Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Best" vs "Most Deserving"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 803

"Best" vs "Most Deserving"

Nov 6, 2019, 11:53 AM

Here is what is bothering me about the committee rankings. Are they trying to pick the four *best* teams or the four *most deserving*? Let's take a look...

Ohio State vs. LSU: I think most folks agreed that these would be the top 2 teams. I also think most would agree that LSU is the *most deserving* of the two due to the quality their wins. If you want to say Ohio State is *better*, that's fine, but they are clearly not more deserving. Since Ohio State is 1, that tells me the committee went with "best" metric.

Bama vs. PSU: The committee has said that at the end of the day, they just felt that Alabama is better than PSU (and Clemson). If they went by *most deserving*, PSU is 3 and Clemson/Alabama is 3/4 (pick your order). But since Alabama is 3, another vote for "best" metric.

Baylor: Three good/great wins, clearly "more deserving" than several teams ahead of them. Committee seems to think Florida, Auburn, etc. are "better" than Baylor. That's fine, at least we're still using the "best" criteria.

Georgia: Really bad LOSS at home. IMO, that loss hurts if you are going by "most deserving" logic. But again, viewed under the lens of "best", I guess you can argue that they are 6.

Now we get to Clemson. Clemson is one of the best 4 teams in the country. If you think PSU is better than Clemson, you probably shouldn't be on the committee. It seems the committee wants to reward the "best" teams until they get to Clemson and then change the logic to "most deserving", which is what I think upsets most folks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One is impossible to know, the other is approaching possible

Nov 6, 2019, 11:59 AM

If we knew the best teams, we would not need games. We never know. Ever.

But we can look at what is actually happening in games and use that with at least some validity.

A lot of the same people who complain about SEC bias use the very same logic that results in it. Making baseless assumptions that really come from hype and preseason expectations more than anything else.

Nobody here has any idea what the hell would happen if we play Penn State. But we do know what Penn State has done on the field and we know what Clemson has done on the field. I say use that. It’s a little bit closer to possible.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU beat #11&12 (plus Texas), while Ohio St beat #13&20

Nov 6, 2019, 12:04 PM

LSU is more deserving by far.

We really need Wake Forest to open a can on Va. Tech********

Nov 6, 2019, 12:09 PM

Nm....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Best" vs "Most Deserving"

Nov 6, 2019, 12:19 PM

Compare margin of victory and yards for and against in those ranked wins and it’s not even close, Ohio state deserves #1 right now over LSU.

Replies: 4
| visibility 803
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic