Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We need conferences because???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,083

We need conferences because???

Oct 15, 2019, 4:50 PM

Teams can claim they are good in a conference even if they sux. Others can call a team in a conference bad even if they are championship material. Or no conferences - just teams standing on their wins.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We need conferences because???

Oct 15, 2019, 4:56 PM

Else how would Jesse and Paul know who to talk about .
They are not specialized enough to have it broken down into such small segments .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 15, 2019, 5:12 PM

We need conferences because without them, we would not have any conferences.

This logic is very similar to how the SEC gets 8 teams in the top 15 rankings every year, and if you don't get that, then youre not SEC material.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 8:48 PM

Because the benefits of belonging to a conference far outweigh the limitations imposed by them.
And dealing with those differences compels simple-minded fans, and analysts who should know better, into developing higher level social and mathematical reasoning skills.

Like you are trying to develop here. Good for you.

And also good for you by turning off the Inbred Cousins Network and asking your question on Tigernet. The Cousins only have one answer to every question: "because it means more."

Oct 15, 2019, 8:54 PM

Conferences like the ACC need conferences so we can prevent the "deplorables" from entering our elite conference. We managed to get rid of UofSuc - see how that works. :)

Oct 15, 2019, 11:49 PM

Conference affiliation provides stability in scheduling, makes the logistics of travel much simpler, spreads the money more uniformly through TV contracts, helps ensure fairness in competition, promotes rivalries/relationships and greater fan involvement, and makes the NCAA and networks happy because they are not negotiating separate contracts every year for 300+ very different universities. Remember that conferences don't only affect football. Almost every school-sponsored team above the Club level involves conference affiliation. (I'm sure dome exceptions exist.)

Up until 2 months ago, my brother worked on Liberty U's football staff. He was there for 18 years, through 4 HCs.

During that time they were in 3 different FCS conferences before finally transitioning to FBS as an independent. A Sun Belt membership would have made their transition much easier and cheaper, but since Coastal Carolina lobbied against them joining the SBC, the SBC rejected them. LU had to find their own competitors as an FBS Indy. Their travel has already included multiple self-funded trips out west in their 2 seasons as FBS. In addition, this season they had to schedule 2 FCS schools to fill out their 12 game season. Only one victory over an FCS team can be counted toward bowl-eligibility, so the second is a de facto loss. Is that what you mean by 'standing on your wins'?

If you want to see what life as an Indy is like, check out NMSU's schedule, travel burden and 0-6 record. Liberty is 4-2 but have played several indy schools in worse $$$ situations than theirs. They still may not achieve bowl eligibility, since they may need 7 wins. They are playing mostly stable, well-developed conference teams for the rest of the year, so it will be difficult.

Life as a new FBS indy is very challenging, but even when you're Notre Dame, independence is a mixed bag. I'm out of time (and words), but i wish i could tell you more about the big boy conferences.

Put it this way: just because the members of one obnoxious football conference think they can bully all the others doesn't mean we should eliminate conferences.

Nobody would want to schedule us? ***

Oct 16, 2019, 8:09 AM

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,083
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic