Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Film evaluation of Turner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Film evaluation of Turner

Jan 21, 2016, 7:52 PM

Heady but slow. Competition looks weak. Nose for the football, not afraid to lay big hits. Special teams contributor, will have hard time cracking starting lineup. Intangibles: Unknown.

Definite roll of dice for preseason #1 team at a position of need. No one will care if we land Mullen, Simmons, Hill, Finley and Thomas.

Good luck to the young man. At least he's over 6 feet. Special teams needs serious help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

It's a reach that I am ok with

Jan 21, 2016, 7:55 PM

Plays with heart on film, that's all I ask for. I like having some "role players" on the team

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think he goes down to a preferred walk-on after a year?

Jan 21, 2016, 7:56 PM

nm

Re: Think he goes down to a preferred walk-on after a year?

Jan 21, 2016, 7:59 PM

Nope.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Film evaluation of Turner

Jan 21, 2016, 7:57 PM

Does he play in a private school league - if not what league and level?

Have you heard or looked at his film before this afternoon?

Do coaches evaluate off highlight videos or whole game videos?

Message was edited by: Country Gentleman®

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 21, 2016, 8:07 PM

Not sure, I heard 7a whatever that means.

First time looking at film for pretty much everybody including recruiting sites. Thus no rating.

Coaches evaluate in numerous ways. But pretty sure assistants didn't evaluate Turner. This was Dabo's call 100%.

I think Dabo gives himself one of these a year, if the

Jan 21, 2016, 8:26 PM

Opt. Presents its self. I think he personally has several of these every year that are preferred walk on's and if the timing is ever right he will offer one of them a scholly, (call it I see a little bit of me in you offer if you will)

7A football, that sounds pretty low grade. We should only

Jan 22, 2016, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Film evaluation of Turner ]

take 8A or 9A players. Only Alabama has a shot at getting the 10As.

He plays in the highest classification in Alabama.

Jan 21, 2016, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Film evaluation of Turner ]

Schools they play include Hoover, Mountain Brook (TV series based on this school's team) Spain Park. If you know anything about Bama football you will realize these are among the elite in the state. First 2 have numerous titles. Spain Park was state runner up this year. Humphrey who caught the onside kick for Bama is a freshman from Hoover. Elite competition.

Re: He plays in the highest classification in Alabama.

Jan 21, 2016, 10:23 PM

TV series was on Hoover not MB.

7a - same region as Hoover, Spain Park etc.***

Jan 22, 2016, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Film evaluation of Turner ]

maybe it's just me....

Jan 21, 2016, 7:59 PM

Reminds me of a young John Lynch. Hard nose guy will lay you out. Not elite speed, but very good instincts. I like him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Possible

Jan 21, 2016, 8:00 PM

But I'd temper expectations right now

I don't have any expectations for the kid.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:09 PM

Never heard of him till today. We have plenty of great players. He has instincts and pedigree. I don't see why he couldn't be an excellent player in a couple of years. Redshirt, bench guy, back-up, then maybe start a couple of years. You never know. Maybe they just want to have a guy who will stay the course, and play every down at the safety position.

Re: maybe it's just me....

Jan 21, 2016, 8:00 PM [ in reply to maybe it's just me.... ]

Yea he might get beat by the receiver but that recently very better pray he beats him because she if not "he gonna be a hurtin buckaroo!"

Re: maybe it's just me....

Jan 22, 2016, 2:38 AM [ in reply to maybe it's just me.... ]

Maybe I'm mistaking, but I thought I read this kid 40 time at (4.46). If so, This kid can run toe to toe with any of our runningbacks and receivers. That great speed for someone at 6'1 in height.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:00 PM

I think you underestimate his closing speed. Also, he's rarely out of position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I agree he didn't look slow to me

Jan 21, 2016, 8:05 PM

Also doesn't seem to be too small either. With that said, what was keeping him from getting major offers? Not like he was off the radar. ...he was the son of a former nfler

Re: I agree he didn't look slow to me

Jan 21, 2016, 8:10 PM

I think a year in the S&C program will make this kid a legit 3*

He flew under most people's radar.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: I agree he didn't look slow to me

Jan 22, 2016, 2:43 AM [ in reply to I agree he didn't look slow to me ]

None Camp attendants can hurt. Maybe his dad situation kept him close to home.

Something else to consider regarding speed, is that he

Jan 22, 2016, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Film evaluation of Turner ]

played offense and defense at least part of the time on the highlight reels. He was obviously running out of gas on one of the INT returns. I think he picks up some speed with Coach Batson, and concentrating on defense and ST alone, once he gets on campus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2016, 8:04 PM

I won't presume to know enough to evaluate his film but I lived in Birmingham and Vestavia Hills is competitive year in and year out in the highest class of Alabama hs football, class 7A. Their rival is Hoover which routinely wins the state. Birmingham has several schools that are very good at football every year so I don't think I can agree that he plays weak competition.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:04 PM

Agree 110% - slow as a mud slide.

Can bring the wood if he can get to the man with the ball.

11.5 hundred meters. Compare to others at this position.***

Jan 21, 2016, 8:07 PM

Jan 21, 2016, 8:05 PM

the kid played 7a football in alabama.

Jesus Christ, the kid had preferred walk-on status at

Jan 21, 2016, 8:12 PM

Alabama. That means they offer him a scholarship if one opens. What is everyone bitching about?

Re: Jesus Christ, the kid had preferred walk-on status at

Jan 21, 2016, 8:15 PM

Doubt he can cover any of our current receivers - too slow

Jan 21, 2016, 8:37 PM

11.8 in the 100 meters the guy isnt that slow.

null

Jan 22, 2016, 1:45 AM

This is my take on the legacy recruits. First off, Dabo is a great recruiter. 7 times out of 10 if he can get the player here for an OV he can seal the deal. We just played for the NC and we're very thin at LB. Let's be honest, the Davis twins and the Bevelle twins aren't going to start on this team. We have huge aspirations as a football program. I can't understand the legacy recruits. Greenlee is another that will add very little to the depth on this team. Right now we have about 4 or 5 scholarships left. Imagine if we had 9. I just read that we turned down a player, who at the time was told along with Our on DE recruit that we were taking just 1 DE and we would take whomever gave their verbal first. Then we shut down recruiting for DEs. From what I heard, that particular recruit just moved up to a 5*. As far as we have come I just don't think we can do this, or continue to do this. Will it stop? How many more friends does Dabo have who may have a son who wants to play D1 football? Yes, Dabo is the head coach, but are the scholarships his to just give away to every friend he feels is in need?

My post may come off as rude, but I'm not writing it with that intention. I juse don't think we can afford it. I won't name the recruit, but one of the legacy recruits is like 167 lbs. One of 2 things will happen if this kid doesn't add a lot of weight. He will either ride the bench for 4 years, or he will play and get his clock cleaned. We had to let Bryan Edwards go to the coots because we were "full" at receiver. Injuries happen all the time. He would have been great to add to the team with his height. He could have come in and redshirted a year. No one knows what will happen the following year. Williams will go pro after this year. What if Artavis Scott has a huge year and goes pro? One last thing, because of our depth I think we will see a receiver (I've mentioned Shadell Bell) move to safety. It is just that with a couple more scholarships we could have taken Edwards as a receiver and tell him he has to work his butt off to crack the rotation. It would have given us even more depth and it would have kept the coots from having a very solid receiver.

Ok, rant over. Go Tigers!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally, I'd rather flip their 4 and 5 star players

Jan 21, 2016, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Jesus Christ, the kid had preferred walk-on status at ]

but I understand the take.

Re: Personally, I'd rather flip their 4 and 5 star players

Jan 22, 2016, 8:19 AM

he took gibsons spot. strelow says we can still take 2 db's. guessing they gave this some thought before making the offer.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Jesus Christ, the kid had preferred walk-on status at ]

Preferred walk on = gets a shot at the roster. Might have a shot to get one as a senior.
11.5 100m means he's finishing 15m behind Tavien Feaster. Not good.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:19 PM

You Got That Right.

Jan 21, 2016, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Jesus Christ, the kid had preferred walk-on status at ]

You do realize that if you are going to compare all our players to Feaster on the track you are going to be very very disappointed right?

null

Jan 21, 2016, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Jesus Christ, the kid had preferred walk-on status at ]

His Hudl page says he runs a 4.46 forty.

Good thing he's on Feaster's team.

BTW. Feaster was the second fastest high school sprinter in the nation last year.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3885199/nolan-turner

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Those 40 times are all made up because they can***

Jan 21, 2016, 9:39 PM

Re: Those 40 times are all made up because they can***

Jan 21, 2016, 9:46 PM

This kid would've never seen the field at Bama let's be real. Let's not act like we stealing some stud from bama ppl. I'm all for a special team performer though , we need some hard nosed kids on special teams.

Jan 22, 2016, 1:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Jesus Christ, the kid had preferred walk-on status at ]

Honestly you can't compare 40's and 100m.... Too many variables and heck a good track coach might be all that stands in the way of Turner running sub 11. But football players aren't recruited to run the 100m. The kid looks like 4-.6 or 4.7 on film and with a 315 squat that isn't bad. With a 400+ Squat he could definitely be 4.6s. I would argue that jadar might actually be slower than this kid. The other 3 are probably all faster. Anyway kid pulls away from the comp and that comp is 7a so take that fwiw.

Jan 22, 2016, 1:25 AM

I will add that the added leg strength tied to that 400 number is only part of ten equation. Footwork, explosion and flexibility are all just as important.

4.40 - 40 time ? Slow ?***

Jan 21, 2016, 8:30 PM

Pretty sure the OP said "Film Evaluation"

Jan 22, 2016, 8:20 AM

And watching the film, he does seem slow for a Safety position. Does have a good nose for the football and plays with a recklessness about him. The competition did look extremely weak. That's what I saw in the Senior film (the only one I watched).

I can write down 4.5, 4.4, just as well as anyone else. What matters is playing speed, and there is a lot of video that doesn't appear 4.4.

Re: Pretty sure the OP said "Film Evaluation"

Jan 22, 2016, 8:22 AM

7a alabama football is weak huh. hoover is weak, spain park is weak huh. got it. thanks for your evaluation. smfh

Once had a former CLEM coach and now NFL coach tell me...

Jan 21, 2016, 8:32 PM

that it isn't always about getting an elite talent with every kid you sign. If you get a good player that you know will be a good "locker room addition" (I'll leave it at that)---you sometimes take him late in the process if you have a spot available. I wish I could give a more in-depth description of what he meant behind that (its multi-faceted)...but I'm not going to b/c some ppl may find it slightly politically incorrect and its not worth exposing it/trying to defend the coach. I'd agree kid probably isn't as talented as some of the other safeties we are after, but I'd bet Dabo is partially viewing this from this coach's perspective as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2016, 10:02 PM

speed 4.46 not slow! defense Renfro !

6'2" 190 add 20 pounds

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weak Competition?

Jan 21, 2016, 10:24 PM

Vestavia Hills plays in Class 7A, which is the highest high school division in Alabama. And they're in the same region with Hoover, who they made a TV show about.

Re: Weak Competition?

Jan 21, 2016, 11:50 PM

So he played in the highest division of football in Bama and still wasn't rated? Hmm

Re: Weak Competition?

Jan 22, 2016, 7:13 AM

Ironically I think it's easier to fall through the cracks when you play for a big high school because there's so many other good players on the field, so you may not stand out and put up the monster stats. On the other hand, if you're not putting up big numbers at a podunk high school, then you're probably not too good.

Top level in Alabama - 7A***

Jan 22, 2016, 8:33 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

He is not slow.**

Jan 22, 2016, 8:43 AM

nm

Jan 22, 2016, 8:47 AM

I was a safety in HS , and the kid knows how to play his position . Looks above avg in run support and pass coverage .
I don't know how you're determining he is slow , it doesn't look like he is a track star but he lools plenty quick . Plays WR too ...usually with your RBs as the fastest players on the team .
I'm fine with this offer , and glad to have this young man as a new Clemson Tiger .

DB23

Jan 22, 2016, 8:50 AM

You lost me at "competition looks weak"....

He plays in the highest classification in Alabama and against perennial power houses in the state.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Jan 22, 2016, 10:47 AM

Plays for a good 7A team in Alabama and is supposedly one of the best players on the team but gets overlooked by Alabama and auburn? But Alabama offers him a walk on mainly because of his dad and dabo counters with a scholly and we laND him and stole a recruit from bama? With the way recruiting is now days it's hard for a recruit not to make a website or get noticed especially with camps, hudl, and 7on7 events. Recruiting is huge right now, I wish this was a preferred walk on take but regardless hopefully he contributes to special teams early on.

Jan 22, 2016, 11:00 AM

All you "experts" and armchair analyst are a hoot...

"Plays with heart"
"Well we'll see"
"Could be used for special teams"
"Role of the dice"

Blah blah blah!

Our coaches don't offer "token" scholarships to players they don't feel will contribute to our success!

There is a REASON this "unranked" player was offered! He can PLAY!!

Quit being so hung up on *stars* and trust the evaluations of well, umm, the coaches maybe!?!?

Go Tigers!!!

Jan 22, 2016, 11:37 AM

Also there's something to be said for someone who brings the teams G.p.A up

Jan 22, 2016, 2:30 PM

I wonder how many TNetters would be laughing their ##### of is Scar landed this same recruit and making fun of it but now that we landed a NR player it's different.

If he develops great but if he don't hopefully he can tackle a KO returner or PR. We have bigger needs at safety than a development player but it's dabo's call. Hopefully we land a impact safety to finish this class or next class.

Jan 22, 2016, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Film evaluation of Turner ]

Bwhahahahahaha! Do you even pay attention?

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic