Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We are so spoiled . We forget where we came from.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

We are so spoiled . We forget where we came from.

Dec 4, 2020, 1:20 AM

We are not supposed to win championships. We are a small town in upstate South Carolina. Nobody knows where Clemson is....... Isnt it crazy how we went from being a team nobody knew to being the best team in the country? Do we really understand how lucky and good we are. Do we reallly appreciate the success we've had? In 2007 we set the record for the 2nd loudest noise recorded in sports history(=to a jet engine) againt Boston college becuase we had a chance to win the ACC. Now we expect to not only win the ACC every year but win the national championship every year. Lets really appreciate what we are doing right now. We only get 100 years to live. Never has our foorball program been as good as it is now. We only get to watch our Clemson football team for 4 months. It will never get better than this. Enjoy every minute. Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We Forget We Were Somebody Before ---

Dec 4, 2020, 2:15 AM

We did win the Natty before Dabo.
We were a bit of a powerhouse after that.
Florida State came in and rocked our little town of big happiness with that punt-rooski and probably put a Seminole curse on us for the next 14 years after that. Not to mention the beatdowns Cal...NC State...and Virginia Tech put on us.

Then came Dabo....then later on the play-offs.
If we didn't have the play-offs and still winning with Dabo ...it would be a confusing struggle to be undisputed champs by the polls. We would be in the Orange Bowl for most of our yearly successes....just to wait and see what happens in the Sugar Bowl... Rose Bowl..and Fiesta Bowl.

Glad things got better.

Dec 4, 2020, 11:43 AM

I agree with the OP that we are spoiled, and I'm soaking up and enjoying every second of it!

I will say though, during the playoff era, I don't think we would've been sitting in the Orange Bowl most years under the old system...

2015: we would have been #1 and in the Natty.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/bcs-pairings-not-much-different/

https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/673634858476953600/photo/1

2016: #3 (so we would've missed out on this Natty which we won with the playoff)
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/6/13853430/bcs-college-football-playoff-2016

https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/805498550272610305/photo/1

2017: #1 (MAY have won this natty as we would've played UGA instead of Bama, but either way, would have made this Natty)
https://fansided.com/2017/12/03/college-football-playoff-rankings-bcs-standings/

https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/937403492095930368/photo/1

2018: #2 (Would have played for the natty)
https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/1069626503158276097/photo/1

2019: #3 (would have missed out on the Natty, but didn't win anyway)
https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/1202019482270609408/photo/1

2020: TBD, but would think we'd have a chance to jump OSU and ND with a win over ND.
https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/1334140388303642625/photo/1
https://twitter.com/BCSKnowHow/status/1333457563170516993/photo/1

So in Summary, Would have played for Natty in 2015, 2017, 2018. Would have missed out on our Natty win in 2016, but would have played for it in 2017 vs UGA (who knows what the outcome would have been). Would have also missed out on 2019 natty, but we didn't win that one anyway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 3:22 PM

I don’t see why it took as long as it did to take the bias out of the system and let the players settle it on the field!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 4:46 PM

Never in my life would I have expected Clemson to be a consistent top 5 team. Everything changed in the Taj boyd era.
in late 90's I used to live in Nebraska, Wisconsin etc and was a struggle to get clemaon on TV.
Today everything is differrent and so upbeat. Going to cFB is a given and gimme. Team is so loaded. UGA and oSU cannot stand Clemson. Man o man.. what an enviable pisipositiontion.
Every now and then when I see people badmouthing Elliott or Venables at times when games are not going great... I dont even know what to say !

I have to disagree. I'm 65 years old..........

Dec 4, 2020, 7:15 AM

and have been following Clemson football since the early 60s. The bad years of Clemson football are still on my mind - will never take our current success for granted.

Re: I have to disagree. I'm 65 years old..........

Dec 4, 2020, 8:01 AM

Thanks for the post tcoop. I still get nervous every Sat. Heck, I was about to stroke out when Pitt made it 38-17... Guess just an old nervous nellie.

Remembering the 60's and 70's. We had some great years and games to relish but we're still a young dynasty. I certainly don't forget and relish every single victory. Have to laugh at the ppl that get on here with the assumption we're in the playoffs. They'll be the first to jump ship if it takes on water.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm 68 and this appears to be my first real rodeo.

Dec 4, 2020, 4:24 PM

I've been around a while and haven't seen any hope or expectations like this since Danny was fired. Even then each game cost me fingernails. Now I know we're going to win and make the playoff. I know it!

After Dabo had been here a few years I prayed for one more NC before I died. It's in the donor's archives. I'm not stupid enough anymore to try and make a deal with The Lord. My soul and life allready belongs to Him so what do I bargain with? I just asked for one and record shows that He has given me twice what I asked for. Why should I doubt more are to come?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have to disagree. I'm 65 years old..........

Dec 4, 2020, 8:20 AM [ in reply to I have to disagree. I'm 65 years old.......... ]

One year behind you. I remember Marshall taking us at home. I remember Bama beating us 56-0 in '75 at their place and Oklahoma 52-3 in '72 when I was in HS. I take none of this for granted. We are living in the golden years and should enjoy the ride. One day Toad Ellis may be correct about us cycling out, however the Chickens will never cycle out of their misery for more than a few years. We will always own them and for that alone, I am very grateful.

Re: We are so spoiled . We forget where we came from.

Dec 4, 2020, 7:47 AM

I'm from the early 80's and was there for the ups and downs compressed into a very short time period. My freshman year we were 6-5 and HAD to beat the chickens to manage a winning season. (But that's still a vast improvement from my husband's 2-9 freshman year.) My sophomore year we were 12-0 and got to buy #1 shirts. Then we went 9-1-1 a couple of years when we were ineligible for bowls.

So, I appreciate the fact that when I ran across a list of the top 50 college coaches this week, I scrolled quickly through the first 45 to see where in the top 5 they listed Dabo. :)

We might be spoiled

Dec 4, 2020, 7:57 AM

Perspective, just because it's new to you doesn't mean it's new. :)

Clemson was hardly a "nobody" before 2010. We were an all-time top 25 football program prior to Dabo.

Everybody in my entire extended family knew who Clemson was back in 1991 when I was accepted, and I grew up half way across the country. I'm talking eveybody from 1st cousins to 80 yr old great aunts.

Everybody I knew was already familiar with Clemson University 30 years ago.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We might be spoiled

Dec 4, 2020, 8:12 AM

Oh, I agree, ppl knew but it wasn't a program that was mentioned like USC, Mich, OSU, Texas, Bama, Oklahoma, Nebraska, LSU or ND.

Stay humble. Relish every victory. Kinda like Dabo reminds us occasionally when ppl condemn a 20 point victory.

Re: We might be spoiled

Dec 4, 2020, 9:12 AM

The post sounded like a South Carolina fan pretending to be a sidewalk Clemson fan. It's not like prior to Dabo we were just some also-ran college football program all-time like UTEP, or South Carolina.

When my son was 15 he was amazed that video games, cell phones, the internet, and color televisions all existed before he was born...lol. He had no clue what Atari was, and couldn't believe the internet existed back when I was in high school. He thought texting was invented the day he got his 1st cell phone.

Let's stay humble, and also a little perspective about where we actually came from.

Dec 4, 2020, 8:14 AM

While I like your spirit I need to ask where does it say we "only" get 100 years to live.
Last time I checked with a dear friend who knew the statics ,he said the average life span was 74 years for men,76 for women( or close to it).He died 2 days short of his 57th birthday.
No offense intended but nothing short of right now is promised to anybody.
Feeling down in the dumps today and not meaning to offend anyone ,but hey I cold go before I finish

Dec 4, 2020, 8:14 AM

saying what I wanted to say.

We, Clemson, today, is the product of one man's vision. The

Dec 4, 2020, 9:24 AM

man's name is William Christopher Swinney. We call him Dabo.

He dared to dream of a Clemson Football Program that was far above and beyond what all the "Experts" said was our ceiling. (8-9 wins a year as our maximum, indeed.) Going all the way back to his hiring press conference, he knew what he wanted us to be. Even I had to scoff when he took the question about wanting us to have a program like the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world, and turned it around, saying that wasn't his vision. His vision was for us to have a program where THOSE schools wanted to be LIKE US! And, although it took him a few years, gosh darned if Dat crazy boy hasn't done it! Who could have ever dreamed that? Probably not many other than him and maybe Terry Don Phillips. TDP obviously saw something that the rest of us missed, especially after the disappointing 2010 season when the wolves were literally howling at the door. TDP, I am sure, took a lot of initial heat for the decision to retain Dabo at that time. It would have been so easy to boot him on down the road, and start over. Thank God for his foresight not to do that, or this Golden Age of Clemson Football that we are now in the midst of would never have happened.

Okay, I am exiting soapbox now. Whew, got wound up there on a Friday morning. Now I have to go to the Chiropractor and get straightened out some more. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2020, 9:25 AM

I see your point, and agree to an extent. In 1974 it was a 7 hr drive from my hometown to Clemson. Although not many people knew exactly where it was, they knew of it. They knew Clemson had good academics, a military tradition, and a football tradition.

Surprisingly, a number of folks knew Cootlumbia was the "country club of the south." I had classmates going to the ivy league, duke, Wake Forest, etc. A classmate attained a bit of celebrity status when he announced he was going to cootlumbia. Some were jealous he was going on a 4 year party. Little did they know the true horror he was walking into.

It still amazes me that we have the 17th largest stadium

Dec 4, 2020, 10:16 AM

in the entire United States in "little old Clemson." It makes no sense on paper that such a powerhouse would come from such humble beginnings. I am thankful every day for my university!

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson actually was a powerhouse in the beginning ...

Dec 4, 2020, 3:13 PM

We had John Heisman as our coach and were were a great program.

Then we let Heisman slip away to Ga Tech and it cost us.

If Heisman had spent his entire career at Clemson, we’d be on an Alabama, Notre Dame, Southern Cal level over the course of our history.

Dec 4, 2020, 4:15 PM

I think the majority of us remember where we came from. lots of new "FANS" that jump from bandwagon to bandwagon.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Dec 4, 2020, 4:17 PM

I shall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uh, not me..........

Dec 4, 2020, 4:30 PM

I grew up w/ Clemson football for 40+ years. Proud alumnus. I've suffered through the Ingram/Parker/Hatfield/West/Bowden years and no, I never take anything we are currently achieving for granted. Never.

Screw Calford.

Dec 4, 2020, 6:46 PM

It don't get no better than dis.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:40 PM

Anybody who missed Dabo's announcement speech needs to take the time to listen and appreciate it. you will be glad you did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jqITI2XETc

My time at CU '68-'72 was brutal. Well under .500 and 3 losses to the Cacks....

"I'm extremely proud of him"

Dec 5, 2020, 9:43 AM

I remember Danny Ford and Tommy West***

Dec 5, 2020, 10:17 AM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic