Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wasn't everyone virtual home schooling all last year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 352

Wasn't everyone virtual home schooling all last year?

Jan 19, 2021, 12:15 PM

Why is it such a big deal now?

I don't keep up with this stuff, so I have no idea what I'm asking I guess.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, about half of the kids in the country, give or take,

Jan 19, 2021, 12:17 PM

went back to school when it started in the fall. Those are the ones that are bitching about it now. They're right, it sucks. But I also don't want to hear about it since I did it for 4 months that they didn't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So some folks were at school last fall?

Jan 19, 2021, 12:19 PM

I thought everyone was home?

Kids of Obed were at school in fall, and at school now.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:25 PM

They yanking everyone out in SC?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got me. Whatever is going on must be turrible

Jan 19, 2021, 2:26 PM

because lots of folks in here squealing about it

Last school year? YES. BECAUSE IT IS AWFUL!!!***

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's about to be a major switch

the ones face to face are complaining about COVID policies and the constant upheaval of class wide and sometimes school wide quarantining. So they are wanting to go virtual for consistency.

The ones who are virtual are begging to come back face to face because they realized that if there isn't a teacher/parent standing over them constantly making sure they do their work, then the kid doesn't do anything at all and ends up failing.

There are no right answers and teachers are just as frustrated as the parents/students.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I'd like them to try the hybrid first

Jan 19, 2021, 12:38 PM

Especially for elementary/pre schools schools.

SIL is a 5yo teacher at a local Baptist church preschool. They never shut down or anything. Teachers have to wear masks. Kids...nope/can't.

Well, these are infants through 5yo's in this school (they don't get or pass it right). SIL teaches 5yo's. She had two students in her class go absent because their parents got it. That's fine. But then two more students IN HER CLASS got it, with symptoms, and were taken out. Then two more got it, with symptoms, and their only exposure was the other two kids. So they're pretty sure they got it in class from the other kids. So she's down 6 students. Fine.

Meanwhile, this was also happening in other classes. Some classes were half empty. So they shut the school down. SIL THEN LEARNED that every teacher on her floor had tested positive, and half the teachers in the school. So it's totally closed now. For two weeks.

Granted, in the preschool they don't require masks for the kids, only the adults/teachers. But the kids were spreading it, maskless, even at that age among themselves and to masked teachers.

Last Friday was the last time we were around her, and she's now getting tested, hence the possible continuation of our quarantine. The masks for the kids are essential in other words.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The even better news is that there is rodesian ridgeback

Jan 19, 2021, 2:30 PM

variant that is more contagious than yawning, and the vaccines are already outdated for it. Apparently even the folks who have already had covid can get it because its a different strain and there are no antibodies to it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9162593/Up-HALF-Covid-survivors-vulnerable-South-African-variant.html

I didn't know, but evidently a while back the virus

Jan 19, 2021, 2:54 PM

changed to evade the tests. The PCR test, the gold standard for covid tests, uses three different genetic markers to look for. They picked three and the reason there are three is so if the virus mutates, and one marker disappears, the tests still work. Well, one of the markers disappeared a long time ago in the virus. Leaving two. With these new variants, they're also wondering if antibody treatment, survivors antibodies, tests, or even the vaccine may be eventually circumvented.

I'm sure glad the british decided to keep up with this stuff and reminded us to do the same. California joins Ohio now with their own variant. None of this is really newsworthy except they made it newsworthy. There are literally thousands of variants out there. But there may come a time when they evade testing, antibodies, or the vaccine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I figure at some point, its going to kill as many people

Jan 19, 2021, 2:55 PM

as its going to.

Well, we hit 400,000 today.

Jan 19, 2021, 3:21 PM

Ugh....

I didn't think it was possible, but it may very well catch heart attacks or cancer on a full year of being around. While the virus itself is comparable to 1918 Spanish flu, modern medicine has saved us even with no cure or treatment. With the US population around 100 million in 1918, 675,000 people died from the Spanish flu. Scale that up for today's population and that's almost 2 million deaths. So it's 80% less severe than 1918 in terms of deaths. But we have oxygen, and they didn't. You can only imagine if absolutely no one had access to oxygen, which is why the viruses are probably comparable if treated in 1918.

Mine were home March-end of 2019-2020 school year

Was awful since there was no plan and the kids were not used to it. School now is in fully unless there is a positive, then they go virtual for 2 weeks. Also virtual for a week after Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. Virtual is MUCH easier this year.

Kids are 12 and 9.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Virtual home schooling had Grandma dropping F bombs.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:33 PM

1st grade got ZERO on spelling test because Caps Lock key was on.

110% credit for all kids and parents working their way through this.

Kids deserve an extra recess / PE period for a year and every parent, a beverage or three of their choice.

my kids were 100% in person and I'm grateful

Jan 19, 2021, 2:12 PM

I think we're going to have a generation of kids that are 1 year ahead of their peers and the differences will be most apparent among the poorest kids.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forget that stuff, grandparents are about to get their 2nd

Jan 19, 2021, 2:30 PM

dose of vaccine... they can deal with them this time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 352
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic