Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't sweat the recruiting rankings... but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

I don't sweat the recruiting rankings... but...

May 30, 2018, 11:26 AM

It's hard to understand how (rightly so imo) people pointed to overall star average last year with our small class, but this year point to our current #5 rivals ranking that is one of the lower star averages in the top 20.

Read Mickeys front page letters section, and it caught my eye again there. I trust our coaches and won't start to question them on recruits until we start bringing in inferior athletes.

Go Tigers!!

*** Not sure how to reword this post, but this is meant to be a commentary on Clemson fans and their narratives, not on our coaches. I have no problem with what our staff is up to. I just see fans argue against something one year and for it the next.

Message was edited by: soywaker®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It's still too early to worry about it IMO

May 30, 2018, 11:30 AM

If some of these 3-stars with good offer sheets don't impress and move up after the big camps and their SR seasons of football I'll start to worry a little bit. Until then I'm happy to get a 3-star player that teams like Bama, UGA, Penn State, etc wanted.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, I trust the staff and carry no concern. Seriously.

May 30, 2018, 11:40 AM

It's just interesting how people last year pointed to our average rating arguing against higher number of takes, but this year while we are in that position, argue how good our class is with a lower average but higher number of takes.
Whatevs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Again, I trust the staff and carry no concern. Seriously.

May 30, 2018, 11:44 AM

Problem is you are comparing what people said at the end of last year's vs the beginning of this year's. Guys will change throughout the year as they play their senior season, so might be best to wait until the next season is over before comparing. Last year, people were talking about it after recruit's senior season...right now, you are comparing that to ratings after only their junior year, not senior. Apples to oranges comparison.

I think the point by most on here is look at the

May 30, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Again, I trust the staff and carry no concern. Seriously. ]

star ratings on national signing day not prior to summer camps when most of these guys are getting evaluated-- most of these guys have not been looked at/seriously evaluated at this point. Post-camp summer rankings will get them closer and then senior season/all-star games will result in additional changes and final rankings. Offers will tell a lot in the end.

Well a lot of fans are homers and will goal-post shift to

May 30, 2018, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Again, I trust the staff and carry no concern. Seriously. ]

fit whatever narrative makes them feel better. I don't think that's anything new.

To your point though, I think the real reason we are getting on more of these lower-rated players early is that the staff knows they need to take nearly twice as many players as they did last year. It's a little unfortunate that our recruiting cycles have become so imbalanced, but we have 25 scholarships open right now just from transfers plus the 20 SRs currently on the roster. That's not even accounting for Lawrence, Ferrell and others that are likely to leave. I think it's likely that we have 30+ scholarships available for 2019 and right now it doesn't seem like this is the best year to be facing that challenge.

I think most people are just glad we can take a full class.

May 30, 2018, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Again, I trust the staff and carry no concern. Seriously. ]

Other schools do it every year which boost their rankings. Nothing more IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't sweat the recruiting rankings... but...

May 30, 2018, 11:36 AM

I would suggest not questioning our coaches until they give you a real reason to question them. Until now all they have done is win 10+ games and multiple championships. You might have to wait a while.

On the recruiting question. We had to be very selective in past classes. Dabo has always done his own evaluations, but when you are only taking 1 guy at a position you can't offer everyone you would like. This year we can open up recruiting and include more guys at the top of the board. Recruits ranked at the top of the recruiting services like to wait and draw out recruiting. I think right now we are seeing the guys our staff wants, but may not carry the star rankings are committing early because Clemson is a true dream offer. Later after camps and Dabo starts allowing official visits, we will get our share of highly ranked recruits. Plus if our staff likes them they usually add a few starts.

null

There is nothing

May 30, 2018, 11:49 AM

Like getting good student athletes into your program who truly want to be here and nowhere else and allowing them to compete with each other for playing time! That appears to be the approach Coach S has and it seems to work! Only tnet would question this staff and that scares me. 98 % of the football programs in the country would like to be where we are now and yet, some complain. Or , even worse, stoop so low as to be concerned with the antics of the crowd in Columbia. Geee whiz,

May 30, 2018, 11:41 AM

It's a big class so there's going to be some lower ranked guys picked up for depth. The staff isn't doing spring official visits so they're planning on having a big season and picking up top guys later in the process.

I think you're making too much of the star averages to be honest. Of the guys outside the top 300, Constantin, Lay, and Johnson all look like very good upside guys who are likely to leap up the rankings pretty significantly. We may not grab as many five stars as last class but we're going to finish with a good number of high end guys.

any 3 star with an offer from Bama is...

May 30, 2018, 11:42 AM

...ok in my book.

Re: any 3 star with an offer from Bama is...

May 30, 2018, 6:45 PM

What if it's not really a committable offer?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2018, 11:53 AM

Our 3*s are better than any Coot 5*.

Well this much is for sure: they win more championships.

May 30, 2018, 12:09 PM

We all know you’re just jealous coot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's got to be photoshopped.

May 30, 2018, 6:48 PM

No way a little ole school in South Carolina could be that good.

But still not as awesome as 5th place rings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

May 30, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't sweat the recruiting rankings... but... ]

Would be interesting to compare our 3 stars to your 5 stars...If you had a 5 star..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2018, 3:18 PM

Oh wait, they do. The one we recruited for them. lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you care about recruiting ranking, then you shouldn’t

May 30, 2018, 12:45 PM

Care until the services do their final ranking in January. If you listen to what Coach Swinney has to say about his recruiting Philosophy and their evaluation process you’d have better understanding of why a lot of our current 3 star recruits will become 4 star and a few of our 4 star will become 5 star. Not all but a lot of the current players rated 4 star are more mature and have peaked as players, and Coach Swinney has said so several times. This has a lot to do with age and some of the rising seniors are still 16 and some are 19, (like Jake Bentley was if he’d played his last year of high school). Three years of age difference for high school kids is huge and there is a big difference in their maturity. A say all this to say don’t get caught up in individual rankings until after the all star games and the final rankings come out in January, remember these kids are 4 months away from taking their 1st snaps as a senior.

It's downtime.

May 30, 2018, 5:02 PM

We argue about everything. If there's no football news we'll find entertainment in something else. Imo, it's OK to love the rankings one year and hate them the next according to where Clemson falls. Just like the playoff, the first couple years we complained about the unfairness of the system with half of us calling for 8 to 64 teams being included.

The last couple years all the whining about the PO has decreased to a whisper. If we get left out the chit will hit the fan again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Super big class for us this year, and getting bigger...

May 30, 2018, 6:24 PM

It looks to me like the staff is trying to scoop up as early as possible select targets that they feel fit well here and that they can develop into dudes with lesser sense of urgency. Plenty of room left, and time, for more of the A #1's on their target list. We still have more spots left than last year's entire class size.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic