Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Nominations Sought for Clemson Ring of Honor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

General Update: Nominations Sought for Clemson Ring of Honor

Apr 29, 2013, 11:06 PM

Nominations Sought for Clemson Ring of Honor

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just a few

Apr 29, 2013, 11:13 PM

Gaines Adams
Danny Ford
CJ Spiller

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: just a few

Apr 29, 2013, 11:41 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth!

CJ is just a matter of time until he is eligible

Apr 30, 2013, 12:13 AM

He'll be a first ballot HOF, then probably into the ring of honor soon after he retires from the NFL.

Jim Phillips!!

Apr 29, 2013, 11:21 PM

Why is the Voice not up there? He should receive it posthumously. No did to Pete Yanity, but Jim was, is, and always will be the (one and ONLY) Voice
of the Tigers. Get him up there with Mr. B!!

Does not meet the 4 year degree requirement

Apr 29, 2013, 11:45 PM

he never graduated college. He worked his way up in his profession the old fashioned way, on the job. But that doesn't count. He is an honorary alumnus of Clemson and in the HOF. Will be inducted to the SC HOF in May

That sounds like a stupid requirement

Apr 30, 2013, 9:22 AM

for non athletes at least.

Danny Ford for sure.

Apr 29, 2013, 11:51 PM

Hopefully the political aspect of it all wouldn't be an issue any more. After all, that was over 20 years ago. He meets the requirements listed above.

Jim Phillips did not earn a college degree and does not meet the requirement. Tim Bourret should be in it one day though, if you ask me.

I think it's too soon for C.J. Spiller. Gaines Adams doesn't merit being there in my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

love Tim, but Bob Bradley before him

Apr 29, 2013, 11:59 PM

Danny should be in there. I have a personal interest with Jim Phillips and understand the rule. In his defense, most people who began work in the early 1950's did not have a college degree. He'd be the first one to tell you he was no college student. He caught a break while at Ashland College in Ohio and entered broadcasting and then earned everything he received. I personally believe an exception could be made as his circumstances are unique. It's not like his situation is likely to ever come about again. But like I said, I'm personally invested. Either way, we understand

Re: Jim Phillips!!

Apr 29, 2013, 11:54 PM

No doubt. Circumvent the degree mumbo jumbo, he is irreplacable and deserves to have his name on the ring of honor in the stadium that he brought alive in the minds of so many listeners , myself included.
Jim Phillips should be a noBrainer !!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Schools award honorary doctorates all the time

Apr 30, 2013, 12:01 AM

I too believe something could be done here

Completely agree! The rules should have allowed for

Apr 30, 2013, 4:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Jim Phillips!! ]

exceptions, for Jim is clearly deserving of this honor. I miss hearing his voice to this day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about a statue of him outside the stadium?

Apr 30, 2013, 4:44 AM

If he can't be in the ring, clearly something else needs to be done to honor him.

Eddie Smith***

Apr 29, 2013, 11:54 PM

You know, I ran into him in Charlotte not too long ago...

Apr 30, 2013, 12:01 AM

he was showing a group of Communication students around the law school here. I'll put it this way...he hasn't changed much since I was there (I was class of 2001).

If you went to Clemson since he started teaching there, and you don't have a good Eddie Smith story or quote, then you may need to go back and try again!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Larry Shyatt, Rob Spence, and Milton Jennings***

Apr 30, 2013, 3:17 AM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jack Hines***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:54 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jim Phillips! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!***

Apr 30, 2013, 8:40 AM

In 2025

Apr 30, 2013, 9:00 AM

Tajh Boyd.

Danny Ford, BDawk, CJ***

Apr 30, 2013, 9:01 AM

We all need to back a campaign for Danny

Apr 30, 2013, 9:12 AM

There are many deserving nomination, but no one else should be placed into the ROH until we have Danny Ford's name in the ring.

This board has helped promote Tiger players in polls on ESPN, magazine covers, and Gameday!! We need to do the same for Danny. Do all that you can. To have everyone you know. To send in a nomination for Danny!

A thousand times this

Apr 30, 2013, 9:25 AM

I may end my boycott of the US Postal Service (a fancy way of saying I'm too cheap to buy stamps) to send in a letter on Coach Ford's behalf.

Re: We all need to back a campaign for Danny

Apr 30, 2013, 9:15 AM

Raise money for a statute of him being carried off like after the OB.

Question?

Apr 30, 2013, 9:22 AM

Isn't the maximum one inductee per sport every two years?

Fred Hoover***

Apr 30, 2013, 9:55 AM

John Heisman

Apr 30, 2013, 12:05 PM

The next Ring-of-Honor inductee should be John Heisman. He meets every criteria, he certainly has earned the honor and he did great things for the football program here in the few years he was head coach. Besides that, the university should be doing everything it can to accentuate Clemson's link to the most prestigious award in college football. It seems like an obvious, win-win situation.

Just my opinion,
-Moon

Woody Dantzler***

Apr 30, 2013, 12:22 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few across multiple sports

Apr 30, 2013, 1:41 PM

Jimmy Key, baseball (not sure if he graduated)
David Treadwell, football
Chris Gardocki, football
Gigi Fernandez, Women's Tennis

Probably a cycle or two too early Dawk. I don't think Ford will make it while he's alive...

Same for Tim Bourret

Agree on Jim Phillips

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic