Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Time to Blow the Whistle on some "U of SC" Trash Talk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Time to Blow the Whistle on some "U of SC" Trash Talk

Mar 30, 2014, 4:49 PM

I can appreciate classy banter and even some crude put downs of our cross-state rivals. Yes, Clemson is marginally more difficult to gain admission to than U of SC.

Yet when 100% rated T-netters (probably 18 yrs old), state Columbia is all about "banging your sister", it's finally time to blow the whistle or give up on T-Net as a viable fan board.

How many Tiger families have a Tiger husband and a Gamecock wife or vice versa? How many great SC families have Gamecock brothers and Tiger sisters? Or Tiger grandmothers and Gamecock grandfathers?

I love to read about how there's something in these hills. And there is something in these hills beyond "incest humor". There's enough of those "jokes" about the state of SC coming from out of state. I take it with a grain of salt when UVA, UNC, Duke, Wake, GaT and other ACC programs accurately state their academic admittance stds are far greater than Clemson, and I note their smugness and lack of class. So why are some of our so-called fans acting like Clemson is Duke or Yale? We are not, but we are academically improving.

Can most of us over 18 agree there is more to being a "Clemson man or lady" than being vulgarly anti-University of South Carolina? Sometimes it's right thing to show the decency and class that some of our parents did their best to instill in us. I would love to hear from some Clemson families with "U of SC muggle blood". Where is the Reverend on this subject?

So anyway, carry on. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Time to Blow the Whistle on some "U of SC" Trash Talk

Mar 30, 2014, 5:05 PM

Hey, you going to get hammered for that post. I always do when I say Clemson tradition doesn't include vulgar, trashy coot taunting. Also, our children and grandchildren don't remember the domination they remember years of loss and ranting about how it will all change. Of the top five sports, they have dominated for the last five or six years in four of the five. It doesn't help to impotently call them thugs, sister lovers, second class students, etc. It reminds me of how we laughed at them calling us tractor drivers, sheep lovers and cow milkers. Impotent fist shaking in place of quality playing. Please let us not go down that path. It makes us look foolish to our kids and friends and the coots just smile and hold up five fingers.

We need to start winning, whatever it takes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love Clemson, love that I graduated from Clemson in '84,

Mar 30, 2014, 5:19 PM

I am comfortable in my own skin, I call things as I see them, and most of us have bigger worries than our T-Net rating. Do the right thing and typically things will work out in your favor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love Clemson, love that I graduated from Clemson in '84,

Mar 30, 2014, 5:29 PM

Well done-especially calling it like you see it!

As long as you realize

Mar 30, 2014, 5:16 PM

They have short memories and never shut their trap! Don't forget to remind them they have their own site as well.

At this rate, t-net is going to have to publish a manual on

Mar 30, 2014, 5:17 PM

how Tigers should act, and what they should say...

We all must be getting a failing grade...someone must need to be fired...

Yeah!

Mar 30, 2014, 5:19 PM

I hate when trash talking a rival gets offensive!

I think we should be more refined by saying things like "I don't think very highly of your institution of higher learning! Good day sir!"

That should pi$$ em off pretty good lol

Excellent post

Mar 30, 2014, 5:21 PM

When I hear a fan ripping the other side personally - I've been known to remind them - a few times- that their own wife (or brother, or grandfather) is a fan of the other team.

Or that their own son/daugther goes to the other school.

Just last week I was in a class at school (volunteering) and I heard a student saying about the other school, "their fans are idiots"

I gently reminded him- politely - that his very own teacher was a fan of that school and a big fan. The egg on his face was heavy - but since he was a middle schooler - I just reminded him that in our state- the "fans" you say you "hate" are often family members and trusted friends.

Re: Excellent post

Mar 30, 2014, 5:44 PM

there are Clemson fans and Clemson graduates and in the in between. many here who post the type things you mention did not graduate or attend the university and are football fans who have to choose to be a fan of the folks in Columbia or us. most who live in this state are fans of one or the other. many do not know of the history or traditions of the tigers nor the academic background. and as I have mentioned in posts here some don't join as members of this site or iptay and take pride in calling others names because they disagree. my point being don't lump all people on tnet in the same way. take notice how many are paying members of this site as you read and it will give you a better understanding.

We are Yale compared to that degree factory....

Mar 30, 2014, 5:35 PM

Sorry bud, but Clemson fans are sick and tired of random Johnny Come Lately shamecock fans coming up and talking trash to a person they don't even know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. #### USuC.***

Mar 30, 2014, 5:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Come on, man

Mar 30, 2014, 5:51 PM

They NEVER demean our school (Clemsux, KKKlempson), our coaches (Dumbo) or our students (Taters). We should show them at least as much class as they show us.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude

Mar 30, 2014, 5:55 PM

You do realize these are just posts anonymously posted on a

Mar 30, 2014, 6:01 PM

message board. Do you really think any of us actually talk that way to a shamecock fan to their face? No we don't.

We have different ideas on what the word "marginal" means.

Mar 30, 2014, 7:06 PM

The trade school in Columbia is NOT marginally easier to get into then Clemson. As a school, we are not peers. It s an apple and an orange.
Clemson is a much higher rated school. Much harder to get into - competitive. If you got accepted to both schools and then asked 100 academics where you should go - 99 would say Clemson. Clemson is nationally relevant - SC is only relevant in the state.
That being said - going to SC is better than not going at all. I had some good friends go and graduate from SC. Get as much education as possible, go to as good a school as possible.
Again - SC is not a peer. Rival maybe, but not peer.
One allows reprobates.
One allows much lower GPA and SAT scores.
One allows athletes with very questionable pasts to enroll.
One has national ranking 50-100 spots higher - rated by independent services.
One is in a crime infested city (partially due to the students they allow in).
One has a rich tradition.
One is represented by poultry.
One has a coach who is a drunk and staff peeing on the street.
Facts are hard to refute.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Suzi, You're a great fan and I doubt you are accusing

Mar 30, 2014, 9:06 PM

SC fans of incest and bestiality. If you are, god bless us all.

Socman...

Mar 30, 2014, 7:58 PM

I agree with much of your post but I see where other folks are coming from, as well. I have been known to chuck some vitriol in the faces of Carolina fans (when it was warranted) in my day but the level of their obnoxiousness has gotten to the point where I question whether civility will ever return between the 2 schools. On the whole, I truly believe Clemson has a better "class" of fans....esp. amongst the older set. The loudest, most annoying gamecocks seem to be under 25 or 30. Clearly, they picked "their" team during this unfortunate and unprecedented run. 30 years ago, these youngsters would have become Tigers and learned from their elders that you win or lose with dignity. That's not happening today.

I actually recently had this very discussion with one of my oldest friends, a USC grad and one of the finest men I've ever known. He acknowledged that many of their younger fans are completely out control. He blamed it on 3 things and there may be some merit to his points.

1. CU has dominated for so long that a role reversal was bound to happen and neither schools' fans have quite figured out how to accept it.

2. Dabo's "rant" and Spurrier's outbursts. Before these occurred, the trash talking was primarily done by fans and school representatives for the most part stayed above the fray. Heck, I think Danny and Joe Morrison genuinely liked each other. Regardless, neither bashed their rival's school publicly in a manner that, while humorous, was bound to infuriate every single fan and alumni of the other and escalate the hatred. SOS' constant digs fall into the same category as Dabo's press conference. It's like the man cannot say a single thing abt his team without mentioning Dabo or Clemson. It is truly bizarre.

3. Carolina 'fans", again mainly the younger ones, who didn't go to school there....have no true appreciation of the tradition of rivalries.....and have been raised in a culture where it is "cool" to publicly degrade others and never has there been a worse environment than that of our twitter, facebook and message board- obsessed society.

Thanks for the well thought our reply Cohiba ...

Mar 30, 2014, 9:01 PM

You're a gentleman and a scholar and make some intelligent points. I am far from politically correct and enjoy a good pissing match but tend to refrain from institutional coarseness ...

On Point.

Mar 31, 2014, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Socman... ]

My level of contempt with the coots starts and ends on the internet. In real life, I have family and friends who are coots. Love them to death. The internet is place not to be taken to seriously.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I agree, especially since we've lost in football to them....

Mar 30, 2014, 8:44 PM

for five straight years - anything we say right now sounds like desperation or sour grapes.

Re: I agree, especially since we've lost in football to them....

Mar 30, 2014, 8:56 PM

Yeah, I hate when i see Clemson fans defending Clemson even after losing to a hated rival!

What type of fan base does that?!

CU fans , UGA fans, and SC fans are the same breed

Mar 30, 2014, 9:44 PM

Only really really dumb people think one fan base is worse than the other.

Re: CU fans , UGA fans, and SC fans are the same breed

Mar 30, 2014, 10:18 PM

As Lumberger would say to The Bobs, '06......yeeaaaaaah, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. UGA fans are a whole different species of animal than CU or USC folks. One visit to Athens is all it takes for most people...

Re: CU fans , UGA fans, and SC fans are the same breed

Mar 30, 2014, 11:28 PM

I live 12 miles from Athens. Dawg fans as a whole are far worse than coots, in my opinion.

Of your generation perhaps.***

Mar 31, 2014, 7:59 AM [ in reply to CU fans , UGA fans, and SC fans are the same breed ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Time to Blow the Whistle on some "U of SC" Trash Talk

Mar 30, 2014, 11:46 PM

Sorry, but I think that it's a complete waste of time to trash your athletic neighbors.

Even at games, I can't believe that "Clemson fans" will CEASE CHEERING for the Tigers in order to boo the opposing team - even teams in our own state that have no chance of winning the game. It's less than classless.

True fans are fans of their own team and, secondarily, fans of the game, of competition, and of sport.

Spending time talking Carolina down, even with notoriously poor puns and plays on words, is beneath a true Southern Gentleman (or Gentlewoman.)

how is SC irrelevent

Mar 30, 2014, 11:52 PM

When Business, International Business, and the Honors College all consistently ranked top 5 in the country.

You get flybys here bc you have some posters who r just dickheads. I come to this board to talm sports but unfortunately that isnt possible for some. I would love to get some real fan insight on some clemson topics but yall would rather answer questions with assanine insults.

Re: how is SC irrelevent

Mar 31, 2014, 12:23 AM

Dre, I believe you'll find many folks here that would love to talk abt sports....but you're going to have to clean up your language. I'm guessing you're under 25.....which is the point I was trying to get across in my earlier post.

Ok, well...see ya!***

Mar 31, 2014, 5:16 AM [ in reply to how is SC irrelevent ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

During my freshman "Rat Season" year an upperclassman

Mar 31, 2014, 5:01 AM

educated me about the difference between Clemson and other schools.

You see, the Almighty in His infinite wisdom decreed that decent, good people would attend Clemson. The rest would go elsewhere....Kind of an excuse to say that I'm better than you 'cause I'm a Clemson man!

The only problem with that assertion is that alumni of those other schools believe they are the Chosen, so to speak. Hence, what follows is internecine warfare among our community of fellow mankind, and over time some of the vitriol has been expanded to correspond with the expansion of street language.

As another TNetter pointed out, most of what we read on TNet is attributable to the anonymity afforded; thus, it's easy enough to brush aside, which is precisely one thing we need to do. The other, perhaps, should be careful consideration of what we post prior to hitting the "Post Message" button.

Lastly, as for me, I don't hate Gamecocks...never have...never will. I just think they should bow in our presence.............and leave Coach Spurrier and their A team in the locker room during our next game! Hmmmmmmmmmm

Re: During my freshman "Rat Season" year an upperclassman

Mar 31, 2014, 5:52 AM

Well said, Hartins. You hearing of many stripers being caught on Murray? I'm itching to catch a mess.

Not much yet....Ordinarily, I'd already be out on the lake,

Mar 31, 2014, 6:11 AM

but have pulled my boat out of the water for a major clean up and servicing.

I've noticed more fishermen up near the towers with the weather improving, but I haven't heard what they're catching.

Message was edited by: hartins®

Re: Not much yet....Ordinarily, I'd already be out on the lake,

Mar 31, 2014, 6:21 AM

Thanks for the report. I have a buddy who fishes rivers up your way primarily but he's been too busy turkey hunting oos to go. Those Midlands folks take it pretty seriously....he's got a friend who has built a refrigerated bait pen to hold young rainbow trout to use as bait. He swears by them and fishes with nothing else.

Sorry for highjacking the thread, OP...

ah man... so I can't call my coot brother in law

Mar 31, 2014, 7:49 AM

A sister banger? Heavens to mergatroid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Folks making fun of south carolina is your problem?

Mar 31, 2014, 9:10 AM

I got over that when The Beverly Hillbillies aired 50 years ago.

Signed
Tennesseeboy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If this is your first time on the Internet...

Mar 31, 2014, 9:22 AM

Then you are in for a surprise. Btw the "enlargement" adds are a scam....said a friend I knew like years ago

I hear you. But, just for the record - my extended family

Mar 31, 2014, 10:00 AM

has many (10+) Clemson graduates and 0 SC graduates. My family tree is pure.

:)

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic