Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Were You Satisfied With The Offensive Play Calling?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,455

Were You Satisfied With The Offensive Play Calling?

Oct 30, 2016, 10:40 AM

Anytime you dare to question something, especially when we are winning, you open yourself to attacks....so be it...

Although our CO-OC's have a great winning record, I don't think it makes them immune to asking some questions about play calling. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling for their heads, but I think some of the close games we have had are in due to some of the play calling. Granted, fumbles have also been a problem and I get it it, but some times I don't think the offense has been playing to it's strengths consistently, especially in the red zone.

I wonder what went into the decision on not pound Gallman a lot more, especially in the End Zone when I don't think he had a negative run....That Jumbo package is lethal.

I am always satisfied with a win, but that doesn't mean blind satisfaction with the status quo...

Let the flames begin

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Yes***

Oct 30, 2016, 10:42 AM

Yes.***

Oct 30, 2016, 10:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Were You Satisfied With The Offensive Play Calling?

Oct 30, 2016, 10:46 AM

Thought it was much more creative than previous games. I enjoyed seeing Watson running a bit more again

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They Were knocking down a lot of DW's Passes too

Oct 30, 2016, 10:48 AM

I meant to mention that in the OP...our Offesne is a little predictable..I noticed in the 4th Watson started pump-faking a lot more and that was a good adjustment

How involved is Dabo in play calling?

Oct 30, 2016, 10:46 AM

I'm thinking maybe too involved?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

37 points at one of the toughest environments in the country***

Oct 30, 2016, 10:47 AM

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I know..But don't you think we left some money on the table?***

Oct 30, 2016, 10:49 AM

Re: 37 points at one of the toughest environments in the country***

Oct 30, 2016, 11:17 AM [ in reply to 37 points at one of the toughest environments in the country*** ]

FSU defense is not great. Our offense goes into periods where play calling is just way too conservative and predictable.

Then we decide we want to play when the game gets close or we are losing.

That is an issue

Oct 30, 2016, 10:47 AM

I'm good, seems to have worked out.

Oct 30, 2016, 10:48 AM

In the beginning and toward the end of the game, yes. Maybe even the first and fourth quarter entirely. The 2 picks hurt the rhythm, but overall, I think play calling improved a bit. Some of the perceived improvement was due to the difference that Gallman makes.

Yes.

This isn't xbox. OC's sometimes call plays knowing that the play likely won't work, but will set up something down the road. And believe it or not, there are plenty of plays where Deshaun Watson is supposed to do something on the zone-read different from what he does, because he's human and misreads stuff. Or throws the exact same interception twice, because again, he's human.

So so, but it seems they are not as imaginative

This yr as last yr.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2016, 10:54 AM

Only 2 times I did not agree with.

The first we were up by 14 and got the ball on their 49 yard line and we throw a bomb that was incomplete. That got us out of our rhythm. We went 3 and out.
The other time we had the ball 2nd and goal on their 2 yard line and we throw the ball twice then kick a FG. I would have run it 3 times to get 2 yards.

But that is all I did not agree with. Nothing major at all.

Honestly I though it was one of our better games...

Oct 30, 2016, 11:00 AM

Using Williams on shorter pass routes when FSU was clearly expecting him to go deep getting LEgget into the flow, using DW's legs more ... I thought the calling was pretty solid.

I wish they hadn't called up those two INTs but perhaps they were setting up something later that they didn't need?

But I'm not sure how one complains about scoring 30-plus in Doak, both on the ground and in the air.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2016, 11:07 AM

Overall it was solid. But there were a few head scratchers where we seemed to be running DW consecutive times that I would have worked in Gallman.

I think it was the drive where we were up 14 and went 3 and out.

The first of the picks was just a great play by the DB. The receiver was open and he came off his man.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

play calling was limited due to FSU d-line playing well.

Oct 30, 2016, 11:11 AM

They gave us fits. The passes the were knocked down were a huge issue for us. It put us in 2nd and long repeatedly.

Do we have too many Weapons on Offense?

Oct 30, 2016, 11:12 AM

With so many weapons on the outside and with Gallman, do we have too many options to keep everyone in rhythm? I just wonder if we are trying to design too many plays to get everyone involved which hurts everyones timing with Watson. I think this may be why Watson has struggled at times this year is because he has six different receivers he is just to throw to so often. None of them are the same size and speed and no one runs the same exact routes.

My opinion but I believe we are so much better in the clutch then when we are running the regular O is because we condense the playbook and who we are looking to get involved. We focus on two or three key players and feed them and Watson gets in rhythm and he looks like he did last year.

With that said I think they will realize this come playoff time and we will see a much improved offense over the course of the game. We will limit who plays and we will limit the playbook since we will not have to worry about tendencies and developing player anymore.

Well, since you...

Oct 30, 2016, 11:15 AM

brought it up...No!

Most folks are going say, yes- Since we won.
But there were plenty of calls that didn't make sense.
But, oh well.

Other than the pass on 3rd and 1, yes.***

Oct 30, 2016, 11:21 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Play Calling?

Oct 30, 2016, 11:22 AM

??????

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 30, 2016, 11:25 AM

You're exactly right. And yes the play calling gets suspect after the "first 15" ######. If one play works then call it until it's stopped for all I care but at least get some continuity & rhythm going on offense.

Oct 30, 2016, 11:26 AM

Scripted. Not #####. Don't know how that happened

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,455
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic