Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Elliott updates Kelly Bryant status, depth chart at QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 86
| visibility 1

FB Update: Elliott updates Kelly Bryant status, depth chart at QB

Oct 23, 2017, 12:00 PM

Elliott updates Kelly Bryant status, depth chart at QB

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A bit of information....

Oct 23, 2017, 12:02 PM

But no answers yet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A bit of information....

Oct 23, 2017, 12:04 PM

They are being vague on Bryant for a reason I believe

If I'm the coach...

Oct 23, 2017, 12:05 PM [ in reply to A bit of information.... ]

I'm not saying anything other than we'll know for sure by the time we kick off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If I'm the coach...

Oct 23, 2017, 12:08 PM

I don't blame them for being vague. I just hope Kelly gets himself fully well.

Oct 23, 2017, 2:08 PM

Really no need to be vague. GT defense will play us the same way regardless of who the QB is. Take your pick - a QB that is hurt, a QB that has not shown he can complete passes consistently, or an untested QB. Stop the run and make Clemson beat them by passing. Simple strategy, not so simple counter strategy if we don't have a talented passing QB. We have great RBs, but we don't an oline that can run block against a stacked box.

Oct 23, 2017, 12:52 PM [ in reply to If I'm the coach... ]

might be a few seconds after

Re: FB Update: Elliott updates Kelly Bryant status, depth chart at QB

Oct 23, 2017, 12:04 PM

Sounds like Cooper does better on the written test

lol, now if he would do better on the experiential test...***

Oct 23, 2017, 12:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing there to suggest he hasn' t or can't

Oct 23, 2017, 12:25 PM

He missed a couple throws..in a very high pressure situation..on the road.

Hunter Johnson has not been faced with anything of the sort. Not even remotely so. So who knows how he'd do in Zerrick's position at Syracuse? Certainly not you or I.

The coaches got it right, and they will get it right, even if that means pulling Zerrick in favor of the freshman with VERY limited experience, a small grasp of the playbook, and having one play of pressure-filled play.

To be continued. Meanwhile, let's stay off Zerricks butt and hope he peforms great if needed.

Go Tigers.

Correction, not ONE play of pressure...***

Oct 23, 2017, 12:26 PM

Re: Nothing there to suggest he hasn' t or can't

Oct 23, 2017, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Nothing there to suggest he hasn' t or can't ]

You don't know till you try it and we certainly don't know if the coaches got it right. I trust the coaches as much as anyone else but Zerrick just didn't look the part vs cuse and his completion % was padded by outstanding catches. Not saying Johnson would have performed better but he still should have got a shot. The season is on the line every game now and we can't afford to let seniority and practice results dictate who we play. If I'm Trevor Lawrence Id be wondering if I will get a chance early or will the coaches stick to seniority

Oct 23, 2017, 3:05 PM

Agreed- we don't know. Coaches are professional rationalizers who specialize in the fine art of CYA.

If you go with experience and fail, you have played the odds. If you go with a rookie and fail, it's "What were you thinking?!" How many times have you heard coaches (ours in particular) say, "Well, the kid looks good in practice, but who knows how he'll perform when the bright lights are on?" And then also say, so-and-so is starting because they looked better in practice. At the peak of my golf game, I was a 10 handicap on the course and a 2 handicap on the driving range- I know this syndrome.

Cooper had at his disposal a first-rate O-line, the deepest skill at WR we've ever had and the best running back tandem since Thunder and Lightning. I'll grant a little weakness at TE but they have made a few key catches this year. All that and we stunk it up against Cuse of all teams. I think some of that was conservative play calling but still the lights were on and Cooper failed to impress.

We have very limited evidence on Johnson but what we have is all good. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I recall hearing Dabo say that Hunter audibled into that TD throw. Maybe a bit less pressure than Cuse (can't believe I just typed that) but bright lights- check, look poised- check, hit 5 for five- check and most importantly score- check. He made the absolute most of his opportunity as they say in coach-speak. And also remember Cooper's missed throws in that game as well.

By any rational metric, he should have played at Cuse after it became obvious Cooper was not at his best.

And, as with your post, that brings us back to the future with Lawrence. While I don't think it would have happened, what if they had played Johnson right when Bryant went down and he lit Cuse up like a White House Christmas tree? Coaches feel so good, they decide they can afford to rest Bryant for this next game too and Hunter does it again and becomes the starter for the rest of the year. That's when Lawrence would really have something to think about. As it is right now, he's probably feeling pretty good about his chances seniority or not.

Oct 23, 2017, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Nothing there to suggest he hasn' t or can't ]

If playing against cuse was a very high pressure situation, what's it going to be like against GT in a night game in the valley?

So 10 days later

Oct 23, 2017, 12:05 PM

The offensive coordinator isn't sure if the QB is available to play this week ?

Seems to me someone should give Tony a call or im or email or tweet or stop by his office or something

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We in trouble..

Oct 23, 2017, 12:07 PM

maybe.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would he disclose that and tell GT anything?***

Oct 23, 2017, 12:09 PM [ in reply to So 10 days later ]

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, two weeks ago, TNet had the same thought.

Oct 23, 2017, 12:20 PM

"Why would we tell Syracuse anything?"

And it turned out that Dabo said Bryant was good to go.

Right now, I'm not sure if the coaches hold that information to themselves or it just means that Bryant is not quite ready to go. Personally, if it's not because the coaches don't want to tell GT anything, I'd be more comfortable if Bryant started practicing since last week. What that would tell me is it means Bryant is fine and has more time to rest. Now, I feel like he's not really 100% and has a risk to re-injure himself again.

I don't think they ever intended for him to practice...

Oct 23, 2017, 12:25 PM

last week.

He was in concussion protocol and rehabbing his ankle.

Re: So 10 days later

Oct 23, 2017, 12:21 PM [ in reply to So 10 days later ]

Was thinking the same thing. I get that he doesn't want to clue GT in on anything. But the OC doesn't know if the starting QB of the #7 team in the county is out of the protocol ?

Also, the "better grasp" and "experience" are ridiculous. Does anything matter other than "execution on the filed"?

This would be the same argument as saying we picked Lamar Jackson for the Heisman because he runs faster and throws less interceptions

Seriously?

Oct 23, 2017, 12:32 PM

Yes.. the OC has complete knowledge on the situation. An innumerable higher amount than you or I.

What execution are you referring to? Has Johnson seen one meaningful 3rd down, with the game on the line, in a hostile environment. No, nothing of the sort.

Lamar Jackson? Get outta here with that mess.

Re: Seriously?

Oct 23, 2017, 12:46 PM

I'm not talking about HJ, I'm talking about ZC. Forget the playbook and experience, can he play? I've seen no evidence of it. You're right, HJ has never been in that spot, but ZC has and what did it look like? And btw the only comparison I have is HJ leading a scoring drive in garbage time vs. WFU v. ZC short-hopping every pass in garbage time v. WFU

Let's just agree that hopefully KB comes back healthy and plays well :)

Oct 23, 2017, 12:56 PM

You're right on all counts. Sucks they are vague on Bryant, usually not a good sign,

Oct 23, 2017, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously? ]

How about the fact that ZC put us in scoring position on 3 of his first 4 drives, but we can't kick? There was a lot more wrong with the offense on that Friday night than quarterback.

Re: So 10 days later

Oct 23, 2017, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: So 10 days later ]

Which on of our QBs do you think GT would rather play against? Which would they rather not? Here's the choices. A starting QB at less than 100%, a QB that hasn't shown he can throw the ball consistently, or an untested QB? Not a very good place for us to be in is it?

Just cut it out.

Oct 23, 2017, 12:28 PM [ in reply to So 10 days later ]

They got this. You stick with resting your beer on the armchair ??

Re: Just cut it out.

Oct 23, 2017, 2:50 PM

Think highly of yourself while insulting others. Well played. NOT! No wonder you have a 75% rating.

Message was edited by: junk yard tiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2017, 12:12 PM

With a backup QB, this might become an old-fashioned smashmouth football game. And I would be perfectly fine with that.

yea, if backup QB was better runner...***

Oct 23, 2017, 12:19 PM

Oct 23, 2017, 12:15 PM

ZC might know the playbook but he better learn how to hit wide open WRs

"strongest arm on team", but where is the touch?***

Oct 23, 2017, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't call that an actual update***

Oct 23, 2017, 12:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Speak at it's Finest...

Oct 23, 2017, 12:28 PM

They don't want to tip of their hat to GT on who is playing....

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Coach Speak at it's Finest...

Oct 23, 2017, 1:10 PM

I pray that you're right. However, it's not like teams have a ton of film on Hunter. How could you scout a kid that's thrown a dozen passes?

Worried that the kid might transfer if he doesn't get some playing time because we have a world killer coming in next year.

If the coaching staff is so sure ZC is the answer why are

Oct 23, 2017, 12:32 PM

the practice reps pretty much even?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if Zerrick gets hurt?

Oct 23, 2017, 12:36 PM

Then Hunter needs to go in, with minimal reps?

was ZC getting half of the snaps when KB was healthy?***

Oct 23, 2017, 12:39 PM

I don't know.

Oct 23, 2017, 12:44 PM

But the comparison is not the same. It's perfectly clear why they are getting equal reps now - possible injury and nowhere else to turn, or perhaps ZC might miss another key throw or two.

yeah, that's kind of the point guy...If they thought ZC was

Oct 23, 2017, 12:46 PM

the answer, they wouldn't be repping Hunter evenly

You go ahead

Oct 23, 2017, 12:58 PM

and speculate all you want.

Really anxious to play this Saturday and see how this stuff shakes out.

Take care. Go Tigers!

you even said it yourself, they are repping Hunter in the

Oct 23, 2017, 1:14 PM

event that he has to replace an ineffective Cooper

You got it wrong.

Oct 23, 2017, 9:07 PM

The coaching staff has voiced confidence in ZC.

You said, "If the coaching staff is so sure ZC is the answer why are the practice reps pretty much even?", insinuating they don't have confidence in ZC, and in fact you are also suggesting the coaches are lying. That's NOT what I said.

So yeah, you're incorrect.

Re: yeah, that's kind of the point guy...If they thought ZC was

Oct 23, 2017, 5:24 PM [ in reply to yeah, that's kind of the point guy...If they thought ZC was ]

You, my friend, are clueless.

Thanks for the insightful observation...try posting

Oct 23, 2017, 6:54 PM

less

Oct 23, 2017, 12:34 PM

I actually have a friend that's very well connected to clemson football and he has been to multiple practices and stated that even in practice Hunter looks much better than Cooper. Idk how much you can take that but if a person who isn't a coach can see the obvious then why not our staff. I love our staff and coaches but our play calling and chose of qbs has me scratching my head and very frustrated but Go Tigers win and in!

LOL

Oct 23, 2017, 12:40 PM

How much is your "connected" friend paid for his third hand commentary? Does your connected friend or his connections coach football at any level?

No coach is going to share

Oct 23, 2017, 12:55 PM

information of his players, especially the QB, for the other team to use in their preparation. Why cant you understand this? Do you think we should give them a copy of the playbook and signals as well???

Re: LOL

Oct 23, 2017, 12:59 PM [ in reply to LOL ]

I do enjoy the "connected" information source! But I'm pretty sure there was at least one analyst who said the same thing at the beginning of year. I guess well see,

Oct 23, 2017, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott updates Kelly Bryant status, depth chart at QB ]

Well, why don't we just ask this friend or a friend, etc... Clearly he knows more than our staff. Geez, I can't believe you typed that message.

So, should we sell our NC State tickets?

Oct 23, 2017, 12:55 PM

now that Tnet says we are doomed. Asking for a friend.

Calling it right now

Oct 23, 2017, 1:00 PM

If for some reason Cooper gets the nod over Hunter Johnson, queue the chorus of boos from the Tiger faithful in attendance Saturday. I'll be at home booing at the TV. If KB is 100% absolutely healthy, start him. If he's 99% or less, give the start to someone else.

I just think Cooper is a headcase. The nerves get to him. Maybe the extra playing time will help with the nerves. However, this is not a time to experiment because we have a very tough stretch of games coming up. This Tiger offense needs to come alive now. We're not even a top 25 offense right now.

I think the problem is that we keep pushing the system on the players and not molding the system for our players we have. The outside screen game needs to go into the trash. Teams have scouted it and we don't have the WR/TE to block out in space as we did last year. More RPO's and deep looks to Overton, Higgins, Cain, and Richard please. Dump the ball off to 28/9 in space in the flats and let them get YAC. Hit the defenses at every part of the field, not just the outside boundary for 2 yards.

GT will be a tough out per the usual. We need to have controlled, efficient drives on offense, and not let our defense get worn down by GT's option. A healthy dose of 28/9, limit KB carries if he starts, lots of PA/deep throws, are what the DR orders.

Re: Calling it right now

Oct 23, 2017, 1:07 PM

THE IDIOCY ON THIS BOARD KNOWS NO BOUNDS.

deroberts

Oct 23, 2017, 1:12 PM

Exactly how am I an idiot?

Because I don't blindly follow every word that the coaches say? Because I don't pump sunshine?

I only want what's best for CU football. I perfectly have a reason to question the staff's decision making ability. If you need further proof, go back and watch the Syracuse or Pitt game.

Re: deroberts

Oct 23, 2017, 1:18 PM

BETTER READ AGAIN CLARK.

Oct 23, 2017, 1:25 PM

No reasoning, just... Hurr durr "BETTER READ AGAIN CLARK." In all caps. Simply amazing.

I will agree that this board does contain idiots. C'mon man... It's not called TardNet for no reason.

I think this place got that moniker due to people that post here ALL THE TIME.

Exhibit A: deroberts

Oct 23, 2017, 1:28 PM

ONLY POST WHEN I SEE SOMETHING IDIOTIC. GUESS YOU ARE RIGHT. I MUST POST A LOT.

Oct 23, 2017, 1:36 PM

Didn't know I had to repeat myself on a message board. Guess I have to here.

What did I say that was idiotic? If you can come up with a logical explanation or something else other than that gem, "BETTER READ AGAIN CLARK", HMU.

Oct 23, 2017, 1:38 PM

this, take your pick.

Calli­ng it right now
Posted: Oct 23, 2017 1:00 PM

If for some reason Cooper gets the nod over Hunter Johnson, queue the chorus of boos from the Tiger faithful in attendance Saturday. I'll be at home booing at the TV. If KB is 100% absolutely healthy, start him. If he's 99% or less, give the start to someone else.

I just think Cooper is a headcase. The nerves get to him. Maybe the extra playing time will help with the nerves. However, this is not a time to experiment because we have a very tough stretch of games coming up. This Tiger offense needs to come alive now. We're not even a top 25 offense right now.

I think the problem is that we keep pushing the system on the players and not molding the system for our players we have. The outside screen game needs to go into the trash. Teams have scouted it and we don't have the WR/TE to block out in space as we did last year. More RPO's and deep looks to Overton, Higgins, Cain, and Richard please. Dump the ball off to 28/9 in space in the flats and let them get YAC. Hit the defenses at every part of the field, not just the outside boundary for 2 yards.

GT will be a tough out per the usual. We need to have controlled, efficient drives on offense, and not let our defense get worn down by GT's option. A healthy dose of 28/9, limit KB carries if he starts, lots of PA/deep throws, are what the DR orders.

Oct 23, 2017, 1:40 PM

How about you go eat a bag of di cks without the handles, d ouche balloon.

Oct 23, 2017, 1:43 PM

now now that wasnt nice. i just disagreed with the stupid stuff you said.

Oct 23, 2017, 8:32 PM [ in reply to deroberts ]

I've always thought of what could have been if Watson had started from the beginning in 2014??? Play the best!

Oct 23, 2017, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Calling it right now ]

I agree DEROBERTS. It is sad, just sad there are no limits. In fact, I hope they do stay home and boo their TV then I will be around better company.

Oct 23, 2017, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Calling it right now ]

2 questions Doctor:
1. If Kelly is 100% why limit his carries??

2. How many boo birds does it take to make a chorus? We will be there Saturday as usual and if it were up to us all the boo birds would come to your house and join you watching it on TV where the booing can do no harm.

A tweaked ankle

Oct 23, 2017, 1:16 PM

takes several weeks to heal. Not to mention the concussion.

But let's be 100% honest here. KB is a great runner. It's his biggest asset. However, his passing game lately leaves something to be desired.

If he's still not 100%, why risk further injury? He will not be as effective as a runner. A bum leg affects all sorts of issues for a QB.

Re: A tweaked ankle

Oct 23, 2017, 1:54 PM

I agree if Kelly isn’t 100% he shouldn’t play. We have 2 other good qbs. What I didn’t understand is if he is playing and 100% why limit his carries.

Oct 23, 2017, 2:18 PM

I don't think KB is 100% TBH.

Limit his running to maybe 5ish QB designed runs due to injury concerns. If he re-injures the ankle for the 3rd game in a row, I believe that may be the end of his season. We will need him down the stretch.

Oct 23, 2017, 2:20 PM

he just said he was 80-85%. it is monday, not saturday.

Oct 23, 2017, 5:48 PM

Thanks for telling me what day it is. You may be useful for something after all. I doubt he will be 100%. KB also said he was good to go prior to the Syracuse game.

We know that he wasn't. I admire the man's grit but take some time and get healthy. No need to rush back in only to wind up hurt again.

Most players aren't 100% 7 games into the season!***

Oct 24, 2017, 9:42 AM [ in reply to A tweaked ankle ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

There is no way in hell if ZC starts he gets booed in

Oct 23, 2017, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Calling it right now ]

Death Valley Saturday night. You do not want to be sitting next to me doing that. Kid didn't look great at Syracuse, but if the coaches go with him there is a reason. I think we have to trust them here. I also think if he struggles, he got a legit shot to prove himself and the staff can move on to HJ if needed having given the guy that's been in the program longer at least a chance.

Re: There is no way in hell if ZC starts he gets booed in

Oct 23, 2017, 1:59 PM

Amen Brother!!! I hope I am sitting next to you Saturday night. The Death Valley crowd needs to perform at the highest level as well!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 23, 2017, 5:31 PM [ in reply to There is no way in hell if ZC starts he gets booed in ]

Amen!! Want to boo the kid... keep your sorry @$%@#$% home and away from me and other REAL fans.

Oct 23, 2017, 6:03 PM

Just telling you what's gonna happen.

Real fan? GTFO here man. If me questioning a coaching decision after a terrible loss makes me not a "real fan" then so be it. Better than being a sheep.

Oct 23, 2017, 7:38 PM

I believe the real fan comment was directed at the guy who promised to be booing at his tv if Zerrick gets the start. This ones not about you.

Oct 23, 2017, 7:41 PM

Oops that was you. I agree with Mr Smith.

Clemson fans like you

Oct 24, 2017, 9:32 AM

Give Clemson fans like me a bad name.

I'll bite

Oct 23, 2017, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Calling it right now ]

"Not time to be experimenting"? Playing Cooper would be less experimenting than playing Hunter Johnson. Hunter Johnson has less reps and knows less of the playbook. Tony Elliott said it himself as one of the OC's. If Bryant does not go I am perfectly fine with starting Cooper. If Cooper is not effective in his first 3 or 4 drives then we could try something else.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I like it when you bite

Oct 23, 2017, 2:14 PM

Signed,

Francis Marion®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I'll bite

Oct 23, 2017, 5:50 PM [ in reply to I'll bite ]

You honestly think what we have seen out of Zerrick Cooper is better than what we've seen out of Hunter? Cooper at the most should get 2-3 series to prove what he can do. Not a fan of the idea but the staff seem to be dead set on it.

Young highly rated QB is actually better than his more experienced counterpart. Yet, the staff show loyalty to the veteran. Hmmm, never seen that happen around here before.

FWIW, there's not a single college football player, this far

Oct 23, 2017, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Calling it right now ]

into the season, that's 100%. Unless they never play. A "not quite 100%" KB is obviously better than the others, according to those that know them best (ie- not TNet).

Also, you can boo all you'd like at home. Stay there. We don't want you in the Valley if that's your attitude.

Like generals discussing battle plans

Oct 23, 2017, 1:16 PM

Keep your enemy guessing.

Oct 23, 2017, 1:37 PM

Cole Stoudt had a better grasp of the offense and more experience over DW too. I mean, do you want to win practice or a football game? I understand they want to play the guy that does better in practice, but at some point you just got to go with the guy that's going to show up on game day!

Oct 23, 2017, 2:04 PM

I am OK with Cooper starting as long as our coaches are ready to pull a Spurrier and put Hunter in if Cooper can't get it done.

Oct 23, 2017, 2:09 PM

uh, did yall not hear kelly say he has been released from protocol and his ankle feels good. heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeello

Oct 23, 2017, 2:15 PM

I hadn’t seen that. Great News!!!

DE, I heard KB say his ankle felt good before SYR

Oct 23, 2017, 5:28 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Elliott updates Kelly Bryant status, depth chart at QB ]

Today on radio I heard John Feinstein recapping unexplainable losses this college year. Saving CLEM-SYR for last, he only said there was no possible explanation it was such an impossibly bad loss. But yes, KB said his ankle felt good before the SYR game. And he will keep saying it, even in a cast, to keep his starting position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't really see any sort of an update there....***

Oct 23, 2017, 4:36 PM

Replies: 86
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic