Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system

Sep 3, 2018, 1:32 PM

Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system

The Clemson coaching staff hasn’t made it a secret that the Tigers will play two quarterbacks in Saturday’s primetime showdown at Texas A&M. What we don’t know is whether it’s a true two-quarterback system, a platoon system, or merely an opportunity for freshman Trevor Lawrence to get valuable snaps in a game environment. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system

Sep 3, 2018, 1:37 PM

I seriously do not see the problem with BOTH playing. One runs like the wind, and jukes like a waterbug, and the other one throws lasers that only his WR can catch. I almost feel sorry for any DC that has to manage a game plan for that.

Both of our QB's can run and throw, so a DC still has to be extremely careful not to stack the box, or to just rush 3. They might get burned either way.

we could switch their numbers to confuse everybody

Sep 3, 2018, 2:16 PM

they won't be able to tell who's who

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we could switch their numbers to confuse everybody

Sep 3, 2018, 2:25 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 3, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to we could switch their numbers to confuse everybody ]

I believe that there is no rule that says they cant both wear the same number as long as they are not on the field at the same time. So the only plays we could not run would a wing T or similar where one was acting as a fullback or a halfback while the other was the QB. KB could not run Statue of Liberty to TL and then TL complete a bomb to WRU Team mate if they both had the same number.

Sep 3, 2018, 4:26 PM

Spurrier did that to us by playing both Stephen Garcia and Stephon Gilmore (both #5) at QB. The two look nothing alike and Gilmore mostly ran wildcat, but it worked.

Except for the fact that it's obvious what we are doing

Sep 3, 2018, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system ]

when each player is in the game.

With KB, it will be read option with a likely QB keeper or short pass.

With TL, it will be a likely pass, with a possible handoff mixed in.

Nothing wrong with either one, but the "versatility" of this two QB system is overrated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

A lot of that doesn't seem to match up with the playcalling

Sep 3, 2018, 4:05 PM

yesterday. KB threw deep 25% of his attempts, completing two. KB's designed carries were also down in favor of ETN and Choice, and Feast when he came in, at least compared to last year.

Lawrence was throwing a little more often, with a little more mid-range over short / screen passes, but overall it seemed fairly balanced. It doesn't seem as black and white as many want to portray, at least after game one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of that doesn't seem to match up with the playcalling

Sep 3, 2018, 4:59 PM

Stats were almost identical. TL had a slightly better day passing, but KB had a nice TD run.

KB looks a lot better on his deep ball. He had two nice deep strikes, including the TD to Rogers.

Play calling was super conservative, which seemed to affect KB more than TL. TL had some Heisman-worthy handoffs.

KB is dangerous even without great stats or an NFL arm. All he does is win. A KB offense would feature a lot of QB running (option and designed), dink-and-dunk passes, and the occasional deep strike.

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/A-Look-At-What-Makes-Clemson-QB-Kelly-Bryant-Efficient-and-Dangerous-111268025/

Without his legs, KB is limited. DW could win on one leg, KB can't. We saw this when he had the ankle injury against Syracuse, against Alabama, and in the spring game.

TL has an NFL arm and he's barely out of high school. TL is a decent runner if he has to be. TL's arm allows us to fully take advantage of being #WRU. The pass then opens up the run, which takes advantage of our backs.

Can you imagine being a defensive coordinator trying to plan for these two?

Re: Except for the fact that it's obvious what we are doing

Sep 3, 2018, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Except for the fact that it's obvious what we are doing ]

By the end of the season, I expect our 2 QB system to look like this:

TL will be the "starter" who goes HUNH and gets us the lead.
KB will be the "closer" to run the ball, eat clock, and keep their offense on the bench.

Sep 3, 2018, 3:24 PM

I think some of us have tried to say this for awhile.

Lol..this board will turn faster than an ETN look back on TD

Sep 3, 2018, 4:30 PM

If the T&M game is even close with rotating QBs...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 5:21 PM

You tigers are in a world of hurt if Bryant goes down. Trevor is much a runner....not to the extent the clemson offense has depended on.

Sep 3, 2018, 5:22 PM

You tigers are in a world of hurt if Bryant goes down. Trevor is much a runner....not to the extent the clemson offense has depended on.

Trevor isn't.....

What? Are you drunk?***

Sep 3, 2018, 5:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Sadly, he is dead sober...***

Sep 3, 2018, 6:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system ]

what did hell just say?? smh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

130 teams have issues if their starting QB goes down

Sep 3, 2018, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system ]

there are 4 or 5 who will have LESS issues than the others. Clemson (and probably UGA) are in that group.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Jeff Scott defines Clemson's two-quarterback system ]

Just like your puppies if Fromm goes down...
??????

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 7:36 PM

If you really had to go back and watch the tape to remember who was qb on what plays, I’m calling bs! There’s a completely different look, and feel when each qb is out there. It’s about exactly as different as Tua and Hurts. The cheerleaders see Bryant as improved. The realist see Bryant struggles to score 17 on FBS Furman, while an 18 year old freshman had a 3X higher QB rating with just a few months of experience in the system. KB is on his 5th year. He needed two 4th down conversions. One of them he failed. It’s as evident as it was when Watson was a freshman. Lawrence deserves to start. The offense runs better. Why? Because the defense can’t cheat like they do on KB. The LB’s have to stay back, and watch for a TE releasing into a route, or a RB releasing into a wheel route. Where KB has already pulled it down and ran before the wheel route could even develope. He pulled it down just as the receivers broke open Saturday. Just as he did last year. Same KB. No growth. I was called names for calling for DW to start over Cole Stoudt. Called a Coot. Not a real Tiger fan. Funny thing is, after about game three, most of you guys joined me. And, realized if Watson had played against Ga, and FSU the whole way his freshman year, who knows what would have happened?! The same rings true here. You can’t handcuff true talent like this. KB is a good kid. Just like Cole Stoudt was. KB would serve the team better as a WR, or RB at this point though. His running ability can’t be denied. But, an elite QB he isn’t.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2018, 8:14 AM

I know Watson was a special talent but we could have won with Cole Stoudt if Chad Morris had been on his game that year! He had to leave so Elliot and Scott could put together a non predictable game plan that fit him!!! Thus the thorough spanking of Oklahoma in the bowl game!

Kelly is a #### good quarterback! If Trevor wasn’t in town probably a hiesman candidate! I saw a great freshman play without question but I like Kelly’s skill set and improved passing! Unless there are injuries or a clear separation I look at them as equals with different skill sets! Kelly has worked hard to improve and without any setbacks he should start!

Not sure why people say he should be a reciever! Sounds like somebody started that and everybody jumped on the band wagon! The passes that everybody whined about in the spring, he nailed in the game! TL on the other hand overthrew a few! Maybe we should move him to reciever! Lol

Either way the future is bright! Kelly put his time in and I’m pullin for him to excell! He’s a great athlete and a great leader! Also a character guy! Get the freshman plenty of playing time but let Kelly have his day! He deserves it and has earned it!!! We will win either way!!!
Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic