Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watched a show the other night about the Voyager space craft
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Watched a show the other night about the Voyager space craft

Jan 19, 2020, 1:59 AM

that actually left the heliosphere/solar system in 2013. It is scheduled to do a fly-by (get within 1.7 light years) of a RELATIVELY nearby star at some point. Right now, Voyager is in interstellar space and the star is 17.6 light years from Earth. The star is named AC +79 3888. It is not Alpha Centauri A, Alpha Centauri B, or Proxima Centauri, not sure why as they are closer. Maybe they aren't on the drift path. Anyway, the fly-by is scheduled to take place in 40,000 years. Voyager will obviously no longer be transmitting, but it will keep going. They said there is nothing to stop it from continuing to truck on and on. It is supposed to still be going even after our Sun becomes a red giant and dies in 5 billion years. It will be very far away from our solar system by then, but I'm not sure if it will have left our galaxy. Though there are trillions of galaxies out there, the nearest one is Andromeda and that is over 2 million light years away. I'm not sure what intergalactic space is like. I have a feeling its a lot like the ride from Atlanta to Augusta. And, spoiler alert, Voyager is not traveling at the speed of light.

Well, long story short, Clemson has won 3 national championships in football. I would be willing to bet that when Voyager makes the fly-by of AC +79 3888 in 40,000 years, the coots will still not have 1 national championship in football. I'm thinking they might not even have a CFP appearance by then. Most of those years, it will be their beloved Bama that will take their spot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watched a show the other night about the Voyager space craft

Jan 19, 2020, 2:30 AM

“It’s so very lonely, coots are 2 million light years from home.”

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope Dabo is still our coach then***

Jan 19, 2020, 3:16 AM

Re: Hope Dabo is still our coach then***

Jan 20, 2020, 2:31 PM

in a sense you may get your wish,as he will probably be embalmed and available for viewing at home games in DV,obviating the need for a bronze statue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 19, 2020, 3:50 AM

Someone please help me count how long our winning streak will be by then...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, you need your vision checked

Jan 19, 2020, 5:23 AM

if you can't see this streak hitting double digits. I could see it hitting the VT/UVA level easily. I won't be satisfied until it gets to be equal to the ND/Navy streak, which I believe was 43. By the time it gets to that, a lot of us will have died happy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2020, 1:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Watched a show the other night about the Voyager space craft ]

It won't be Zero like that other FB program stationed in the middle of SC!!! Just 1 more will be 4 times more than they will ever have!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2020, 7:43 AM

"VGER" is still conquering planets and anything in its' path. Spock and Kirk are searching for VGER now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUZCVl28lg

Jan 19, 2020, 9:10 AM

You are probably familiar with Dr. Vanessa E Wyche,Deputy Director of NASA and a Clemson lady of the class of 85 and 87. She is heavily involved with the Orion project that will send Americans to the lunar surface again

Great Tigers. You see them everywhere! Support Clemson.

Jan 19, 2020, 9:42 AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanessa_E._Wyche

Excellent opportunity to bring up Vanessa and her outstanding career at the Johnson Space Center. She is from Conway. I attended high school in the Pee Dee basin and I can remember driving more than one hour to Conway in 1979 to take the SAT. Folks, when you have to drive more than one hour to the nearest location just to take the SAT, you are living out in the woods. The world wasn’t giving out free passes to kids taking the SAT in rural South Carolina those days. Congratulations to Vanessa.

Jan 19, 2020, 10:02 AM

Thanks for posting that bio of Dr Wyche. Tnet is Comedy Central for a lot of youngsters and I love to read post such as yours for a change!

Jan 19, 2020, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Watched a show the other night about the Voyager space craft ]

Doc how did you end up in Cambridge coming from the Peedee?

Wow! I was not familiar and she was in my graduating class.

Jan 19, 2020, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Watched a show the other night about the Voyager space craft ]

Thanks for this.

Jan 20, 2020, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Watched a show the other night about the Voyager space craft ]

Gen Jay Raymond, Class of '84 was just named by President Trump as Commander of US Space Force when it separated from USAF.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a lot just to take a shot,,,,

Jan 19, 2020, 9:29 AM

even if it was a coot shot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2020, 9:36 AM

Ground control to Major Tom.

P.S. I be danged if I wait up that night when it passes the star. I need my sleep.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2020, 1:32 AM

Just stand by your computer!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in psace, no on ecan hear a Coot rooster cawh!***

Jan 19, 2020, 9:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Hopefully our streak over the coots will still be in tact

Jan 19, 2020, 9:46 AM

in 40,000 years.

Jan 19, 2020, 9:52 AM

A lot like the trip from Atlanta to Augusta! That is funny! Wish I could give you more than one point.

Jan 19, 2020, 10:06 AM

Coots have been "Lost In Space" for a long time, and it doesn't seem like they are going to be found anytime soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2020, 2:24 PM

They were infected by The Andromeda Strain...

Jan 23, 2020, 9:09 AM

I believe they are infected, alright, but they probably caught it in the parking lot with one of their co-ed's.

Jan 19, 2020, 5:20 PM

And, yet, it wont make it wont the Ort cloud while anyone alive today is still alive. Best we can do is look at most of the universe as it was before the earth was formed through the Hubble telescope. We will never see the universe as it exist today

Sure will be glad to see spring practice get here.

Jan 20, 2020, 12:29 PM

Don’t you mean the ORTH Cloud? ??????

No way Voyager is 17 light years away from Earth

Jan 19, 2020, 6:52 PM

It was launched in the 1970s or thereabouts. For easy calcs, let's say 1970. Then it's been flying an even 50 years. To get 17 light years away from earth it would need to be traveling 17/50 or about 34% of the speed of light. It is not moving that fast. It's going 30 or 40,000 mph. Speed of light is 6.7 x 10^8 mph.

But, I do like the way you elegantly brought in the coots!

Duh...the STAR is 17.6 light years. Makes sense.

Jan 19, 2020, 6:53 PM

nm

I think you need to reread my post. The star that the

Jan 19, 2020, 7:34 PM [ in reply to No way Voyager is 17 light years away from Earth ]

Voyager will come within 1.7 light years of is 17 light years away from the earth. The Voyager exited our solar system in 2013. Obviously it has not had time to be 17 light years from Earth. It will be approximately 16 light years from Earth in 40,000 years. It will come within 1.7 light years of a star in what NASA is calling a fly-by in 40,000 years. The star is what is 17 light years from Earth.

Re: I think you need to reread my post. The star that the

Jan 20, 2020, 1:42 AM

Was there not anyway the coot FB program could have been loaded into that space buggy and hauled far away from our planet earth and save our great state of SC from all the embarrassment that they cause us!!!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic