Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'll ask again. Can we please hire Jay Wright?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,072

I'll ask again. Can we please hire Jay Wright?

Apr 4, 2016, 11:32 PM

I know it'll never happen, but he's a great coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My guess is, no we may not

Apr 4, 2016, 11:39 PM

It's not like Villanova is some lower tier program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didn't read all of the post?***

Apr 4, 2016, 11:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There has to be some sort of incentive for a coach ...

Apr 5, 2016, 4:14 PM

... to take another job when he already has a great situation.

I realize you qualified your question with the statement that it probably would never happen, but that's the problem with even having this sort discussion. Even having it on a "wish list" is unrealistic.

It's difficult to imagine anything that would provide Clemson with the sort of appeal that could pry an established successful guy like Wright away from Nova.

Even if Clemson had unlimited funds for salary (which we don't) why would Wright come to Clemson simply for more money?

He wouldn't.

He might go to (insert name of school with money and strong hoops potential) but not Clemson.

Clemson simply cannot expect to be able to entice a great coach to leave and come here for more money, and we don't have a lot of other things to offer.

IMHO, we're going to have to hit the coaching jackpot from the opposite direction. We're going to have to identify and hire the Dabo Swinney of basketball.

And even then, we're going to have to be "All In" with hoops from an AD and fan perspective giving that diamond-in-the-rough coach 110% support.

I just do not think we are ever going to see a situation where we attain some sort of instant success by pulling a "Jay Wright" to Clemson.

There's just no incentive for it from a coaches point of view.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to change the culture first.

Apr 5, 2016, 4:44 PM

We must become a school who is passionate about basketball success. This means upping our standards for basketball funding, coaching, and recruiting. If we do this, we will see yearly NCAA Tournament berths and be viewed as a legitimate coaching job.

We might need to get a Dabo type to begin with, but as he improves the program, we will need to increase our basketball budget accordingly to keep him happy and thus, keep the team successful.

After 10+ years of this, our poor basketball history will mean much less than it does now. Do this over the next 15-20 years, and we become much more of a destination job.

Or, we can keep doing things like we have always done them and continue being disappointed.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I absolutely agree ...

Apr 5, 2016, 5:47 PM

These are things I've believed and voiced since I was young.

I'm not that young any more and while I firmly believe that the basketball culture at Clemson can be turned around by the right coach, supported by the right AD ... I'm just not sure I'll live long enough to see it.

The new facility is a major step in the right direction. But, it should have been done 20 years ago.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes. Right after Villanova hires Dabo***

Apr 4, 2016, 11:40 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah. Let's hold out for Pat Riley.***

Apr 4, 2016, 11:45 PM

no need. In another 7 or 8 years Brownell will get us to the

Apr 4, 2016, 11:49 PM

Tourney.

Maybe we'll even make in The Garden again ;)***

Apr 4, 2016, 11:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I'll ask again. Can we please hire Jay Wright?

Apr 4, 2016, 11:58 PM

We have the best X's and O's coach of all time already.??

We were lucky to get Jay Wright State***

Apr 5, 2016, 4:38 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 5, 2016, 4:49 PM

LAST I CHECKED HE HAS A PRETTY GOOD JOB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2016, 12:54 PM

He will never leave Villanova - he is so engrained there! Not even for the Pros! Think elsewhere~! (70tig from Philly)

Plus he makes a million dollars per year more at Nova

Apr 6, 2016, 2:19 PM

in a fertile recruiting area.

He makes about twice what Brownell makes.

Apr 6, 2016, 6:14 PM

And that is before the huge raise he is likely to get now that he is an NCAA Tournament champion.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We have a better chance of hiring John Wooden***

Apr 6, 2016, 8:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,072
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic