Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Were any of you fans here for the Hootie Ingram Era?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Were any of you fans here for the Hootie Ingram Era?

Jun 27, 2020, 11:38 AM

Because if you're still here as a fan you deserve some commendation for your dedication.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Were any of you fans here for the Hootie Ingram Era?

Jun 27, 2020, 11:50 AM

Yes, Unfortunately I witnessed those years!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2020, 11:54 AM

very forgettable and yet they are not. kind of like a bad accident you see and cant shake from your memory

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2020, 11:53 AM

Up the middle, up the middle, pass, punt!!

He ran the 4 down offense while at Clemson

1. Right tackle
2. Left tackle
3. Up the middle
4. Punt

Not very effective, but he did help bring us that wonderful Tiger Paw.

Re: He ran the 4 down offense while at Clemson

Jun 27, 2020, 11:56 AM

Paw happened during his tenure. He did nothing to cause it. Give him credit for losing football and stopping the team touching the Rock and coming down the Hill

Jun 27, 2020, 12:11 PM

Do a little research. Hootie had a lot to do with the paw.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2020, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: He ran the 4 down offense while at Clemson ]

Coach Ingram had a lot to do with the Tiger paw. When he arrived at Clemson, he suggested that Clemson needed to brand itself differently from other schools with the Tiger mascot. Dr. Edwards agreed to get Henderson Advertising to looked into this. They came up with the Tiger paw idea. Coach Ingram liked it and pushed for it. Tate’s Lock did not like it. Coach Howard who was still AD was not sure about it until he saw it on the side of a helmet and then liked it. Coach Ingram went to the stores in Clemson and promoted the Tiger paw. The only store that liked it was Judge Keller and they bought a lot of merchandise with Tiger paws on it and they sold very well. Other stores then got on board.

On the Hill, until the West end zone dressing rooms were built in 1970, the team walked from Fike to do warm ups and ran down the hill about 50 minutes before the game when not many people were even in the stands. The team entered the field just before the game from the west end zone.

With the new dressing rooms in the west end zone after Coach Ingram arrived, there was no need to run down the Hill to do warm ups. BUT, for Coach Ingrams last game against the gamecocks, at the suggestion of then player, Ben Anderson, coach Ingram got school buses to take the team to run down the Hill just before the game. Clemson won 7-6 on a very cold and rainy day. So, the beginning of running down the hill , JUST BEFORE THE GAME , actually had its beginning in November 1972.

Additional, Coach Ingram had the practice fields moved from the field across from Fike to their preset location which has proven to be a great move.

So, the record may not have been very good but Coach Ingram did some good things for Clemson.

Jun 27, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to He ran the 4 down offense while at Clemson ]

enots32082 said:

1. Right tackle
2. Left tackle
3. Up the middle
4. Punt

Not very effective, but he did help bring us that wonderful Tiger Paw.

He was here but credit goes to Henderson Advertising .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A number of people deserve credit for the Paw

Jun 27, 2020, 5:20 PM

The operative word above was "help". :)

I was a frosh in '72, Hootie's last season. Clearly, not a good year for Tiger football. Lack of talent, leadership, imagination, you name it. Dull football. Red Parker only a bit better. Charlie Pell led us out of the wilderness. And then came Danny, and the rest was history.

Jun 27, 2020, 11:55 AM

Yep, I was in school when Hootie was hired as the football coach after Howard. Not a great coach at 12 & 21. I'll tell you an interesting story that probably hasn't been out there much. It seem there was a rabid fan who thought it would be great to have at the entrance to the hill on the sidewalk the slogan "Hootie's Holler". So the fan inscribed the slogan on a piece of marble and put it in the sidewalk. Needless to say this didn't go over real well and it was removed real quick.

Jun 27, 2020, 11:58 AM

Something good came out of it -- THE PAW!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2020, 12:03 PM

Coincidence. Not his doing

Dugatiger was.***

Jun 27, 2020, 1:44 PM

Hand raised *

Jun 27, 2020, 1:50 PM

Nm

Jun 27, 2020, 1:55 PM

Yes, he punted on 3rd down several times. Yes, 3rd down!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many times it was up the middle, up the middle, punt.

Jun 27, 2020, 2:04 PM

I wonder if there's been a third down punt since he left?

Many times it was up the middle, up the middle, punt.

Jun 27, 2020, 2:06 PM

I wonder if there's been a third down punt since he left?

I was there for the sad end of it. But, I flat out REFUSED

Jun 27, 2020, 7:41 PM

to put a bumper sticker on my car that said "I'm Hootin' for Hootie!" Aw Hail to the Naw on that. Sorry NOT. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yes - I was here for the last few of

Jun 27, 2020, 7:55 PM

Coach Howard too

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh yes - I was here for the last few of

Jun 28, 2020, 1:16 AM

Add me to that list too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jun 27, 2020, 9:57 PM

Yep but at that age I was blissfully unaware of things like who the coach was. Those were the days.

Jun 28, 2020, 5:26 AM

I was a student starting in 69 and got to see the last of Coach Howard's career and all of Hootie's. Hootie brought in the Tiger Paw concept from the University of Kentucky. What people do not realize about his time is 1970 was the First year for Tates. Also the beginning of Coach Ibrahim's Soccer program becoming a national power.

Jun 28, 2020, 7:45 AM

Yep. I'm wondering when my "oldtimers" disease will kick in so I can forget it.

If you went to every home game with Hootie and Hatfield

Jun 28, 2020, 10:40 AM

Clemson should donate a brink for you in Memorial Stadium in your name instead of you having to buy it.

I've often said the 45,000 that sat in the rain on October 16, 1993 in Death Valley in Hatfield's last year to see Clemson lose to Wake Forest should be given a 20% discount on season tickets for life.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2020, 10:18 PM

I've suffered and rejoiced since the PC game in 1955. I never quit on the team or coach but I suffered in silence and aloud over the years. This will be my 65 year if we play this year and I've missed very few home games over the years.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Full disclosure: My first impression of the tiger paw...

Jun 29, 2020, 8:34 AM

... was that it was the stupidest thing I had ever seen. Gimmicky, cheap, trite, silly. Such was the wisdom of a 10-year-old with very little marketing savvy. Let's just say that I have come around.

Re: Full disclosure: My first impression of the tiger paw...

Jun 29, 2020, 9:17 AM

But do you woo hoo?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic