchildren, have them write a note, perhaps have them make some remark about something they remember and how much they love that person, Well, you get the idea. Words, alone, sometimes makes the best gift we can give. When my Great Grands are on the phone every one is saying at the same time, "Papa Joe ! Papa Joe ! Papa Joe !". And everyone at the same time trying to tell me something I can't decipher. Girls and Boys ---- those are words no money can buy.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What Do You Want For Christmas and ........

Dec 16, 2018, 3:01 PM

Joe21, your perspective is golden as is your ability to share it.

I am grateful that you are a well-spoken part of my life!!!

Thank you for giving yourself to us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 3:10 PM

Well stated.

Thanks Joe!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 3:33 PM

A lot of truth in what you say. I have but one grandson and I get the most joy out of hearing of his accomplishments and seeing him do well in school and the communities. No gift is ever greater than seeing your offsprings be good people and do the right things. Not every family can say that and I hope all tigernetters and their families have that great blessing.

Merry Christmas Joe, and friends.

Time for me to finish my dusting!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 3:35 PM

Thanks Joe for summing up what us old tigers are sitting around thinking about. Your posts are always a great read. I never thought I would live long enough to have Great Grand kids to try and influence.
Hope all of you have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 10:10 PM

Great post Joe. I would only add, give the gift of time. In today's rush rush world, most everyone appreciates time spent together. Not just a quick ' quality time', but actual time.

Have your children spend time just talking to their grandparents or other family members. Turn off the TV, put away the computers, turn your phones on mute, step away from the kitchen. Pull out a board game or a deck of cards and enjoy each others company.

Also, as CW said in his acceptance speech, do something for someone who can't do something for you.

Dec 16, 2018, 10:15 PM

You are so right. I appreciate that my mother and father are still with me. I don’t miss a day that I don’t call and tell them that I love them. We have 10 grands that age from 5 to 19. The younger ones are so easier to please. Christmas Eve at the house is a blessing Steve and I enjoy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Joe21, your perspective is so on target.

Dec 17, 2018, 11:51 PM

Thanks for reminding us what we can give to our family and friends.

Merry Christmas from our Family to Yours!!!!

Re: Papa Joe ! Papa Joe ! Papa Joe !

Dec 18, 2018, 7:46 AM

I want to talk to Papa Joe myself, and we haven't even met! Thank you for all the wisdom you share with the Clemson side of the family! We love you!

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic