Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I HATE the slide rule.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

I HATE the slide rule.

Nov 11, 2018, 1:46 AM

I’ve seen 3 times today that a team made the first down but didn’t due to being marked down when you “start” your slide. What the heck is the purpose of that. If anything it’s going to cause more qb’s to get hurt because they HAVE to start their slide way later in order to get the first down. Anyways GO TIGERS!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I HATE the slide rule.

Nov 11, 2018, 1:50 AM

I was just thinking the same thing watching the Cal game. It's going to get more quarterbacks hurt.

I don't mind it, it they would flag it everytime...

Nov 11, 2018, 1:50 AM

a QB got hit during the slide. But they shouldn't let the QB take the hit, and then essentially penalize him yardage by moving it back to where he started the slide.

The rule is there to protect the QB and discourage him getting hit during the slide. So either flag the hits, or get rid of moving it back to the start of the slide.

How about this rules tweak?

Nov 11, 2018, 8:18 AM

If the QB is untouched during or immediately after the slide, the current spotting guidelines are used. But if a defensive player touches the QB, the ball is spotted where the QB actually goes down. Obviously, the normal PF rules would still apply.

I think TL had room tonight though

Nov 11, 2018, 1:53 AM

Re: I think TL had room tonight though

Nov 11, 2018, 8:10 AM

Same was said a few weeks ago. And yet here we are again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well then, why not give the abacus a try?

Nov 11, 2018, 2:48 AM

nm

LOL.......Was just about to post that I hated the slide rule

Nov 11, 2018, 7:15 AM

too........while in school.

Then again, most of our younger folks would have no idea what the pun meant!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL.......Was just about to post that I hated the slide rule

Nov 11, 2018, 8:05 AM

I still have my old slide rule. It was just a cheap plastic one. That thing was hard to learn to use. I think ALL new students should have to use one. I actually worked with a guy (Thai) that had an abacus in his office and could use it. I never learned to do that.

I disagree

Nov 11, 2018, 8:22 AM

They don't have to slide. If a QB needs to get to a certain yard marker then they are welcone to stay up and take the hit.

I do however agree with another poster that if they are going to be strict about the mark they need to start flagging contact on slides. I saw it a good bit across the slate yesterday with no calls.

Oh, Lowered...officials can't

Nov 11, 2018, 8:32 AM

Even interpret targeting and, apparently, the 'halo' properly. Now we want to add 'slide rule interpretation' to the mix? Another replay opportunity? Making 'literal' calls is tough enough for the officiating crew (which is almost as large as one team), but subjectivity is not remotely their strong suit.

(I'm being mostly sarcastic...in case anyone wonders)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I disagree

Nov 11, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to I disagree ]

They don’t have to slide but when it’s your most valuable player on the field it is a wise decision to slide to prevent the hit. I just think it’s dumb that if a player stubbles and falls or even dives he is not considered down until a part of his body hits the ground but the slide if different. How long his this rule been like this? We haven’t had a sliding type qb in a while so I really haven’t noticed it until this year when it happened to Trevor earlier in the year and then yesterday I saw it happen like 3 times. Also do they have the same rule in the nfl? Anyways GO TIGERS!!!!

I hate the rule, too! Primarily cuz...

Nov 11, 2018, 8:28 AM

Refs have to use their “judgement” to determine when the slide began.

H3ll, they couldn’t see a defender run into a punt returner prior to a catch last night. How are they gonna spot the start of a slide right with that kinda eyesight?

~JKB

It's reviewable***

Nov 11, 2018, 9:44 AM

Yes! And refs never screw up replay.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:13 AM

???????

~JKB

You cool with the calculator?

Nov 11, 2018, 9:43 AM

Asking for a friend....

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's so that defenders will pull up and not smash the QB

Nov 11, 2018, 9:44 AM

in the face as he's going down. It's a GOOD rule.

Re: It's so that defenders will pull up and not smash the QB

Nov 11, 2018, 10:09 AM

But it’s not a good rule because qbs have NO choice but to slide even later because they are considered down when they start the slide versus 2 yards further down field when they hit the ground. If you go back to the Trevor slide last night he slide perfectly. Now if last night he starts the slide after he reached the marker he would’ve been hammered on the slide versus his knee hitting the ground like he did last night after he reached the marker. Anyways GO TIGERS!!!

I know but it...

Nov 11, 2018, 10:00 AM

was all we had until they made a calculator small enough to fit in a pocket protector. You should buy one and frame that sliderule. It's what put men on the moon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I HATE the slide rule.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:28 AM

I never use mine anymore. Calculators are so much easier. HP48 phone app FTW.

Pocket protector.

Nov 11, 2018, 10:40 AM

Mitch Hyatt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I like calculators much better.***

Nov 11, 2018, 10:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic