Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Were the UNC jokes really classless?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Were the UNC jokes really classless?

Sep 30, 2019, 6:09 PM

I mean, I don’t think they were funny, but I also don’t think it is anything that the university needs to apologize for.

I have seen that same joke teams play when the Golden State Warriors have visited their arenas to make fun of everyone jumping on their bandwagon and I’ve also seen it done to Cubs fans after they won the World Series. I get the joke but in the college setting it doesn’t feel right because many people who are fans are also graduates or have been fans for a long time and have a deep connection with the team.

Again the joke is funny in professional sports where there are often times lots of bandwagon fans but it’s not great in college. Still nothing so outrageous that an apology should be given.

Message was edited by: CTiger18®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.

Sep 30, 2019, 6:19 PM

Unless there were some truly offensive comments... the ones I have seen were just fine. Not really all that funny, but not offensive at all.

Re: I agree.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:39 PM

I agree too. Pretty harmless stuff. You have to be able to take a joke or two and laugh along with 'em. Just seems part of the whole rivalry thing and (college) sports in general.

I will add, though - Sam Howell never makes that 1st TD throw without massive holding going on (and not called). But that's football.

Isn't their whole curriculum classless? Not just for

Sep 30, 2019, 6:23 PM

athletes, remember?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't think it was offensive or out of line

Sep 30, 2019, 6:53 PM

just pretty dumb. Bandwagoning fans is much less of a thing in college sports than in the pros.

It was stupid and pointless

Sep 30, 2019, 7:00 PM

Have you seen anything said that questions

Sep 30, 2019, 7:18 PM

Someone's intelligence or weight. I have not. I have seen stuff implied that they were bandwagon fans and that is it. Again, not funny, but not offensive at all.

Re: Have you seen anything said that questions

Sep 30, 2019, 7:26 PM

Sep 30, 2019, 10:02 PM

That was the only one I found truly funny.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Have you seen anything said that questions ]

You must be tarhole bb fan

Unless you were one of the people embarrassed by it

Sep 30, 2019, 7:10 PM

you might think it's ok.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I was at a Blueman group event once.

Sep 30, 2019, 7:20 PM

Got singled out on the screen with a comment about being the perfect specimen... for the missing link. Had me stand up and everyone was looking. Thought it was pretty funny. And I thought that was more demeaning than any comment I saw on the screen.

Re: I was at a Blueman group event once.

Sep 30, 2019, 8:11 PM

You were ok, but there are so many different personality types. Someone else might have been totally embarrassed and humiliated--and I don't consider that being a weakness.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: I was at a Blueman group event once.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:06 PM [ in reply to I was at a Blueman group event once. ]

Are you arrogant enough to think people care what happened to you at a show? This isnt about you so why say anything?

Re: Were the UNC jokes really classless?

Sep 30, 2019, 7:15 PM

offensive ??? no

classless ??? yes

I was there and think it is much ado

Sep 30, 2019, 7:31 PM

about nothing. They were not funny but not a big deal.

The man bun one guy was wearing did offend me though.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Sep 30, 2019, 7:37 PM

It was a stupid way for a prestigious university to get into a lawsuit over libel or emotional distress. Not something a University should participate in.

fat guy ok stupid women probably not

Sep 30, 2019, 7:38 PM

today

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 7:54 PM

Kinda lame to me. Now winning by one point isn’t so bad. They came so close, but nope!

Sep 30, 2019, 7:56 PM

Being on the Jumbotron, to me, gives the appearance of something from the university. I think the school should be held to a higher standard than their fans. I think an apology was the right response and they gave one along with a statement. If they had not made one it would not have bothered me but I think better of them that they did.

Absolutely not. My goodness some people are sensitive. And if UNC wants to apologize,

Sep 30, 2019, 7:56 PM

they should start with apologizing for making a mockery of both their academics and fair play with their fake class program. THAT is what I find offensive. This video board thing was just lighthearted fun.

null

For the old folks - Virginia Pep Band

Sep 30, 2019, 7:59 PM

I am old enough that I attended Clemson-UVA games way back in 1984 and 1988. The Virginia Pep Band was irreverant and quite entertaining. While they were poking fun at Clemson, it was humorous. Worth sticking around for the halftime show.

I guess it helped that that was still the time when Clemson had never lost to UVA. They could make some jokes and we would win the game. UVA did ban the Pep Band in 2003. Early political correctness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Pep_Band

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2003/04/25/pep-bands-last-stand/97195ae6-c334-4c62-b93e-f815b76353b7/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most UNC fans don’t know where the term “Tar Heel” comes from***

Sep 30, 2019, 8:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 8:51 PM

Only one really, the reference re: the Fridge to an overweight Clemson fan. I was there and just thought they did it every week to opposing fans. Some were actually funny. My wife is UNC fan and thought they were rude.

Sep 30, 2019, 8:51 PM

Only one really, the reference re: the Fridge to an overweight Clemson fan. I was there and just thought they did it every week to opposing fans. Some were actually funny. My wife is UNC fan and thought they were rude.

Sep 30, 2019, 9:40 PM

Nope it was a joke and I’m more embarrassed by our fans tbh. What has happened to college football? This is why CFB is the best, rivalries, jabs, taking shots is part of why it’s so great.

It’s funny because there is a shred of truth in it, we do now have a ton of bandwagon fans, a lot of people have no idea Clemson is in SC.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:21 PM

When in the H3ll have you ever seen this in college??? Pros maybe but not college. Plus if Clemson had done this crap ESPN would be playing this and dogging us every two minutes. F ick UNC

Sep 30, 2019, 9:59 PM

By simply looking, how can you tell if someone is bandwagon ?

Sep 30, 2019, 10:11 PM

Not classless, but unwise. It isn't a good idea to put a joke with an image of a fan on the jumbotron. Classless is The States headline about Hilinski's Hope. Those are two VERY different things.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:42 PM

We aren't talking about class as in elegance or grace or decency. It's the fact that it was UNC (a place where they don't have to go to class) that makes it "classless."

What do you call a Turd Hole baby?

Sep 30, 2019, 10:11 PM

.....a little schit.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They weren't classy....I know that much***

Sep 30, 2019, 10:23 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2019, 11:38 AM

CTiger18® said:

I mean, I don’t think they were funny, but I also don’t think it is anything that the university needs to apologize for.

I have seen that same joke teams play when the Golden State Warriors have visited their arenas to make fun of everyone jumping on their bandwagon and I’ve also seen it done to Cubs fans after they won the World Series. I get the joke but in the college setting it doesn’t feel right because many people who are fans are also graduates or have been fans for a long time and have a deep connection with the team.

Again the joke is funny in professional sports where there are often times lots of bandwagon fans but it’s not great in college. Still nothing so outrageous that an apology should be given.

Message was edited by: CTiger18®

No

Oct 1, 2019, 11:53 AM

Nothing offensive or classless about it. We are officially a nation of the offended. Humor is not allowed any more. Sorry.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic