Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Weakness on defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Weakness on defense

Dec 8, 2019, 8:43 AM

While I think our defense is dominant there is a weakness I hope will not get exploited in the CFB. First of all Muse should never be in man bc he let up a couple big plays including a TD in the ACC championship game. Second is our LB outside Simmons. It could be just be but Chad smith and skaliski are really slow. Good against the run but not as good in coverage. Virginia was sinking and dunking all night last night. What are your thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Weakness on defense

Dec 8, 2019, 8:45 AM

Joe burrito might tear us up. Was thinking same thing.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:46 AM

I'm not sure what was up with Muse last night. He was definitely having an off night

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 8:48 AM

Muse has a lot on his plate. He doesnt have the DL to make his job easier.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Weakness on defense ]

That’s how Muse has always played. He makes a play now and again but consistently gets burnt.

1/2 of Uof6C’s offensive production last week came on one play when Muse let a TE run right past him.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 8:46 AM

Our defensive line hasnt been that good, so Venables has had to be creative. Venables is a genius. That said, our D is more vulnerable than people think on here.

Dec 8, 2019, 9:29 AM

You know you can't say anything even slightly critical about any aspect of Clemson on here. Are you crazy?

Worse 45 point win ever!!

Dec 8, 2019, 8:47 AM

Giving up 17 points is unacceptable!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Worse 45 point win ever!!

Dec 8, 2019, 8:51 AM

I’m not complaining about the win, and while we did only allow 17 points they had some sustained drives that ate the clock

Dec 8, 2019, 9:32 AM

I’m not complaining about the win, and while we did only allow 17 points they had some sustained drives that ate the clock

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 9:34 AM

I'm just glad they left us enough time to put 62 points on the board...

Dec 8, 2019, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Worse 45 point win ever!! ]

Gave up a lot of yards to a bad team. Venables didnt like it either. We are just noticing where we are vulnerable now that we start playing talented teams. Luckily all of the teams in the playoff have vulnerable D's. If we had our D from last year we would be a lock to win it all. This year its going to be wild. I still think we win it all though, but with scores like 38-35....42-38.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:33 AM

...eh, maybe.

Anybody who had watched Bryce Perkins and his wideouts this year could have told you there was no stopping them, just containing them. The weakness of that UVA O was their O-line and and pure brute strength in run-blocking; their problem is that they're young and a bit understrength...but they've really progressed since the beginning of the year in terms of their communication and cohesion and it was impressive how well they identified, shifted, and picked up Venables' myriad blitzes. That's the cerebral, brainy Mendenhall DNA at work in that offense.

When you play somebody as dynamic and dangerous as Perkins, though, you've got to set the edge and then spy him...and even then you're aware he's going to do some damage, and he did. UVA's also got a really good offensive scheme that both puts elusive players in space while also sending their big field players into the teeth of your D to win 1-on-1's, and they did both all day.

I am less sold that OSU, for instance, is nearly as cerebral or organized up front.

LSU is going to be a nightmare, at least on O, but Burrow is a matchup nightmare for anybody right now.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:34 AM

UVA sucks and was always average.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:01 AM

Carlsbad® said:

UVA sucks and was always average.

There is nothing remotely average about Bryce Perkins or his receivers, and his OL, like I said, did a fantastic job communicating and identifying Venables' blitzes yesterday.

Better matchup?

Dec 8, 2019, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Worse 45 point win ever!! ]

Q, who would you say we matchup better against - OSU or LSU? Vegas seems to think OSU would be a tougher test. I’m not so sure - LSU’s O looked pretty good.

That said that announcer’s love fest for Joe Burrow in yesterday’s game was utterly nauseating (even if he did look like a #1 overall pick). Reminds me a little of Trevor. Great arm and can run

Re: Better matchup?

Dec 8, 2019, 11:00 AM

Q, who would you say we matchup better against - OSU or LSU? Vegas seems to think OSU would be a tougher test. I’m not so sure - LSU’s O looked pretty good.

That said that announcer’s love fest for Joe Burrow in yesterday’s game was utterly nauseating (even if he did look like a #1 overall pick). Reminds me a little of Trevor. Great arm and can run

I think we match up better defensively against OSU. I think we can stuff their run and force Fields to beat us with his arm...and he's an average thrower who's being put in plus situations because of their dominant run game. When he's under pressure you see his completion percentage drop to below 50% and stuff starts sailing on him.

OSU has to keep things sweet for him because they know he's basically JT Barrett.

Burrow is on another planet right now. I think we'd beat them because our D is better than theirs but a game against LSU, I suspect, would strongly resemble that game we had against Lamar Jackson and Louisville a few years ago.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:49 AM

Sinking and dunking all night ?

What was the final score ?

62-17

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Dec 8, 2019, 8:57 AM

Definitely agree with that. D line is definitely not on par with any in the last 10 years under Coach V. Georgia got burnt a lot yesterday on blitzes. I despise LSU but they’re the real deal on the passing game. I still don’t think they can stop our offense though. I could see a 45-38 type game with them. But wouldn’t shock me if our D held them to their lowest output of the year, because of Coach V game plan.

Why has anyone not tried to hire their passing coordinator from the Saints for a head coach? Can’t recall his name but he has made a huge difference in that team on offense.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Weakness on defense ]

Definitely agree with that. D line is definitely not on par with any in the last 10 years under Coach V. Georgia got burnt a lot yesterday on blitzes. I despise LSU but they’re the real deal on the passing game. I still don’t think they can stop our offense though. I could see a 45-38 type game with them. But wouldn’t shock me if our D held them to their lowest output of the year, because of Coach V game plan.

Why has anyone not tried to hire their passing coordinator from the Saints for a head coach? Can’t recall his name but he has made a huge difference in that team on offense.

My thoughts are

Dec 8, 2019, 8:50 AM

The D BV designed for Virginia was all about keeping the QB in his place. Not rush madly towards him,giving him escape lanes. For teh same reason Zone was played most of the night.

Every year people get worried about something. No team is perfect, BV will have a PLAN and have them ready !

Re: My thoughts are

Dec 8, 2019, 8:55 AM

I believe that, I’m glad he’s on our team

Dec 8, 2019, 9:04 AM [ in reply to My thoughts are ]

Muse had a bad night in coverage. He looked like last year’s version of his play. He also pursued and tackled poorly which I think he had really improved this year. Hopefully he bounces back for the semifinal, but no doubt he will be a focus the opponents gameplan.

Last night brought back my concerns about the pressure we generate from the DE’s. XT has not performed like we thought he would all season. If we play like that against Borrow or Fields the offense is going to have to score lots of TD’s.

Dec 8, 2019, 9:08 AM [ in reply to My thoughts are ]

Burrito will run some times but not as much as Perkins....

Agreed

Dec 8, 2019, 10:40 AM [ in reply to My thoughts are ]

The D we played last night was good practice for containing Fields.

We won't play that same D if we play LSU. Burrow can get some yards but he's not going to beat you with his legs.

Dec 8, 2019, 9:00 AM

Muse is either really good or really bad. Seems like there is no in between. Hope Venables can figure something out or it may be a long night for us if we get LSU. However, our offense will be playing against their weakness so it may be a shoot out.

Dec 8, 2019, 9:01 AM

We played well last night but my biggest concern is the lack of a strong pass rush. If we don't put a hat on Fields and Burrow regularly and stay on them, they can do us a lot of harm. I'm glad we've got 3 weeks to prepare and know BV will have them ready. I feel like LSU is going to jump OSU today so pack your bags for AZ and get ready for the Buckeyes.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 9:05 AM

Exactly. Pressure from our DE's has been weak overall.

In Cbv I trust he has been smiling all season. Those

Dec 8, 2019, 9:02 AM

Players give him credit all the time about the plan they execute on the field

Dec 8, 2019, 9:21 AM

Pretty easy solution to me. We need to somehow generate more pressure on the quarterback. Hopefully Venables did not want to show too much in the ACC championship game, but we really need to utilize Simmons and Xavier Thomas to generate pressure and sacks on the quarterback which will help the back seven.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I think last night's plan was to keep Perkins in check.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:31 AM

They did that....I remember the Steel days, where we went hell bent for leather after the QB with NO THOUGHT maintaining gap control and players like Connor Shaw wore us out running the ball on 3rd and eight! That does not happen very often now days..

Yes it is obvious we don’t know how to scout

Dec 8, 2019, 9:23 AM

Ourselves. Dumb post

I give

Dec 8, 2019, 9:37 AM

UVa some credit for getting in a formation against a certain scheme we had that caused Muse to be on number 8. Venables fixed it though.

Re: I give

Dec 8, 2019, 9:41 AM

Yes he did

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UVA saw it on film and went after it...

Dec 8, 2019, 9:38 AM

They were creating 1-on-1 matchups with Muse, Chad Smith, and Skalski. Those 3 are not the fastest guys (Muse was before he bulked up) and are mostly run stoppers who could struggle in coverage. BV adjusted well, and I thought he did a great job of using Simmons and Turner to combat that tactic.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 9:40 AM

I wouldn’t say a dumb post. Debate is good. We all know CBV is a genius but Listen to Dabo on several occasions throughout the year... we’re young. Dabo has mentioned that on several occasions. We’ve got players getting a lot more pt than either of them would like to have played.

Carlsbad posts have been spot on. I’ve said it before, we got screwed with Belk. He and a couple others that haven’t developed as well as expected. Put a ton of pressure on cbv to be even more of a genius.

He’ll do the best he can and will get creative. But unfortunately he can’t get out there and tackle. As much as I hate to admit it, uga does have a good defense. Probably better than us being realistic because of experience.

I would like to hear more from football x and o peeps on why they uga couldn’t get more pressure on burrows.. bama didn’t either but bama was a lot like us this year, not enough d.

Offense is going to win our next two games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2019, 9:57 AM

SKALSKI is NOT Slow bud.

Dec 8, 2019, 10:09 AM

I'll give you 50% credit. Muse was out of position when that guy got behind him for the TD. But on the next TD, when that corner blitz and left Muse 20 yards from the guy that was wide open wasn't his fault. I don't think I have ever seen a corner blitz from the 12 yard line. The Safety doesn't have time to cover that.

We might have some real problems with LSU

Dec 8, 2019, 10:16 AM

We aren't generating much pressure this year without blitzing and last night Virginia did a really nice job of picking up our blitzes as well. Burrow is just incredibly accurate and really stresses a defense down the field. If he gets time to throw he will find the matchups and make us pay. I really wouldn't be surprised if we have to score 35-40 to beat LSU.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic