Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watched Ken Burns Cty Music Film & learned AUBURN Frosh last person in Hank Williams life..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,898

Watched Ken Burns Cty Music Film & learned AUBURN Frosh last person in Hank Williams life..

Sep 18, 2019, 5:47 PM

since Hank had hired young 17 year old Carr to drive him in his 1951 baby blue Caddie Convertible from Alabama (on Dec 30-Jan 1,1952) to two important & career-needed music venues in Tn & Canton Ohio..and the weather was nasty with rain & snow on those mountainous two-lane roads.

Hank had recently been fired from the Grand Ole Oprey & relegated to singing at a lowly hay-down stage venue in Louisiana.

His fun song Jambalaya had just come out & while riding with young Auburn student and listening to it on the car radio, he asked Carr what he thought of the tune, and Carr said it made no sense..and Hank laughed and said: You Son-of-a-BiXch...you think the same as I do about those French!

As you may know Hank died in the back seat of probably a heart attach after talking drugs with alcohol plus couple morphine shots those 2 days due to old back problems.

He was only 29, 6-2" & 130 lbs at death.

Boy, what singer & showman he was and tipped big too. In fact, at his last meal he tipped waiter $50 which would be $443 today!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watched Ken Burns Cty Music Film & learned AUBURN Frosh last person in Hank Williams life..

Sep 18, 2019, 6:31 PM

My guess is the mix of morphine and alcohol caused his respiratory system to shut down. And yes that was a very good episode. He was only on the music scene for a short time but wow what an impact he made....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watched Ken Burns Cty Music Film & learned AUBURN Frosh last person in Hank Williams life..

Sep 18, 2019, 7:43 PM

Great Series that gives the rest
of the story on A lot of the Musicians.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2019, 8:45 PM

it was during my 1st year at CU that a friend there introduced me to hank and that lead to an appreciation of real country music that still rings true.that intro led me to the original jimmy rogers,the carter family,george jones,and on and on.from there I got into Cajun and zydeco as well.the value of the college experience wasn't always about what you learned in the classroom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 18, 2019, 9:48 PM

Hope this link works - a good one of Hank's back in the day.

https://youtu.be/yvHYRJdzbig

Sep 18, 2019, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Watched Ken Burns Cty Music Film & learned AUBURN Frosh last person in Hank Williams life.. ]

My Dad grew up two houses down from Hank and went to school with him. Later on Hank's Mom would drive him to the radio station there in Montgomery Ala.. He would play and sing outside trying to get on the radio and it finally worked and the rest is history. My Dad played and sang in country bands on the side into his 60's. He knew every Hank Williams song and sounded just like him. My Dad was offered good money to travel and sing his songs but he had a wife and working on 6 of us kids and didn't want to be away from the family but locally here in the upstate ( where my Mom is from ) He was a big hit. I grew up listening to Hank and Dad singing Hank and other country artist from that era. That was real country music.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 11:20 AM

Most people don't know , but Hank was born with Spina Bifida and had pain his whole life .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven't watched yet...but listening to the soundtrack

Sep 19, 2019, 7:57 AM

from the documentary...Holy Carp it is over 5 hrs of music! Will definitely have to check it out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 1:01 PM

Quite interesting

BTW, on the historical track, I watched ESPN’s History of SEC Football the other night. It was quite good. I really liked the way they established how the national and regional culture of the US had a lot to do with how the SEC is shaped today

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,898
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic