Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are most LSU fans "sidewalk fans"? I doubt most LSU fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Are most LSU fans "sidewalk fans"? I doubt most LSU fans

Jan 7, 2020, 9:47 AM

actually went to LSU. I know the school itself is pretty easy to get into and not very highly regarded, but my guess is most of these fans just grew up in Louisiana and pull for the football team.

It's just refreshing how at a place like Clemson, most fans are truly connected to the school, walked across the stage, and shook hands with Dr Edwards or Barker (hopefully not Max) or Clements. I just think it has more meaning for the true fans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are most LSU fans

Jan 7, 2020, 9:54 AM

You could not be more wrong

Jan 7, 2020, 9:59 AM

Out of the 82,000 in Death Valley each Saturday; you think they're all graduates? Wrong, a fraction are grads. Without non-grads as fans Clemson would have a following about as strong as Furman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well

Jan 7, 2020, 10:06 AM

my degrees that I earned at LSU got me into Clemson, so.........

Re: Well

Jan 8, 2020, 9:56 AM

So in other words, you needed to go to LSU to obtain an education level strong enough to be able to enter Clemson's higher academic standards....yeah, I could see that being true.

I like ole Caddie, but you are right: we wouldn't have

Jan 7, 2020, 10:28 AM [ in reply to You could not be more wrong ]

but a smidgeon of support without the thousands of loyal fans who aren't alumni.

That was true when I was there over 50 years ago; it's true now, and Clemson has substantial donors included in that support.

Virtually my entire family are Clemson fans...and we are numerous...and only one of my nephews and I are graduates. Yet, we proudly fly the Paw! (Except my two beautiful nieces by marriage, one a Gamecock, the other an Auburn Tiger! lol)

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My entire family, two sons, wife, sister & two brothers are

Jan 7, 2020, 10:00 AM

... are all huge Clemson fans and not one of them graduated from Clemson.

I’m the only Clemson grad in my entire family.

I think the idea that graduates are better fans is flawed.

Graduates are definitely more in tune with the school itself, but that’s not surprising.

It would be interesting to have some data on what percentage of the 80,000+ who fill the stadium each game actually graduated from Clemson.

My hunch is that the number would be way less than you think.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a lifelong fan because my dad played at Clemson...

Jan 7, 2020, 10:06 AM

I got accepted but chose to go somewhere else.

My four kids are lifelong Clemson fans and my coot wife (after 24 years of marriage) is almost completely changed over because of Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU enjoys the luxury of being THE university in the state

Jan 7, 2020, 10:14 AM

unlike us or others like Georgia, Florida, Bama, even Mississippi.

I've driven across south and north Louisiana on trips to Texas, and virtually every motel, restaurant, convenience store, gas station, etc. proudly display LSU banners and flags. On top of that they usually have a good football team. So, I understand the following and support.

I have friends and family there and conducted a good bit of business there with my business, and they are good people..,colorful, yes, and quite welcoming. What a perfect setup for them this year with their excellent season, statewide following, the title game a short drive from Baton Rouge, even a LSU grad singing the National Anthem! They sounded a clarion call at the season's beginning that they were going all out to stop Bama's hegemony in the SEC. That LSU's season has been as triumphant as it has, I believe surprised their fan base.

Now, they face IMO their greatest challenge: can they unseat the defending National Champions? Believe you me, they know deep down in their minds, that will be an order of great magnitude.

Can they do it? I don't believe so, for Mother Fate always has a hand in these kinds of things. And Clemson will be a force unlike any they've seen in a long, long time. We are the reigning National Champions for a d*mn good reason...and that's because we ARE NOT some fly-by-night pushovers, willing to sit back and not launch ALL OUT WAR to defend our crown. AND FRIENDS, WE HAVE AN ARSENAL UNLIKE ANYTHING THE GOOD FOLKS AT LSU HAVE EVER SEEN!

GO TIGERRRRRRS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LSU enjoys the luxury of being THE university in the state

Jan 7, 2020, 10:34 AM

By golly, sounds like you are ready for some rock 'em sock 'em football! GoooooTigers!!!!!!!!!! (CU)

Re: LSU enjoys the luxury of being THE university in the state

Jan 8, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to LSU enjoys the luxury of being THE university in the state ]

Tulane says hello.

Re: Are most LSU fans "sidewalk fans"? I doubt most LSU fans

Jan 7, 2020, 10:16 AM

LSU of course has far more fans than attended LSU, just like Clemson.

LSU entry standards are not easy, requirements have been strong. Decades ago LSU did away with remedial courses and established JUCOs across the state so marginal students could try to qualify thru that route. LA has many lesser universities for those who cannot get in LSU.

Maybe 2-3 yrs ago F.King Alexander, LSU Pres, announced a change in entry quals to emphasize "inclusivity", to let more minorities in who couldn't meet the standards. All #### broke loose, including my voice, and he was asked by BOS to seek other employment. Now he gone to where he came from, the left coast. May his liberal soul roast in hell; a university is about excellence firzt, social change may be a positive by-product but cannot wag the dog.

Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College is a land grant school and a sea grant school. Is Tier One and Research One. Not at the top unfortunately but has some programs that are excellent.

I certainly respect LSU fans more than UGA fans.

Jan 7, 2020, 10:22 AM

LSU fans, as a whole, seem to have a much better understanding of their place in college football compared to UGA fans.

Re: I certainly respect LSU fans more than UGA fans.

Jan 7, 2020, 11:10 AM

Caddie said:

LSU fans, as a whole, seem to have a much better understanding of their place in college football compared to UGA fans.

Place in College Football:

TOTAL WINS:

UGA is #15

LSU is #16

Clem is #21

Can you factor in real national championships and

Jan 8, 2020, 7:47 AM

recalculate for me?

When I say real, I'm talking about championships earned on the field - not the ones that were earned by looking through the history books and claimed years after the game was played.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

eveidently they won a lot of games decades ago

Jan 8, 2020, 11:31 AM

They definitely win the number of losing seasons battle

Some of us could have gone anywhere

Jan 8, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Are most LSU fans "sidewalk fans"? I doubt most LSU fans ]

But chose LSU.

This is my home. I’m staying here for life. You can get the reading lists from other “prestigious” schools and pretty much know what they know. So why go to New York or Massachusetts or Virginia or California? None of those places have good boudin anyway.

Re: Are most LSU fans "sidewalk fans"? I doubt most LSU fans

Jan 8, 2020, 12:51 AM

I’m sorry but this is just condescending. I get that you feel a connection to fellow grads but to think it means more to you is incredibly arrogant, imo. I did not attend Clemson, hell, I didn’t even know they existed until I was in middle school. My grandmother took me to Walmart to buy an outfit for my first school dance and I picked a black skirt and a shirt that matched. I honestly had no idea that University of SC was a team because my family didn’t watch sports. Needless to say I was teased mercilessly by Clemson fans for wearing the vile shirt. At that point I hated Clemson even though I had never watched football. Afew years later I met my future husband who is a huge Clemson fan and he explained to me why I should be a Tiger. He told me about going to games and tailgating, and how his whole family gathered to watch the Tigers play. I have been married to him for 25 years and I have cheered and cried for Clemson, along with him and our son, throughout the years. I have been tormented by the thumb of Gamecocks ( we live in Murrells Inlet) and stood my ground. I have taken the high road and been silent to the same jerks as we climbed to the top. In 25 years we have never missed a game ( most on tv). I’m not saying that Clemson means more to us but it definitely doesn’t mean less. Go Tigers!

My daughter put LSU on her sat registration

Jan 8, 2020, 10:20 AM

About a week after she got her sat results she, my 16 yrs old, and my 12 yr old got acceptance letters to LSU.

Coincidentally... they all got acceptance letters to miss and miss state about a week later. Dunno how that happened.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: My daughter put LSU on her sat registration

Jan 8, 2020, 11:21 AM

When I started college at then LSUNO (now UNO), there were no admissions criteria for ANY college in Louisiana for an in-state student other than being a Louisiana high school graduate.

After a going nowhere freshman year, I enlisted in the Army and ended up in Baton Rouge for the fall semester of 1972. Got my grades together, graduated in spring 75 with a Field Artillery commission and the rest is history.

More than one professor in those days told his students, "just because we had to take you doesn't mean we have to keep you".

Freshman attrition was extraordinarily high back in those days...from an old girlfriend of mine:

"When I got to Miller Hall, there were 4 girls piled in a room designed for two. By the time eight weeks had gone by, there was me and one other girl in the room."

Admission standards have totally changed the picture...and LSU has NO remedial classes now, you either have to go to a JC or one of the directional schools.

Family note, my youngest daughter was admitted to LSU, but she ended up going to Southeastern Louisiana because of their nursing program and the transfer deal they offered her...LSU was really stingy in that regard. She said the first 6-8 weeks were rough because of the culture change, but she was fine after that, did well in school and is a BSN, RN working labor and delivery in Baton Rouge.

The question she got quite often, "You're from Maryland, how in the world did you ever end up here?"
Answer, "Dad went to LSU.", Reply, "Oh, OK"

Note to GeeVille Tiger, your daughters must have done well on the SAT.

they lowered the standard to 10th grade graduate***

Jan 8, 2020, 11:32 AM

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic