Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going to try
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going to try

Apr 23, 2018, 7:57 PM

Hulu Live TV...has every channel I have ever watched on DirectTV, for $40 per month! I guess the real test will come during football season!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going t

Apr 23, 2018, 8:00 PM

I have 7 boxes with direct tv. Three for home and four are at the lake. So fir me to do this I would need to buy what and do I have to buy whatever it is for all 7 TVs. Do you get the sports channels ESPN, etc

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Apr 23, 2018, 9:13 PM

Be careful with sling. You only get a limited number of streams. If you have several TV's you won't be happy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going t ]

Be careful with sling. You only get a limited number of streams. If you have several TV's you won't be happy.

Apr 23, 2018, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going t ]

Hulu live might be unlimited, I think Vue is 5 devices or so.

May or may not work for you. AL these so Called

Apr 24, 2018, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going t ]

Chord cutters are really cutying 1 chord and are becoming more dependant on the other.

They all require high speed, reliable internet.

For you, that means you would have to get Internet at the lakehouse.

If you have 7 direct tv boxes you are likely paying $25-30 /month just for boxes.

High speed Internet packages usually start around $50/month.

1 other thing direct tv provides is freedom and accessibility. I bought a $60 portable dish that works with dish and direct tv. I can bring it anywhere and watch non hd direct tv or hd dish.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going to try

Apr 23, 2018, 8:07 PM

Sling has all that for $20. Sports, yes. More channels than you will ever want.

Apr 24, 2018, 8:04 AM

Several basketball games were not on the cheap Sling package last season.

No, with Sling, you have to purchase Orange & Blue to get

Apr 24, 2018, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going to try ]

All sports channels, so that's $40.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, with Sling, you have to purchase Orange & Blue to get

Apr 24, 2018, 8:46 AM

PLUS 50 OR 60 FOR WIFI.

Not sure it's fair to add the cost of WiFi or at least not

Apr 24, 2018, 9:00 AM

all of it as 99% of people are going to have internet no matter if they're streaming or using a dish. Now they may have to upgrade internet speed so that would be extra but not much more. Either way streaming is much cheaper, even when you call up DTV or dish and renegotiate lower rates.

The one thing DTV and Dish do offer and someone pointed out above is you can take it anywhere without internet connectivity and still use it.

As long as we have Clemson football tickets, I'll keep DTV just for that reason (and to use at my lakehouse).

Just my two cents! Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 8:09 PM

Sling has all that for $20. Sports, yes. More channels than you will ever want.
You need to have WiFi, also.

Apr 23, 2018, 8:56 PM

Is Sling a device

Apr 23, 2018, 9:14 PM

Sling is a service you subscribe to. It has ESPN, etc. and you watch it via WiFi. If your TV doesn't have a WiFI adapter built in, you need to get a Firestick, Roku, or some other device to get it to work (or enjoy watching on a laptop or phone).
Such devices are about 30 bucks, and you can load apps n' such on them kind of like you would a phone.

But you can only play one ESPN channel on any devices at onc

Apr 24, 2018, 4:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Well, I just bit the bullet! Cancelled my Direct TV. Going to try ]

You can't stream ESPN on one device and ESPN2 or ESPN3 on another. So you can't watch two games at the same time, if they're both on ESPN

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try cable.***

Apr 23, 2018, 8:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Try cable.***

Apr 23, 2018, 9:11 PM

I did this a couple seasons ago. Never looked back and never again will I touch anything to do with DirecTV.

I tried out Sling, Playstation Vue, and Hulu Live. I liked Playstation Vue the best. I really wanted to like Hulu Live because it has NBCSN, one channel the others didn't, but it was glitchy. Lots of buffering.

Sling was fine, but I like the interface of Vue better.

Another thing I like about getting rid of the cord or dish is no contracts- I pay for exactly what I want, when I want it. I don't subscribe to anything until late August, and turn it off in January.

I do however have Amazon Prime throughout the year. Free shipping and good prices on a lot of stuff, plus more on demand movies and shows than you can shake a stick at. There's also Crackle, Pluto TV. . . there is no reason on Earth to have DirecTV unless you're tailgating in a poor data reception area and you just have to have a lot of games.

Re: Try cable.***

Apr 23, 2018, 9:15 PM

To do what you have I would need to buy two playstations, one fir home and one for lake?

Jean I don't have PS Vue but here's a link

Apr 23, 2018, 10:04 PM

This should answer your questions. You don't need a Playstation to subscribe to PSVue. Hope this helps.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/getting-started/

Re: Jean I don't have PS Vue but here's a link

Apr 24, 2018, 9:09 AM

I CAME VERY CLOSE TO GETTING PS VUE BUT DECIDED TO GO WITH UVERSE. IT IS CHEAPER THAN COMPORIUM WITH A LOT MORE CHANNELS. WAY MORE THAN I NEED ACTUALLY. HAVE HAD ZERO TROUBLES SO FAR.

If all you are going to do at the lake house is watch TV

Apr 24, 2018, 6:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Try cable.*** ]

sell the house. Stay home. And watch TV.

#smartassanswerfortheday

You may want to try Hulu again! Signed up last we and no

Apr 24, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Try cable.*** ]

buffering so far, even with just 8 Mgb speed. I will be getting 100 Mgb next week, and certainly don't anticipate any buffering issues.

I have been using DirecTvNOW since Aug 2017

Apr 23, 2018, 9:15 PM

have not missed a thing. Will increase my package when CFB starts and keep on moving.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I'm also using DirecTvNOW.

Apr 23, 2018, 10:08 PM

Last year I pretty much got every game through the app or WatchESPN app. Without having to subscribe to extra sports packages. But are you saying we may have to this year since ESPN has started their $$$ grabber ESPN+ service? I sure hope not.

One thing I have noticed already. My DirecTV package didn't

Apr 24, 2018, 9:52 AM

include SEC network, so when I tried to access it on Watch ESpin, I would get the "not authorized" message. However, after being subscribed to Hulu, I was able to connect to SEC Network through Watch Espin without a problem.

I've had HULU Live for several months.. I've been pretty pleased to this point.***

Apr 24, 2018, 2:59 AM

I've had minimal glitchiness or buffering issues. However, I also upgraded to the $300 google wifi wireless router. Its a pack of 3. Each one is connected to the other, but unlike extenders to your wireless router, each one can act as the primary router. They also continue to search which internet channel/frequency has the least use and converts to it automatically. That really, i think, has prevented buffering issues. I'm not tech savvy at all.. this is easy stuff to set up and use.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I've had HULU Live for several months.. I've been pretty pleased to this point.***

Apr 24, 2018, 12:58 PM

Use cat6 ethernet with gigabit switches to connect to any device with an ethernet port. Wi-Fi only for portables with wifi only. Never a connection problem with ethernet.

Apr 24, 2018, 12:20 PM

I've tried most of the streaming services and youtubeTV (google) is the best for sports and news. It includes DVR and multiple streams. 40$ per month. All of the services offer 7 day free trials, so there is no risk trying them all. I was paying $150/month with directv and now I'm paying 40. No regrets. Satellite and cable are on there way out.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2018, 1:38 PM

Canceled ours about 3 months ago. Had a buddy recommend YouTubeTV along with Apple 4K. Love Apple products so gave it a try. $40/month and added Hulu to fill in a few channels the wife likes. We love it. Saves $100/month. Unlimited DVR so I record everything just in case. Dedicated ESPN app and haven’t missed anything that I would normally watch with Directv. Good luck.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic