Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We'll see tonight how much the "outside noise" affects the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,061

We'll see tonight how much the "outside noise" affects the

Nov 5, 2019, 10:41 AM

poll. I think the CFP committee has done a good job the last few years...much to ESecPN's chagrin.

There does seem to be a more determined and concentrated effort on dissing the Tigers and the ACC in general this year...and a more ultra-hyped spin on how great the SEC is.

I know last year shouldn't come into play but I think it will. We finished last year #1 and I think we'll be there tonight. Only game Bama has lost was to CU so #2. OSU looks the part at #3. Not totally sold on LSU. My prediction:

1. CU
2. Bama
3. OSU
4. LSU

Would not be surprised to see:

1. OSU
2. LSU
3. CU
4. Bama

We'll find out tonight. Go Tigers beat VT!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'll see tonight how much the "outside noise" affects the

Nov 5, 2019, 10:51 AM

Tell me if you think I'm wrong, but I think the committee has used "eye test" in the past when they fail to find other factors to separate a team.

LSU and OSU will definitely be ahead of us for schedule and quality victory purposes.

Also OSU hasn't had a game similar to ours with UNC to this point in the season.

I expect 3 at best but most likely 4th because of the UNC game being the separating factor between us and Bama as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, don't be surprised being 5th with PSU @ 4..

Nov 5, 2019, 10:56 AM

but I can't see that happening.

I predict #3 or #4 for Tigers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And, don't be surprised being 5th with PSU @ 4..

Nov 5, 2019, 10:58 AM

I think the Pitt game is the equivalent to our UNC game.

With that similarity I think the fact that we are a good bit better than Penn St makes it easier for the committee to put them behind us.

Stranger things have happened though.

I think if we are 5 then it is a big message to how the committee is looking at our schedule this season.

What would not be surprising is if Penn St jumps us next week if they are able to handle Minnesota easily.

That would be a big win for them.

just playing devil's advocate......

Nov 5, 2019, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: We'll see tonight how much the "outside noise" affects the ]

if OSU & LSU are ahead of Bama/Clemson (which i would agree with, they should be at this point) and Ohio State has both "eye test" & resume over bama/clemson, LSU mainly has resume.

Why wouldn't Penn State be #3?

here's why I ask:
Ohio State, LSU, & Penn State are the only teams to have 2 victories over "current" top25 teams.

LSU & Penn State's SOS is 34 & 39 (similar)
LSU & Penn State's avg margin of victory is 23-22 ppg (similar)

Nov 5, 2019, 11:07 AM

No one has beaten us in the last season and 3/4 of this one. I see no compelling argument that any team is better than us. Yes other teams have played stiffer competition but we are a complete, dominant team at this point in the season. We have improved and are playing as well as any other team.

Nov 5, 2019, 11:28 AM

Clemson the only team with 7 wins over power five teams this year. Just saying.

But we definitely don’t want to be #1.

Nov 5, 2019, 11:31 AM

#1 is s the kiss of death.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 5, 2019, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: We'll see tonight how much the "outside noise" affects the ]

Can we please quit bringing the fact that we were undefeated last year into this discussion? Their accomplishments have nothing to do with this year’s team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2019, 11:27 AM

If the reigning National Champions who have won their last 24 games in a row didn't make the top 4, there would have to be a complete failure of the system.

Anyone is welcome to ridicule me tomorrow if I am wrong, but I say there is a ZERO point ZERO ZERO percent chance that Clemson is not in the top 4 tonight. I expect 1 or 2, but we'll see.

to be honest........

Nov 5, 2019, 11:30 AM

any system that takes into account what happened in the previous year(s) is a failure of a system.

So the last 24 games shouldn't matter...............only the last 8-9 depending on where you're at in your current year's schedule

Re: to be honest........

Nov 5, 2019, 11:47 AM

And yet Alabama's current standing is based on what they have done in previous years. They haven't done squat this year. If previous years weren't considered, there would be no "Power-5" or conference rankings at all. All 120 teams would start each season even. But that is not reality, nor should it be.

Nov 5, 2019, 12:06 PM

To be fair we were #1 this season based on what we did last year until the UNC game put doubt in the minds of many people. Bama just hasn't had that type of game yet. I would be surprised to see Bama ranked any higher than #3 tonight though as the committee will look a lot deeper and consider schedule which doesn't favor Bama at this point.

Nov 5, 2019, 12:09 PM [ in reply to to be honest........ ]

I agree with this 100%. The only thing I ask for a team that's the defending NC and unbeaten in the current season is they are given a chance to defend their title, which in this system simply means being ranked somewhere in the top 4 at the end of the season if we're 13-0. I don't see where a team should be ranked #1 no matter what due to what happened last year though.

If that were the case then why wouldn't a team that just won the NC decide to drop any P5 teams from their OOC schedule for the next season and replace them with cupcakes? Why risk losing any games you don't have to if you're guaranteed to be #1 as long as you don't lose?

The committee won't forget the past 2 Big 10 debacles.

Nov 5, 2019, 11:31 AM

Remember Ohio State getting shut out, and Michigan State looking like a high school team against Bama. Penn State will have to prove itself before earning CFP ranking in Top 4.

Nov 5, 2019, 12:16 PM

I'm expecting Clemson at #3 or #4, which is fine by me. I guess we'll see what the committee values tonight.

Nov 5, 2019, 12:17 PM

I think one important thing for people who think the committee will rank us at 1 or 2 due to how they've ranked us in the past to remember is we had key wins in each of the past 4 seasons prior to the release of the first CFP rankings.

In 2015 we had the win over ND whom the committee had ranked in the top 10 all season long until they dropped another one late in the season. We also had a win over FSU who was ranked #16 at the time.

In 2016 we had a win on the road against Auburn, a win over Louisville who was ranked #3 at the time, and a win on the road against #12 FSU.

In 2017 we had a win over Auburn who was #13 at the time, and who had moved up into the top 10 later in the year and was fully in discussion to make the CFP. We also had road wins over #14 Louisville, #12 VT, and #20 NC State. Later in the year we also picked up a road win over #24 South Carolina.

In 2018 we had a road win over A&M who was in the top 25 by the time of the first CFP ranking and a win over #16 NC State. The week after the first CFP ranking we picked up a win on the road over #17 BC.

At this point in the year we don't have any wins like that unless they decide to put A&M somewhere in the top 25. That doesn't mean we won't be in the top 4, or at the least won't be in the top 4 by the end of the year, but it makes it highly unlikely that we'll be ranked at 1 or 2. Us being somewhere between 3-5 won't be because of outside pressure or bias, but rather our lack of high profile wins at this point.

Nov 5, 2019, 12:19 PM

The Bottom line to the Committee is picking the 4 best teams. No doubt that Clemson is one of the 4 best teams. We should unless a gigantic upset happens be 13–0.
I’m calling it now we will be the first #1 rated team to win the CFP.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,061
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic